Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2020, 08:06   #1

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47
Oil Filters - consumer vs pro

I tried to buy Wix filters for my Beta 38 recently and Oreilly auto parts was out of the part, but offered me a masterpack (12 filters) of a Wix manufactured pro grade model.
Wix 51334 is the brand-conscious filter ($9 each).
Wix Pro-Tec PTL51334/12 is the pro filter ($33 for 12).

The sales guy showed me a side-by-side on the specs. Every one was identical including microns, flowrate, bypass pressure, drainback valve, etc, except the height (pro is shorter) and I think, the filter material might be different.

Same sort of thing for my Genset - he offered me an in-house brand (Microguard MGL51365 instead of Wix 51365)

If I observe the proper interval for replacement, is there any practical difference?
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 08:14   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Oil Filters - consumer vs pro

I can’t speak for the brands you’ve mentioned but there are many reviews and breakdowns for various oil filters online, YouTube etc. It really comes down to the pleating and end caps of the filters. Some use lower quality filter material with less pleats to get the same flow rate (vs better filter material and larger surface area) and the internal end caps of the filters (some use metal, some use cardboard) from what I’ve seen as long as the numbers are within spec my only concern would be the filter material becoming dislodged creating a blockage as some are poorly assembled. But both and cut one open to see how they’re assembled.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 09:43   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Interesting: NAPA also charges less for their pro-pack oil filters than the regular ones. Same filters, but the Pro-pack has less packaging for a $6 to $7 discount per filter.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 10:58   #4

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

Distribution + retail + marketing add a huge amount of markup to stuff like this. Probably $2 of that $9 is manufacturing, the rest is layer after layer of overhead & markup.

If you're buying in bulk from recognized, established aftermarket brands, you'll get "mechanic's pack" stuff that is essentially identical but with much less markup. It usually works just as well, because it's the same thing, made in the same factory.

Avoid off-brand aftermarket, particularly from eBay / Amazon / AliExpress, where you can't find an actual established presence (eg. a website, a same-continent mailing address, & a multi-year reputation) for the brand. That's where you find the generic junk that falls apart and triggers cascading failures. There being no physical office for the brand in the continent where you're buying it is a huge red flag.
Old 17-12-2020, 11:12   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post

Avoid off-brand aftermarket, particularly from eBay / Amazon / AliExpress, where you can't find an actual established presence (eg. a website, a same-continent mailing address, & a multi-year reputation) for the brand. That's where you find the generic junk that falls apart and triggers cascading failures. There being no physical office for the brand in the continent where you're buying it is a huge red flag.
Examples of that happening?

Personally I am yet to hear of an engine coming to grief using after market filters and oil as long as they meet spec and are changed as required.

And by off brand does that mean a brand "you" haven't heard of or is more a brand that looks identical but say a spelling mistake in name, like freetguard?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 23:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Most spin on oil filters are made in 2 or 3 lengths. The same seal diameter and center thread, but the can and filter media is longer. Oil goes slower thru the longer can, allowing the media to catch more debris.You can put the longer can on any short can engine.

There are several Youtube videos showing the insides of several brands of spin on filters.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 09:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Don't know if this helps but I buy Wix/NAPA Gold filters in bulk from Fleetfilter.com. Their prices are good and Wix filters are good quality.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 09:33   #8

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Examples of that happening?

Personally I am yet to hear of an engine coming to grief using after market filters and oil as long as they meet spec and are changed as required.

And by off brand does that mean a brand "you" haven't heard of or is more a brand that looks identical but say a spelling mistake in name, like freetguard?
I don't know how many engines you've been exposed to over their service lives but after 35 years in automotive service I can assure you that it does happen.
I've seen at least 2 engines ruined by disintegrating major house brand filters and many showing excessive wear from oil that was rebranded non-detergent, low quality oil.
Old 18-12-2020, 11:09   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I'd be fine with the Wix pro pack versus regular Wix.

I would pass on the micro guard filters. Not the same beast at all. Cut one of each open and see. Check valve, pleating/paper will be substantially different.

Retired master mechanic that owned a busy auto repair shop 40+ years.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 11:41   #10

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I suggest you visit the Baldwin Filter web site and cross-reference the original P/N. I have found them to be high quality, cost effective and available from a number of distributors.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 11:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I don't know how many engines you've been exposed to over their service lives but after 35 years in automotive service I can assure you that it does happen.
I've seen at least 2 engines ruined by disintegrating major house brand filters and many showing excessive wear from oil that was rebranded non-detergent, low quality oil.
2 out of 35 years in the game seems liked bugger all
Doesn't sound like the oil met spec either
Old 18-12-2020, 21:17   #12

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
2 out of 35 years in the game seems liked bugger all
Doesn't sound like the oil met spec either
Unless it's your engine, and your repair bill ........
Old 18-12-2020, 22:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Unless it's your engine, and your repair bill ........
Yeah but they were the more expensive major house brand filters that disintegrated he says.
Not exactly evidence of cheap filters bad is it.
Old 18-12-2020, 23:06   #14

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Yeah but they were the more expensive major house brand filters that disintegrated he says.
Not exactly evidence of cheap filters bad is it.
By "major house brand" I take it these are cheap aftermarket filters rather than genuine filters. For me, it is not work the risk - for a filter change per year, I go with the genuine filters.
Old 18-12-2020, 23:07   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

I have been using some no name eBay oil filters on my diesel Kia for at least 5 years with no problems yet. I change them every 12 weeks so I am not to worried about quality. Our yachts Yanmar diesel filter only gets changed every year or 100 hours so I use a quality filter for it.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter