Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 05:30   #1

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft
engine alarm upon turning key

for those in the know- any idea why our brand new (electronic) yanmar warning alarm goes off even before starting the engine.
and of course this does not happen in a totally consistent manner - esp when the marina guys check it.

as directed - we turn the key, then push the power button, wait 4 seconds and push start - often it works like a charm. BUT just as often it triggers an alarm.

Oil pressure seems fine, stop cock is open - wondering if it could be a fault in the alarm.... welcome your insights. have left a message at Yanmar - but would love to get off the mooring today......

seems the electronic engines need to go thru some sort of cycle before pushing start - and timing matters - but we tried many permutations

frustratingly yours!
thanks!
livbysea
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 05:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: engine alarm upon turning key

Do you mean before the engine has run a few seconds? It's likely you oil pressure alarm, there being no oil pressure until the oil pump gets going.
Old 26-07-2020, 05:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Did I miss something? I apologize if my interpretation of your question was wrong. Could you restate it as a situation in which the alarm keeps going after the oil pressure alarm should have turned off with rising oil pressure?
Old 26-07-2020, 06:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This is some kind of electronic controlled likely common rail, and not our regular simple oil pressure alarm. My guess is it throws some kind of code, maybe a flashing light?
Anyway I think it’s going to take the manual or a Yanmar tech, or maybe someone that has this engine.
Posting which engine may help.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Did I miss something? I apologize if my interpretation of your question was wrong. Could you restate it as a situation in which the alarm keeps going after the oil pressure alarm should have turned off with rising oil pressure?
hi

thanks
we have checked oil level - it is fine.

the "rules" for starting this engine are:
1. turn key on
2. push power button; let panel cycle lights come on and off on readouts- which takes approximately 4 seconds
3. push start after the four seconds
4. go sailing....

our alarm is now going off after we push the power button - and does not turn off if start the engine. we have tried pushing start both before and after the lights in readouts go out - (from 3-5 seconds after pushing power button. thinking maybe the oil pressure sensor has malfunctioned???

Hesitant to run engine with the alarm - in case there really is a problem. the engine is brand new - fewer than 10 hours on it -

wish we had a mechanical only engine........

very bummed out

thanks

livbysea
Old 26-07-2020, 07:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This is some kind of electronic controlled likely common rail, and not our regular simple oil pressure alarm. My guess is it throws some kind of code, maybe a flashing light?
Anyway I think it’s going to take the manual or a Yanmar tech, or maybe someone that has this engine.
Posting which engine may help.
sadly, we agree. manual has been pretty useless - just sad we can't sail - being conservative with regard to engine as we dont' want to do something stupid (though the alarm may be going off b/c we already did something stupid!)

thanks
Old 26-07-2020, 07:22   #7

engine is

YANMAR 4JH110
Old 26-07-2020, 08:54   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Could it be an alternator alarm?

Every marine diesel engine I've had (yanmar, volvo, ford, beta) has an alarm that goes off when you turn the key and goes off when the engine starts, which is the oil pressure alarm.

My new Beta engine had a period where the alternator alarm was going off after the engine started and at random intervals afterwards. Tightening the alternator belt often helps that. In our case the fancy programmable Balmar voltage regulator needed adjustment for the second alternator.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:59   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423

Are there any lights on?

Can you get behind the panel? You might get lucky and find a loose connector or wire.

I would also check the alternator. Maybe the warning light is busted. Is voltage between 13 and 15V when the engine is running?

Also just because you have oil doesn’t mean you have oil pressure. It could be a problem with the oil pressure sender or a wire in between and hopefully not the oil pump itself.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Could it be an alternator alarm?

Every marine diesel engine I've had (yanmar, volvo, ford, beta) has an alarm that goes off when you turn the key and goes off when the engine starts, which is the oil pressure alarm.

My new Beta engine had a period where the alternator alarm was going off after the engine started and at random intervals afterwards. Tightening the alternator belt often helps that. In our case the fancy programmable Balmar voltage regulator needed adjustment for the second alternator.
INTERESTING - WE HAVE HAD ALARMS AS WELL - BUT THEY USUALLY TURN OFF ONCE OIL COMES UP TO PROPER PRESSURE. GAUGES SHOW PROPER PRESSURE, BUT ALARM REMAINS ON. - UNFORTUNATELY, THE WARNING MESSAGE IS JUST "CHECK ENGINE" NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH TO BE REALLY HELPFUL.... THANKS!!
Old 26-07-2020, 09:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Are there any lights on?

Can you get behind the panel? You might get lucky and find a loose connector or wire.

I would also check the alternator. Maybe the warning light is busted. Is voltage between 13 and 15V when the engine is running?

Also just because you have oil doesn’t mean you have oil pressure. It could be a problem with the oil pressure sender or a wire in between and hopefully not the oil pump itself.

Harry
GOOD SUGGESTIONS - VOLTAGE IS RUNNING AT 14 - OIL GAUGE SAYS IT HAS PRESSURE - AND IT IS NOT OVERHEATING - HOPING FOR WIRE OR BAD SENSOR.....THANKS
Old 26-07-2020, 09:06   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
GOOD SUGGESTIONS - VOLTAGE IS RUNNING AT 14 - OIL GAUGE SAYS IT HAS PRESSURE - AND IT IS NOT OVERHEATING - HOPING FOR WIRE OR BAD SENSOR.....THANKS

The gauge is usually fed from a sender, the alarm from a switch.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The gauge is usually fed from a sender, the alarm from a switch.
sorry - i am a luddite - what is the implication of the sender vs switch for this situation?

THANKS!!
Old 26-07-2020, 09:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
INTERESTING - WE HAVE HAD ALARMS AS WELL - BUT THEY USUALLY TURN OFF ONCE OIL COMES UP TO PROPER PRESSURE. GAUGES SHOW PROPER PRESSURE, BUT ALARM REMAINS ON. - UNFORTUNATELY, THE WARNING MESSAGE IS JUST "CHECK ENGINE" NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH TO BE REALLY HELPFUL.... THANKS!!
It could be anything, Common rails often have a lot of sensors, like manifold pressure and air temp, mine even knew fuel temp, RPM of course, throttle position sensor and mass air flow, all could trip a MIL.
Automobiles of course were mandated long ago to have OBD or onboard diagnostics, often times an inexpensive reader can be purchased that will tell you the fault codes.
Sometimes manufacturers are extremely protective of their software as of course that’s how others can sell programming chips etc, John Deere is I think excessively protective.
GM and a few others freely publish it.
I have heard Volvo is like John Deere, I don’t know about Yanmar, but if an OBD type of reader is available, I’d buy one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It could be anything, Common rails often have a lot of sensors, like manifold pressure and air temp, mine even knew fuel temp, RPM of course, throttle position sensor and mass air flow, all could trip a MIL.
Automobiles of course were mandated long ago to have OBD or onboard diagnostics, often times an inexpensive reader can be purchased that will tell you the fault codes.
Sometimes manufacturers are extremely protective of their software as of course that’s how others can sell programming chips etc, John Deere is I think excessively protective.
GM and a few others freely publish it.
I have heard Volvo is like John Deere, I don’t know about Yanmar, but if an OBD type of reader is available, I’d buy one.
thanks! we are just learning about this new fangled engine - it sure is more complicated than its predecessor! appreciate your response
livbysea

Tags
alarm, engine