Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 10:20   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Average cost for yanmar 4cyl 55-60hp

I just got a quote for a new 55 hp Yanmar; $19,000.
aliddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:26   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Whatever you spend as maintenance, upgrade and repair on a used boat will never be recovered when you sell it. If you follow that rule of thumb you will never be disappointed.

It is a rare case that a used boat is purchased, upgraded and sold for more than the original used purchase cost. If it were not so there would be shows on reality TV called “flip this boat”. Someone will pop up and brag how they made $ on a used boat. Many of those are fish stories and the rest are rare indeed.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 13:21   #18
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Days_at_a_time View Post
Hi, I'm working the the purchase of a boat with a well worn yanmar 4jh 55hp. I'm just curious what the average cost is for a new replacement engine. Not including labor for the install, just the engineer itself. I've tried searching Google and I haven't found much in the way of actual pricing on new motors.
Consider upgrading if you decide to replace. Yanmar offers trade ins for upgrades. Not sure if it would apply in your case because of the engine age. I traded in my 55HP with 3000 hours to upgrade to 75 HP and paid 35,000 AUS for two engines on my Lagoon 450. Add the cost for changing props. Very happy with the outcome
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 13:50   #19

Yanmar engines are very rugged. 6000 hours not a concern, however, poor care another issue. Previously mentioned, oil sample test would be a good start. Next is to get a Certified Yanmar Technician on board to see the overall condition of engine. You may have a good engine that just needs some maintenance. You did not mention any symptoms that would lead you to needing a new or rebuilt engine. Oil on engine, origin of leak? Excessive exhaust smoke? Overheating? Vibration (may be motor mounts only)? Start slow with proper trained analysis if not sure yourself. May be better than you believe. Good Luck!
Whisper Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:57   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

I just Friday got a quote for a new Yanmar 4JH57 hp for $19,800 including transmission and V-drive. I am repowering from a 33 year old Perkins 4108. I am located in Southern California.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 11:41   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 32 (Richards)

I have a 4JH2-TE, and I plan on pulling it out to deal with an oil leak, and to replace the stern gland. I have a V-drive, and it's pretty difficult to work on the stern gland with the engine in place -- the engine sits right above the stern gland. To work on the engine, I want to use a rotating engine stand, but I'm not sure how to bolt the engine to the stand. The rotating stand has four attachment points, and the instructions tell you to bold those attachment points to the engine. But where on the engine? Is the flywheel housing strong enough to support the weight of the engine?

Tags
yanmar