Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 13:41   #1

Changing from petrol to Diesel

Hi, All.
I have a ford 1600 petrol engine in my boat with a Volvo Penta outdrive is it a big job to change the engine for a diesel, will it bolt to the outdrive without altering it?
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 03:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Changing from petrol to Diesel

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Zork.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 04:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It's a big job. Whether the new engine fits the existing transmission/drive is only the beginning. Everything is in the wrong place, through hulls, hoses, cables, electrical connection, exhaust, and a few I've forgotten. The new engine may not even fit in the space allowed.

There are considerable advantages to using diesel, starting with not hauling around explosives, as long as you are not concerned with the power to weight ratio. But even a diesel to diesel engine change can be a nightmare. If you boat is functioning well, I recommend that you use it as is, and save your desire for a diesel for your next purchase.
Old 19-10-2021, 05:13   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Yes. No.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 09:59   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Yes. No.
You answered the questions.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:00   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You didn’t identify what kind of boat you have ? It may not be a difficult as some have suggested, you need to do some research as to what it will take to mate up the diesel to your outdrive. Driveshaft/coupling match up may eliminate engine propshaft issues, don’t know. In theory you can mate up about any engine to any transmission, a machine shop might be involved. Actually as I see your outdrive is a Volvo, they more than likely hook up some kind of diesel to it to begin with.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:26   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:47   #8

Boat: None

Many outdrives have low life expectancy when they are mated to a diesel engine with some decent HP and the torque that goes along with it. Diesel harmonics are hell on gears. Do you homework carefully. This may fall under, 'just cause you can doesn't mean you should'.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:51   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would have a chat with Lancing Marine, they have been doing this stuff for decades.

https://www.lancingmarine.com/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 13:44   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I've had on outdrive only on a trailable go fast boat. I would not recommend what you are dreaming about. Even to replace the gas engine requires removing the out drive. As far as matching the diesel up to one is dreaming, to say nothing about the weight to HP ratio. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 14:40   #11

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I would have a chat with Lancing Marine, they have been doing this stuff for decades.

https://www.lancingmarine.com/
^^^ This

You weren't specific enough on the Ford 1600cc engine. If it is of the Ford 1600 Kent crossflow the answer could be fairly easy since that engine was converted to diesel in the UK by a company called Watermota. Stephenson Marine, also in the UK still supports the Watermota engines.

Lastly, in the US, Westerbeke sold that diesel engine as model L-25. I had a Luders 33 with the L-25, it was reliable. Don't believe that Westerbeke supports that engine currently.

As others have said, it can and has been done but it's more work than meets the eye if you've never done it before.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 23:27   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The diesel will be heavier and won't have the top rpm the gas engine has. The diesel will also be nosier.
There are outdrives designed for diesels. They work better paired with the right engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel