Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 20:24   #91

Re: Running with a faulty alternater ... OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkauai View Post
Just thinking it'd be nice to talk boats on a cruisers forum. Lots of places out there to talk about outher ideas.

Would be nice to just talk about boat basics. But modern boats are full of machinery and electrical equipment that requires attention. Hulls, masts, rigging, navigation, etc. are essential subjects. But this particular thread happens to be about alternators and things related to them. Maybe we have run the course on the discussion. I certainly learned some valuable practical things in the discussion. Some members provided some great insight. All good stuff for the boat DIY'er and even for professional engineers, electricians, and electronic tech's. Thanks to all who gave excellent input, and those who posed questions.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 21:39   #92
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkauai View Post
Just thinking it'd be nice to talk boats on a cruisers forum. Lots of places out there to talk about outher ideas.
Here you go, a couple of snaps of a real live cruising sail boat charge bus and -ve bus plus a couple of other electrical items you can discuss - not finished yet so it is work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5221.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	249559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5204.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	249560  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 22:46   #93

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Do you have any means of knowing if the workers in China who made that crimper were decently treated and paid a fair wage? That Chinese tool was made in a regime that does not respect the basic rights of its people. They are oppressed, and many are horribly abused.

If you can afford the luxury of a cruising yacht, can you not afford to purchase items for it that are made in reputable places that at least respect the basic rights of citizens ? Great that you are maintaining your own safety aboard your boat with special tools. But what of the safety and rights of workers who have made those tools?
v

And here again is a comment that does not serve the informational spectrum.
Please stop the trolling.
You may be correct, but this isn't in the right place.
Thank you!
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:23   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
v

And here again is a comment that does not serve the informational spectrum.
Please stop the trolling.
You may be correct, but this isn't in the right place.
Thank you!
Boatyarddog

A person is a troll just for standing up for the rights of other people? Should not boaters make ethical decisions? Why is it ok to mention subjects that involve ethics such as safety, exhaust emissions, and marine pollution, but not basic rights of people? Why do you acknowledge that I'm correct, yet accuse of trolling?
Old 09-12-2021, 02:31   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Do you have any means of knowing if the workers in China who made that crimper were decently treated and paid a fair wage? That Chinese tool was made in a regime that does not respect the basic rights of its people. They are oppressed, and many are horribly abused.

If you can afford the luxury of a cruising yacht, can you not afford to purchase items for it that are made in reputable places that at least respect the basic rights of citizens ? Great that you are maintaining your own safety aboard your boat with special tools. But what of the safety and rights of workers who have made those tools?
Half the stuff on the boat was probably made in China. I’m a fan of what the Chinese have done for a population historically mired in poverty. Sure some isnt pretty but overall it’s impressive.

As for abused or opposed , tell that to the Iraqis , or Syrians , abuse looks very similar staring down the barrel of an M1 or a ZTZ-99, bombs from an F15 looks just like the abuse from a Mig

Why on CF when people simply mention China in the context of equipment ,descend into rants about China

Sorry I’m feeding the troll
Old 09-12-2021, 02:36   #96
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
A person is a troll just for standing up for the rights of other people? Should not boaters make ethical decisions? Why is it ok to mention subjects that involve ethics such as safety, exhaust emissions, and marine pollution, but not basic rights of people? Why do you acknowledge that I'm correct, yet accuse of trolling?
He said you “ may “ be correct. That’s all , he’s being polite

The Chinese have lifted literally billions out of abject poverty , people have clean water , reasonable housing , paid employment . It’s creating an enormous middle class. It has built modern cities , fantastic communications and is tying together a enormous diverse country.

All this without major internal conflict , it’s quite remarkable , and while the “ west” continues to bomb parts of the middle east and Africa, the Chinese are investing and building infrastructure all over Africa , essentially exporting their model to other poor countries.
If I was you I’d be learning Mandarin , we’re all going to need it.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:24   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
He said you “ may “ be correct. That’s all , he’s being polite

The Chinese have lifted literally billions out of abject poverty , people have clean water , reasonable housing , paid employment . It’s creating an enormous middle class. It has built modern cities , fantastic communications and is tying together a enormous diverse country.

All this without major internal conflict , it’s quite remarkable , and while the “ west” continues to bomb parts of the middle east and Africa, the Chinese are investing and building infrastructure all over Africa , essentially exporting their model to other poor countries.
If I was you I’d be learning Mandarin , we’re all going to need it.

At what cost has been this economic advancement? The Maoist communist regime is rife with a history of violence. Mao ruled China through an autocratic and totalitarian regime responsible for mass repression as well as destruction of religious and cultural artifacts and sites. The government was responsible for vast numbers of deaths with estimates ranging from 40 to 80 million victims through starvation, persecution, prison labor and mass executions. The modern CCP is no different with their mass persecution of those who dare to differ. If Maoist communism is such a fantastic system, why have many millions of its subject fled to other countries? Had they not been living in a utopia?

The CCP's investment in other countries is certainly not benevolence based. They always end up with ownership or control of the assets which they use to strategically advance their aim of world dominance.

If you endorse the CCP, why not sail to China, take up citizenship, and load the social credit app on your phone to let the CCP track your every move?

I had initially sought to simply remind people of the ethics of their purchasing choices, not turn the thread into a political discussion, but it seems that a couple of members have turned a technical thread into a political soap box. This was not my intention, but I will defend my position and speak up for those who are denied basic human rights.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:37   #98
Nearly an old salt

Running with a faulty alternater ... OK?

Quote:
At what cost has been this economic advancement? The Maoist communist regime is rife with a history of violence. Mao ruled China through an autocratic and totalitarian regime responsible for mass repression as well as destruction of religious and cultural artifacts and sites. The government was responsible for vast numbers of deaths with estimates ranging from 40 to 80 million victims through starvation, persecution, prison labor and mass executions. The modern CCP is no different with their mass persecution of those who dare to differ. If Maoist communism is such a fantastic system, why have many millions of its subject fled to other countries? Had they not been living in a utopia?

The CCP's investment in other countries is certainly not benevolence based. They always end up with ownership or control of the assets which they use to strategically advance their aim of world dominance.

If you endorse the CCP, why not sail to China, take up citizenship, and load the social credit app on your phone to let the CCP track your every move?

I had initially sought to simply remind people of the ethics of their purchasing choices, not turn the thread into a political discussion, but it seems that a couple of members have turned a technical thread into a political soap box. This was not my intention, but I will defend my position and speak up for those who are denied basic human rights.

Mao is dead a while so is Regan , lets move on a bit.

Denied basic rights , like Gitmo or Hawaii in WW2. Let’s not throw stones inside our glass houses ok.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:04   #99

Quote:
Mao is dead a while so is Regan , lets move on a bit.

Denied basic rights , like Gitmo or Hawaii in WW2. Let’s not throw stones inside our glass houses ok.

Thankfully Mao is dead, but his brutal regime lives on. Hawaiians today enjoy basic human rights or at least they did until the until this age of Covidism, which seems to be a precursor of communism. The Gitmo situation may have its injustices, but it has not killed and repressed millions as has the Maoist system. Agreed that we need to move on, but not in support of repressive regimes.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:26   #100
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thankfully Mao is dead, but his brutal regime lives on. Hawaiians today enjoy basic human rights or at least they did until the until this age of Covidism, which seems to be a precursor of communism. The Gitmo situation may have its injustices, but it has not killed and repressed millions as has the Maoist system. Agreed that we need to move on, but not in support of repressive regimes.
mate , I just buy their stuff , its reasonable , quite well made and my nice postman brings it to my boat/house . You are confusing me for someone who gives a Sh!t

thats all folks
Old 09-12-2021, 08:01   #101

Quote:
mate , I just buy their stuff , its reasonable , quite well made and my nice postman brings it to my boat/house . You are confusing me for someone who gives a Sh!t

thats all folks

Cheap Chinese stuff carries the high price of tyranny. Why not start caring, and use your purchasing power to support the basic rights of people rather than advance their agony? Much of the cheap Chinese stuff is not well made. What incentive have abused workers to strive for quality? Communism does not reward initiative. People get the same raw deal for both good and bad effort.

Example:
Vice-grips were manufactured in the United States until 2008, then owner Irwin Tools closed manufacturing in America in 2008, moving production to China. Quality is not as good as it used to be. Workers who were paid a fair wage in America and enjoyed good labor standards and immense freedoms lost their jobs to low paid victims of an oppressive regime. Did even any savings in production costs get passed to buyers? It seems that the price of the tools is higher now than when they were made in America. Irwin Tools seems to be reaping higher profits on the backs of oppressed people. I had quality issues with an Irwin product, and their customer support was a mere charade. They sent me a replacement that had the same defects as my initial purchase. Chinese made Irwin tools no longer qualify for my support.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:10   #102

Quote:
Your opinion is your own and valid.
It's not in the right place, and only serves the purpose of throwing the thread to the wind, so to speak.

In internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception. Wikipedia

You've hijacked this thread, you could just start your own you realize.
Most here want to stick to the topics of this thread
Thanks for your cooperation.
Boatyarddog
Old 09-12-2021, 10:33   #103

Quote:
My point was not political. It was about basic rights of people. Basic human rights ought to be independent of politics. It is unfortunate that politics are brought into the matter. And I did not denigrate anyone. I asked a question and supported that question with a background statement. Your perception of denigration is your own mental construct.
And, you friend have not realized the ediquette that most adhere to here.
This is a technical thread about an Alternator issue.
You've made it political.
Only you.
It would be polite just to bow out in this moment, out of respect of others.
And, your rude about it!
Boatyarddog
Old 09-12-2021, 11:45   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
And, you friend have not realized the ediquette that most adhere to here.
This is a technical thread about an Alternator issue.
You've made it political.
Only you.
It would be polite just to bow out in this moment, out of respect of others.
And, your rude about it!
Boatyarddog

It was not me who introduced the side topic. Someone else mentioned the country of manufacture of a crimper that they had purchased. I merely mentioned the ethical aspects of such a purchasing decision. Then someone else jumped in and defended a brutal system. It was never my intent to start a political discussion or "troll" the thread. But I will defend ethics if challenged. I am not concerned with politeness so much as I am concerned about basic rights. It seems that some people have abandoned human rights ethics just to save a few bucks. But they consider a lesser issues like forum ethics more important. I have shown no disrespect to anyone. Perhaps some people are overly sensitive. Without ethics on bigger issues, it seems that forum ethics are a side issue.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:53   #105

Quote:
It was not me who introduced the side topic. Someone else mentioned the country of manufacture of a crimper that they had purchased. I merely mentioned the ethical aspects of such a purchasing decision. Then someone else jumped in and defended a brutal system. It was never my intent to start a political discussion or "troll" the thread. But I will defend ethics if challenged. I am not concerned with politeness so much as I am concerned about basic rights. It seems that some people have abandoned human rights ethics just to save a few bucks. But they consider a lesser issues like forum ethics more important. I have shown no disrespect to anyone. Perhaps some people are overly sensitive. Without ethics on bigger issues, it seems that forum ethics are a side issue.
Point taken.
Just start your own thread, you'll perhaps find lots of support and maybe some fresh ideas on how to better the world, thanks for your consideration.

Hope were done now, maybe some fresh info about alternators then?
Boatyarddog