Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 12:10   #106

Re: Running with a faulty alternater ... OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Point taken.
Just start your own thread, you'll perhaps find lots of support and maybe some fresh ideas on how to better the world, thanks for your consideration.

Hope were done now, maybe some fresh info about alternators then?
Boatyarddog

Yup, hope the side issues are over with. For anyone interested in more alternator matters, I've been contributing to the thread, "Using windlass resets the electronics". It is mostly about transient voltage affects and how to prevent them. Some people have shared some great info. Voltage stability is critical, especially with the plethora of modern electronics aboard vessels.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 14:20   #107
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post

Example:
Vice-grips were manufactured in the United States until 2008, then owner Irwin Tools closed manufacturing in America in 2008, moving production to China. Quality is not as good as it used to be. Workers who were paid a fair wage in America and enjoyed good labor standards and immense freedoms lost their jobs to low paid victims of an oppressive regime. Did even any savings in production costs get passed to buyers? It seems that the price of the tools is higher now than when they were made in America. Irwin Tools seems to be reaping higher profits on the backs of oppressed people. I had quality issues with an Irwin product, and their customer support was a mere charade. They sent me a replacement that had the same defects as my initial purchase. Chinese made Irwin tools no longer qualify for my support.
At the risk of stating the obvious, this hardly the fault of the CCP; it sounds more like the fault lies with the American corporate / American consumer; complain to those who made the collective decisions in the USA, not to us band of international sailors.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 14:41   #108

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

This thread has become totally ideological BS and should be shut down.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 17:45   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
At the risk of stating the obvious, this hardly the fault of the CCP; it sounds more like the fault lies with the American corporate / American consumer; complain to those who made the collective decisions in the USA, not to us band of international sailors.

Seems like a few people on here are committed to defending the CCP, even knowing of their abuses. Where are ethics? Funny how some people got offended by one tiny comment about ethics of purchasing decisions. I'd never intended it to digress into politics, but a few took it that way. I did try and lead it back to alternators, but some won't drop the matter. Shall we return to alternators?
Old 09-12-2021, 17:52   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

Do ideals not matter? Can I suggest that it is not ideal to run with a faulty alternator? You might loose electrical power under way and reek harm to other people and property.

Let's chill and get back to alternators before someone blows a fuse.
Old 09-12-2021, 18:13   #111

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Seconded, fer cridys sake!
This crap really dilutes the fun and informative dialogue.
Ethics have another forum folks, please go there.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 18:18   #112

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Do ideals not matter? Can I suggest that it is not ideal to run with a faulty alternator? You might loose electrical power under way and reek harm to other people and property.

Let's chill and get back to alternators before someone blows a fuse.
Fer real...
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 18:36   #113

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Here you go, a couple of snaps of a real live cruising sail boat charge bus and -ve bus plus a couple of other electrical items you can discuss - not finished yet so it is work in progress.
You did good work there, clean routing and thoughtful layout will always pay back dividends for any future work/access/trouble shooting.
I can't begin to number the boats I've worked on where the electrical system looked like a bomb went off in a wire factory.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 21:45   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
You did good work there, clean routing and thoughtful layout will always pay back dividends for any future work/access/trouble shooting.
I can't begin to number the boats I've worked on where the electrical system looked like a bomb went off in a wire factory.

Yes, great looking work. Putting in the extra effort will pay off more than one can know. I too have seen wiring rats nests aboard various boats. Makes troubleshooting and circuit tracing extremely difficult. Tiny problems can be amplified into big ones in messy wiring. One chronic problem I've seen is the leaving behind of wires when old equipment is removed, and new gear that uses different wires is fitted. Best to make a clean tidy installation initially and keep it that way, and tag everything so that somebody knows what they are looking at.
Old 09-12-2021, 23:28   #115
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Quote:
Yes, great looking work. Putting in the extra effort will pay off more than one can know. I too have seen wiring rats nests aboard various boats. Makes troubleshooting and circuit tracing extremely difficult. Tiny problems can be amplified into big ones in messy wiring. One chronic problem I've seen is the leaving behind of wires when old equipment is removed, and new gear that uses different wires is fitted. Best to make a clean tidy installation initially and keep it that way, and tag everything so that somebody knows what they are looking at.
Thanks for the kind words guys - I was fortunate the owner gave me a free hand in the design and layout although you still have to work within the available spaces. We pulled out 35 years of old wiring systems and countless modifications piled one of top of another.

The thing is - making it neat, tidy and well laid out take TIME, lots of it and the available space is never enough! Yes, it pays dividends in the future but so many people do not realise how much extra time it can take to properly route and secure cabling.

You will note there is no wire labels and the conventional wisdom is 'the wires should be marked'. I've always taken a different approach as unless cabling is laser marked professionally, most other methods lack finesse except maybe printed heat shrink labels. I prefer to supply a wiring diagram showing the point to point wires, a block diagram of principal components and a schematic circuit. These days marked up photos are also useful for identification of items and are particularly useful for those who have trouble reading a circuit diagram.

Funny thing is, there is already a better way and you find that out after the job is finished!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 20:33   #116

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlie1 View Post
Thanks for that.
There are 2 voltage regulator relays. My understanding is that all the batteries (2 start and the house bank) will still be charging
Kind of a strange post...why don't you ask a car electrician?,
So far you had no problems as your second alternator seems to charge both banks.
However, I would replace or repair the unit.
In case it overheats and starts a fire.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 20:36   #117

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlie1 View Post
Excellent repy .... Thanks Abe
Any car electrician could have told you.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 10:35   #118

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A faulty alternator may be a blown diode and may be supplying half wave rectification. I have no real idea of what the battery plates would think about that. Someone else might.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote