Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 17:40   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45
Average cost for yanmar 4cyl 55-60hp

Hi, I'm working the the purchase of a boat with a well worn yanmar 4jh 55hp. I'm just curious what the average cost is for a new replacement engine. Not including labor for the install, just the engineer itself. I've tried searching Google and I haven't found much in the way of actual pricing on new motors.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:19   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Average cost for yanmar 4cyl 55-60hp

Rebuilt 8,000. New 25000. Ballpark
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:52   #3

Thanks for the reply, I had seen the rebuilts in that range, I wasn't thinking a brand new motor would be so much more though, wow... I was thinking 15k range.
Old 23-07-2018, 03:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

It's always cheaper to overhaul what you have than replace it with a new engine. If you go to a different brand engine, many other items will require work. Fuel lines, exhaust, salt water plumbing, maybe even modifying the engine beds.
If your engine is used in agriculture, engines or parts are cheaper at a tractor dealer than a marine dealer. Marine engines I know of that are used in ag use the same basic block and head as their industrial counterpart.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 04:01   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

How do you know it is "well worn". These engines are very well built and last many thousands of hours if moderately maintained. If it has been run hard for many hours that is not a good indication of internal condition. However, if oil analysis shows high concentrations of metals and combustion gases then a rebuild may be the logical solution.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 05:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
How do you know it is "well worn". These engines are very well built and last many thousands of hours if moderately maintained. If it has been run hard for many hours that is not a good indication of internal condition. However, if oil analysis shows high concentrations of metals and combustion gases then a rebuild may be the logical solution.
I know they last a long time, but at 26 years old, 6000 hours, and lots of corrosion and oil on the outside of the motor, it's safe to say that at least some serious maintenance is probably going to be due in the near future. I'm capable of diagnosing any issues, I was just looking for a typical cost so that I can factor it into my decision whether or not I purchase the boat.
Old 23-07-2018, 05:52   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

New would be $20-25K USD installed assuming no structural bed issues and the new engine fits the beds. If major fiberglass work or new beds would be needed then add $5K. Replacing raw water seacock, strainer and hoses as well as exhaust system could add a few thousand more.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:16   #8

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Days_at_a_time View Post
I know they last a long time, but at 26 years old, 6000 hours, and lots of corrosion and oil on the outside of the motor, it's safe to say that at least some serious maintenance is probably going to be due in the near future. I'm capable of diagnosing any issues, I was just looking for a typical cost so that I can factor it into my decision whether or not I purchase the boat.

You probably have a Yanmar 4JH2 then, as I do. The newer Yanmars are significantly smaller, less distance between motormounts, at least in the fore-aft positions, which will need modification of your engine bed. So don't just look for a Yanmar to replace your Yanmar, there are others. The closest match I found was a Beta 50. It still would have needed some adapting of the engine bed, different propshaft coupling, and a different prop due to transmission ratio changes. In the end, I rebuilt my 4JH2-TE myself. Most tolerances were close or equal to new, after 5000h. The three jobs I farmed out was boring out the cylinders one size over, refurb the cylinder head, and check injection pump.

A grid blasting place close by helped getting rid of old rust and paint.

Including a transmission rebuild (changed all bearings, wear plates, adjusted axial play), I am at less than $5000, and that with no special pricing on Yanmar parts.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:07   #9

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Take that 6000 hour Yanmar out and rebuild. I just did a complete rebuild on a 3GH30F for under $1000. Not a difficult job. Buy an engine stand from Harbor Freight for $50. and do the job in your garage. All the parts and service manuals are online for free. Had a local machine shop bore the cylinders and install oversized pistons and all new bearings for around $400. and I did the rest of the assembly and repaint. I now have a zero time engine that runs beautifully. I can send you photos if you like.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:16   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

All rebuilt engines are not equal...they are only as good as the mechanic that rebuilt it and in the future will require the same dwindling parts supply at rising cost. A new engine costs more but is a selling feature to a buyer if that is in your future...I've bought two used boats because of that feature.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:17   #11

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
Take that 6000 hour Yanmar out and rebuild. I just did a complete rebuild on a 3GH30F for under $1000. Not a difficult job. Buy an engine stand from Harbor Freight for $50. and do the job in your garage. All the parts and service manuals are online for free. Had a local machine shop bore the cylinders and install oversized pistons and all new bearings for around $400. and I did the rest of the assembly and repaint. I now have a zero time engine that runs beautifully. I can send you photos if you like.
Love to see the photos.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:29   #12
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

masonc:

I'm sorry but your engine "total" hours are not zero. You now have a "rebuilt" engine with zero hours, there is a difference.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:59   #13

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
masonc:

I'm sorry but your engine "total" hours are not zero. You now have a "rebuilt" engine with zero hours, there is a difference.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
I never said that, wrong person
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:13   #14

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I expect a lot more that 6 thousand hours....I have 7000 and have no engine issues on my. 4jh2e.....now I will knock on wood
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:16   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Got a quote 3 yrs ago Yanmar 4jh3e 13K . Appx 1K for new exhaust, 300.00 new motor mounts ,new control cables, mounting new instrument panel misc labor including removing and replacing engine 2K. Do not know what current price of engine is but based on above appx 16k. I am in S Fl if that helps you any. Plea try of reasonable people around. I removed my engine to clean bilge .total cost to remove service engine while out new pumps starter new lift pump new mounts cables appx 2K.
Good Luck
casual is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar