Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40   #1

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
COnverting Diesel tank to Petrol

Hi All

I have just converted my water tank to Diesel after installing a watermaker. The thing is I have the original 80 litre stainless Diesel tank. It has a fair bit of crap in it and I gave it a big wash out sometime ago. I would prefer not to use this for Diesel any more but I thought it would make a great storage for petrol and free up a jerry can or 2. Is there any reason this shouldnt be done. It is 8 liter tank.

Cheers
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:02   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: COnverting Diesel tank to Petrol

I don't know what the rules in Oz are but the USCG has some very specific ventilation requirements for storing Gasoline (petrol) below decks. In Florida they can confiscate your boat if your compartment does not meet the ventilation requirements. There are no such rules for diesel tanks so it is unlikely that your diesel storage compartment is adequately ventilated. You might want to consider a bilge blower and additional ventilation. I know a guy that blew up his boat when he sprung a small leak in the filler hose of his below deck petrol tank and didn't blow his bilges. Fortunately he was not seriously injured. It can be done, but please make sure you are able to deal with Petrol fumes in your bilges without killing yourself.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:15   #3

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Re: COnverting Diesel tank to Petrol

Ah yes of course the fumes. Didnt really think that through. The tank ventilation exits by the cockpit too. Might just keep it as a diesel and use it as a spare backup or something.
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel