Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2023, 05:22   #1

Survey of Volvo Penta D2-75

I (think) I know enough to survey the sailboat we will have delivered in end of April. Rig, sails, hull, electric system, electronics I'm quite comfortable with, but there is a blank space: the engine. It's a Volvo Penta D2-75, only some 150 hours and I don't expect anything but nevertheless.

Any advice on what/how to survey the engine?
AClemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 17:23   #2

Re: Survey of Volvo Penta D2-75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClemens View Post
I (think) I know enough to survey the sailboat we will have delivered in end of April. Rig, sails, hull, electric system, electronics I'm quite comfortable with, but there is a blank space: the engine. It's a Volvo Penta D2-75, only some 150 hours and I don't expect anything but nevertheless.

At 150 hrs that Volvo is only just out of its second oil change so not much is likely to be apparent.... however, crankcase pressure is a good indicator of engine health (or illness) and a seatrial under full rpm will give you a fair idea of vibration and temperature conditions if they exist.... check the exhaust for smoke during the seatrial too.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 18:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClemens View Post

Hire a mechanic to survey the engine if you don’t know much about engines.

Do you really expect a paragraph or two to tell you everything that you need to look for? Especially one of unknown age, unknown maintenance history, in an unknown boat, in an unknown location with unknown running gear? So much more to look at than running hours. I would consider a 10 year old engine with 150 hours of operation to be a potentially serious source of problems. One that was a year old would be very lightly used.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 14:00   #4

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

We rely on oil and coolant samples to help assess engine health.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 16:18   #5

I’m curious to know what the forum thinks a hired mechanic engine survey actually consists of other than a compression test via the glowplug holes, reset the valve clearances, pressure test the cooling system and check the oils and belt tensions??
How far does the test actually go? Does the gearbox and engine alignment get included? oil analysis, gear and engine?
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 17:21   #6

You don’t tell anything about the vessel itself......is it a factory built vessel with only 150 hours on the engine, or is it an older vessel that has been repowered with this engine and collected the 150 hours?

If it’s an OEM installation I would do the basics as listed by SkipperPete and let it go at that. The engine is basically brand new.

But if this is an older boat that has been repowered with an new engine,I would have an experienced technician look over the entire installation, particularly from an engine systems perspective. That is, check the exhaust system for backpressure, for adequate drop to the water lift muffler, for adequate “gooseneck” height at the outlet. Check the seawater inlet system to the engine, the fuel system for potential problems, the air inlet system into the engine room, the engine beds and alignment with propshaft,....as well as the basics as mentioned above.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:13   #7

Thanks all! Should have said it's an OEM installation and both boat and engine is from 2017. I will check engine oil, coolant and saildrive oil quality, listen to the engine, run her at 2800 rpm for 10 mins and see that everything works well. Wish me luck! :-)
AClemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, survey, volvo