Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 14:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Spares For Remote Cruising

I’m on a real slow connection, this is for powerboats, but they have the kits for us too, you’ll get the idea
http://mackboring.com/wp-content/upl...16-OB-KITS.pdf
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 14:51   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800
re: Engine Spares For Remote Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am planning to be far from civilization this summer, and so am reconsidering my spares list for my Yanmar 4JH3 HTE.

Here's how the list looks now:

Spare injectors & lines
Case of Racor filters
Several Yanmar fine filters
Oil filters & plenty of lube oil in 20l canisters
Spare fuel hose
A spare of every belt and hose on the engine
Spare starter
Spare sea water pump
Spare fresh water pump
Spare impellers
Spare thermostat

Have I missed anything?
Alternator - definitely unless you have so much solar it doesn't matter
Exhaust elbow - definitely
Spare control cable(s) for shifter and engine speed - unless you have another way to control the engine if one breaks
Bearings and seals for pumps to augment complete spares
Starter solenoid - definitely
Seals and gaskets - if engine is older or there are known problems
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 17:00   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

He doesn’t do Solar, that is why the generator is critical and ought to be treated as being as important as the main engine I believe
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 23:36   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Gasket set?
or gasket making material

alternator - know of a cruiser who lost his coming across the atl and he and his wife hand steered for 4 days with 2 little kids -

bilge pump switch - we lost one if Russia and not sure how our agent found one but very relieved he did

if dripless shaft bearing - take and extra - we lost one in Colombia and took a while to get it shipped in - lost one again in Tunisia and got lucky that someone who knew someone who knew someone found one for us - we carry a spare now

fresh water pump - lost one in Montenegro (incredibly expensive there and they only had one)

spare bilge pump - friend lost one in Bahamas - sat until one could be brought in from usa

fuses for engine - we have a Yanmar 4jh3e and there are a couple of fuses and we lost one and trying to find it was difficult - found it eventually in autoparts store - and in Ukraine found a great supply that were Russian so bought a bunch for a couple of dollars each

jbweld - you would be surprised what you can fix with that stuff
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 00:09   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
or gasket making material

BA charts make good gaskets....

I carry head , manifold, and rocker cover gaskets together with 'gasket in a tube' for small jobs... as well as BA charts...
Old 11-02-2018, 01:51   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Concerning alternators - I have dual alternators on the main plus a heavy duty diesel generator. I have a spare battery charger and a spare inverter. I'm on the fence about a spare alternator.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:00   #22

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:

Concerning alternators - I have dual alternators on the main plus a heavy duty diesel generator. I have a spare battery charger and a spare inverter. I'm on the fence about a spare alternator.
just buy a cat with 2 diesels. much simpler.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:12   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
just buy a cat with 2 diesels. much simpler.
Sure. There are certainly great advantages in that configuration.

But I would not want to take a cat up to those latitudes. In fact I'm not entirely happy about taking any plastic boat up there. But I don't have money or time so far to have built the boat I have in mind. Maybe next time.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 11-02-2018, 04:40   #24

Quote:

Only one of your alternators is for the house bank. The other one is a small one dedicated to your start battery. So you do not really have two alternators. You need another bus alternator in case your big one fails.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:22   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Only one of your alternators is for the house bank. The other one is a small one dedicated to your start battery. So you do not really have two alternators. You need another bus alternator in case your big one fails.
Well, that's what I'm on the fence about. I've got a separate diesel generator which can pump about 2kW into the house bank via the battery charger. I can also charge the house bank from the start batt with a bit of fiddling. Do I really need to have another monster school bus alt? They're not expensive, but they are large and heavy. Mine was rebuilt not long ago and ought to go for another 10 years. Hmmmm.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-02-2018, 07:16   #26

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Gasket material in addition to pre-made gaskets. Fel-Pro 3046, 2499, and 3157 is good to make odd gaskets and is not expensive. Canvas hole punches or paper hole punches are good for making bolt holes in gasket material.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:35   #27

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Several spare sets of copper/ metal washers for the injectors, very handy. A deep well socket for injectors.

Some parrafin

spare thermo swtiches ( if you have them ) for the elbow and thermostat housing.

Spare set of Glow plugs.

If anyone has a Vetus M4.17 I have just about every part mentioned in this thread id love to unload.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:36   #28

Quote:
Well, that's what I'm on the fence about. I've got a separate diesel generator which can pump about 2kW into the house bank via the battery charger. I can also charge the house bank from the start batt with a bit of fiddling. Do I really need to have another monster school bus alt? They're not expensive, but they are large and heavy. Mine was rebuilt not long ago and ought to go for another 10 years. Hmmmm.

Then get a bearing kit and brush kit and regulator and take a risk on the rest or/and
Upgrade the start battery alternator to 110a small case, Leece Neville makes a good one that lasts for years. Then modify the wiring so in emergencies, it can charge the house bank.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:10   #29

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Engine Spares For Remote Cruising

I have the same motor been around the eastern Carib over the last 4 years presently boat residing in St Croix. Racor filters, Engine raw water Impeller. Motor Oil, Oil filter, Transmision fluid for the tran and the autopilot (if hydraulic), injectors. Oh yea I sailed mainly, new sails, and new bimini. That should cover all I had to replace.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:13   #30

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Engine Spares For Remote Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Gasket set?
Got to it before me! Also, a collection of SS bolts and nuts and washers in metric and SAE/Imperial. An assortment of O-rings for raw water strainer, all spin-on filters and water pumps. If you have a bagged starter, bag a spare alternator, too. Many people have a larger alternator put on in place of the "stock alternator"; this becomes the spare. Buying a rebuilt used water pump as a spare is also a sound idea: you bolt on the spare to resume operations and then rebuild/restore the bunged one at your leisure.

Studs and stud extractors are handy, too. And as many SS hose clamps as you can afford. I favour the AWAB "grooved" type over the slotted type, and "T-clamps" are great for the exhaust runs.

Engine mounts (at least one or two) are also things I hear people saying they wish they had, because you can fail to notice a small leak that can rust out one of the aft ones. Lastly, you want a jack or a come-along or a long bar or a chainfall beefy enough to physically move said engine off its mounts.

If you've used it in the last five years of normal, easily replenished use, bring it, basically.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, remote