Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 00:39   #1

Boat: Boro Temptress, 32 ft
Is this an injection pump automatic advance device - Chinese diesel Yangong YSAD380?

Hi,

Nice to meet everybody, finally, through an active post.

Does anybody have any idea what this is? I have a feeling that it might be an automatic advance device for the injection pump timing, but I am not sure.

The engine is a chinese diesel, Yangdong, I think YSAD 380, and I cannot really find too much information on it. Or the information is not very clear... I guess lack of information comes with the price for these engines.

The device is attached to the injection pump timing gear. The 2 halves can slide apart during engine rotation proportional with the speed and spin the 2 eccentric circular things underneath them. The device is not present in the engine schematics I have. Those only have the injection pump gear listed.

The question arise as according to the manual, to adjust the injection timing, I should have 3 screws in elongated holes on the injection pump gear face, loosen those and turn the timing gear to get the desired values.

I only dismantle things to where they were in the last picture. Undoing the center bolt did not seem to loosen the part covering the actual gear.

Thank you.

Pictures are rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise...

MikkiDuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 13:20   #2

Re: Is this an injection pump automatic advance device - Chinese diesel Yangong YSAD3

Don't know for sure whether it's an injection timing advance or not, but it sure looks like it. If the rotation of the ecentrics change the gear position relative to the shaft position then that's what they are doing. Probably starts retarded by about 5 degrees and as soon as the engine starts to run the timing advances to its running position and stays there.

Normally done inside the injection pump, but this is a clever idea.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 15:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Is this an injection pump automatic advance device - Chinese diesel Yangong YSAD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Don't know for sure whether it's an injection timing advance or not, but it sure looks like it. If the rotation of the ecentrics change the gear position relative to the shaft position then that's what they are doing. Probably starts retarded by about 5 degrees and as soon as the engine starts to run the timing advances to its running position and stays there.

Normally done inside the injection pump, but this is a clever idea.

DougR

Aircraft magnetos have what it called an impulse coupling that changes timing for starting but also provides the fast jump needed for the magneto to make enough power at low RPM.
They are externally mounted like this.
But that devices does look a lot like centrifugal timing advance from an old fashioned distributor doesn’t it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 15:00   #4

Boat: Boro Temptress, 32 ft

Thank you for the replies.

When I bought the boat, the previous owner told me I need to adjust the injection pump timing as the engine was running rough. After, being at my first boat, I made a beginner mistake and I managed to flood the engine with raw water and sized it. Changed all the internals (liners, pistons, valves, etc) and found a piece of old rag stuck in the air admission intake blocking air to the middle cylinder. I assumed at the moment that that would have caused the engine to run rough and the previous owner assumed the injection pump. After changing all those parts and adjusting the valves the engine started first time and run OK.
So it looks like the device is handling the timing adjustment correctly. I was somehow curios if there are any fine manual adjustments I could make.
On a short test run, during which I managed to ground the boat a bit, at full throttle - not sure the RPM as it does not have a tacho yet, boat got to 6.5 kts constant on engine.
Talk about a steep learning curve... it looks like a managed to make every mistake possible so far.
MikkiDuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 15:11   #5

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

That is most likely an advance mechanism. I have several diesel tractors on my farm but they all have the advance built into the injection pump. Thx-Ace
Old 03-12-2019, 15:14   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiDuda View Post
Talk about a steep learning curve... it looks like a managed to make every mistake possible so far.

Stuff happens. Slow down, be more careful and aware. It will get better and we have all made these mistakes.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:39   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Amen. You think my tag line below didn't come from experience?
Old 03-12-2019, 18:10   #8

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Don’t beat yourself up! You have made it through the shark filled academic waters.
Remember.
There are two types of sailors.
Those who have run aground.
And those who have never left the dock.
dfelsent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, pump