Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 18:36   #1

2QM20 TRANSMISSION FLYWHEEL HOUSING

I can not identify the transmission type/manufacturer on my Yanmar 2QM20 . Apparently must came with a Kansaki transmission with electric shift. Mine has a mechanical/cable shift on top of trans. No nameplate was found on the transmission. I need to replace the bell housing, none of the ones I have seen match mine.

Does someone knows , need a helping hand.

Tks beforehand,

CS
1977 30 Morgan Out Island
cs0155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 18:59   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: 2QM20 TRANSMISSION FLYWHEEL HOUSING

What is the exact engine model on the engine nameplate (located near the starter motor)?

Transmissions fitted to the 2QM20(x) are as follows

2QM20 - YP-7M
2QM20B - YP-10M
2QM20H - KBW10A
2QM20Y - YP-10M
2QM20F - KBW10A

Remember that a PO may have changed the transmission e.g. my 2QM20H actually has a YP-10M transmission instead of the original KBW10A.

If you have a picture of the transmission, it will be easier to identify.

I am unaware of any electric shift associated with a 2QM20 of any model.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:34   #3

Thanks for the information. I will verified the information provided. My engine has no letters after the 2QM20, the transmission has a cable/mechanical shift. No hydraulic pump or hoses. There is a possibility the original transmission was changed, didn't think about that. Thanks again let me keep my search with your information. Will keep you guys updated. I will publish transmission pictures as soon as get back home this week.

Regards,
CS
Old 06-10-2020, 16:11   #4

Then most likely it is a Kansaki YP-7M.

There a service manual for this engine (and all the various transmissions) in the Library section of CF.

See https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...p?do=file&id=5
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-04-2021, 18:34   #5

Got transmission identified yes it is a YP-7M on a 2QM20 YAN MAR. Now I'm can not find 2ea. friction discs part number 124770-83300. YAN MAR claim are not available anymore, any hints ? The 2QMM20 is almost ready, now this Your info is always appreciated,

Thank you very much!

CS

PD Can they be rebuilt?
Old 30-04-2021, 18:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs0155 View Post
Got transmission identified yes it is a YP-7M on a 2QM20 YAN MAR. Now I'm can not find 2ea. friction discs part number 124770-83300. YAN MAR claim are not available anymore, any hints ? The 2QMM20 is almost ready, now this Your info is always appreciated,

Thank you very much!

CS

PD Can they be rebuilt?
Yep, not available from Yanmar.

Technically they can be rebuilt if you can find someone with the right friction pieces and the tooling to rebuilt clutch plates. Decades ago this was common but now not so much.

Compass790 has had some luck in finding old Yanmar clutch plates from various sources - maybe he will come along to this thread...
Old 30-04-2021, 19:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs0155 View Post

Thank you very much!

CS

PD Can they be rebuilt?

Wotname flagged me on this thread.
I dont know if I can get them but I can try. I'm assuming you are USA based? Did you try Toad marine supply?
It might take me a couple of weeks to get an answer for you but I suspect I can get them but the supply chain is pretty slow.If you are in a hurry better to see if Toad has them. They will be a lot cheaper from me if I can get them but I guess you are in a hurry since its spring where you are.
I just supplied a couple of friction discs to a guy in NZ for a Yanmar YSB12.
I suspect they may be the same but I'm not sure.

PM me if you want me to chase them up for you
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 15:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

The other thing to consider if you still need a bellhousing is to buy a complete trashed engine & gearbox. I imagine some people just dump them so you should be able to get one pretty cheap.

I dont know what its like where in the world you are but here in NZ you could buy a used worn out 2qm20 runner for a fair bit less than a bell housing & 2 friction discs frm Yanmar.
The ysb12 fricton discs are approx US$ 174 ea from Toad marine for example.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 15:41   #9

cs0155, likewise I don't where you are located and whether you still need a bell housing or not but since your OP, I have acquired another 2QM20 for parts and the I have no need for the bell housing. You are welcome to have it but I am assuming the freight costs would be prohibitive.
Old 26-01-2022, 17:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
cs0155, likewise I don't where you are located and whether you still need a bell housing or not but since your OP, I have acquired another 2QM20 for parts and the I have no need for the bell housing. You are welcome to have it but I am assuming the freight costs would be prohibitive.
Hi mate,

Is there any chance you still have this available?

I'm chasing a transmission for my Yanmar 2qm20

Cheers

Lisa
SailingKSirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 00:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingKSirah View Post
Hi mate,

Is there any chance you still have this available?

I'm chasing a transmission for my Yanmar 2qm20

Cheers

Lisa
Welcome aboard CF, Lisa. I do have a spare 2QM20 bell housing but I don't have a spare transmission.

You haven't indicated where you are located however I'm in Australia (Tasmania) so freight may be an issue depending on your location.
Old 15-04-2022, 19:15   #12

i have a complete transmission and bell housing for a 2qm20 if you are still in need
Amari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 18:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amari View Post
i have a complete transmission and bell housing for a 2qm20 if you are still in need
Hi Mate,

Im in Australia - I am actually still chasing the friction discs x2 (clutch plates) they don't make them anymore. Any chance you can help?

Cheers,

Lisa
SailingKSirah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20, transmission, wheel