Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2022, 06:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
How to get rid of diesel smell?

HELP,

The interior of my sailboat smells of diesel, any advise on how to get rid of it?

Thanks
Ed
Starfish 2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:07   #2

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: How to get rid of diesel smell?

On fiberglass and or wood concentrated citrus degreasers/ cleaners will do a good job, be liberal in application, also have a “box O rags” at hand, ask me how I know…

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:30   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

First you have to find the source of the smell. Is it a spill or leak? Vent clogged? Is it in wood, fabric or loose liquid? It does no good to just clean it up if you don't figure out why you have the spill.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

PureAyre PureAyre is the only product I've ever found eliminates ANY odor. Not only will it get of diesel odor and residual odor left behind by stinking sanitation hoses, but PureAyre is also rated for use around food...which means you can even use it to get rid of the odor left in your fridge by the steaks or fish that spoiled when a natural disaster took out shore power for 3 days. Also does a great job on musty PFDs and foulies.

How to use it:
You can never eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source...'cuz as long as the source continues to exist, it'll continue to generate new odor. So first you have to find and fix any leak or replace the stinky hoses, then thoroughly clean the site, including every nook and cranny ...a good scrubbing with detergent and water--nothing else. Mop up an excess water and let the air dry till it's at least only damp...no standing puddles. Now you're ready to eliminate the residual odor. Use PureAyre full strength...I'd use pump garden spray jug set to a fine mist. Spray every surface, nook and cranny...just a light spray. Do NOT rinse...just let it dry with hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. If the soft goods in the cabin have picked up the odor, just spraying it on the surface won't do much...you need to spray enough on carpets and rugs to penetrate to the backing...enough to penetrate cushions to the middle from both sides..not enough to make 'em drippy, just enough to get into the cushion....you'll prob'ly have to remove the covers and send 'em to be cleaned. Again, just let everything dry. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot..

PureAyre is available from a number of sources including pet stores, but Amazon.seems to be the only source for anything but spray bottles, which won't go very far...plus, it's cheaper in the long run to buy it by the gallon...it has an indefinite shelf life, so just keep it on hand. The "household" version is the least expensive and will work just fine.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:43   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Assuming you have only a residual smell from a spill or fixed leak, the only cleaning product that I have found that dependably removes the odor is "Greased Lightning" which I have only found at Home Depot. Spray any surface that has been contaminated and rinse or wipe up with paper towels.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:07   #6

Boat: CT 48

My solution was to get everything cleaned to sparkling, paint the bilges as I went, and then run an ozone machine in the boat for a few days. It absolutely eliminates all the odor, even what's trapped in cushions & fabric.

Caveat with an ozone machine is that it's toxic to the 3 P's, people, pets & plants. Plan on sealing the boat up without any of those 3 aboard, and turn it off & let the boat clear for a couple hours before occupying it again. The half-life of ozone is pretty short, so it's not a big deal. I put mine on a timer outlet with 3 hours off per day, and left it to run for a few days, and just came to take it out after it had been off for ~2.5 hours, no ill effects
Old 01-07-2022, 09:17   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

Foam in the cushions can often absorb the odor. We replaced the cushions because getting the odor out of the foam is not easy.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:34   #8

You need to track where it comes from to solve it. Otherwise you can amend the smell temporarily with like Ozone, but it may not go away when you stop running the Ozone.
If it is strong, often it's from diesel getting into the bilge, then the boat heeling over and dousing the underside of the floor plywood which soaks into the wood. The fix for this is scrubbing with dish detergent and hose or pressure washing it. Not easy but often doable.,

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 20:38   #9

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
PureAyre PureAyre is the only product I've ever found eliminates ANY odor. Not only will it get of diesel odor and residual odor left behind by stinking sanitation hoses, but PureAyre is also rated for use around food...which means you can even use it to get rid of the odor left in your fridge by the steaks or fish that spoiled when a natural disaster took out shore power for 3 days. Also does a great job on musty PFDs and foulies.

How to use it:
You can never eliminate any odor unless you first eliminate the source...'cuz as long as the source continues to exist, it'll continue to generate new odor. So first you have to find and fix any leak or replace the stinky hoses, then thoroughly clean the site, including every nook and cranny ...a good scrubbing with detergent and water--nothing else. Mop up an excess water and let the air dry till it's at least only damp...no standing puddles. Now you're ready to eliminate the residual odor. Use PureAyre full strength...I'd use pump garden spray jug set to a fine mist. Spray every surface, nook and cranny...just a light spray. Do NOT rinse...just let it dry with hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate. If the soft goods in the cabin have picked up the odor, just spraying it on the surface won't do much...you need to spray enough on carpets and rugs to penetrate to the backing...enough to penetrate cushions to the middle from both sides..not enough to make 'em drippy, just enough to get into the cushion....you'll prob'ly have to remove the covers and send 'em to be cleaned. Again, just let everything dry. If you still have any odor, you missed a spot..

PureAyre is available from a number of sources including pet stores, but Amazon.seems to be the only source for anything but spray bottles, which won't go very far...plus, it's cheaper in the long run to buy it by the gallon...it has an indefinite shelf life, so just keep it on hand. The "household" version is the least expensive and will work just fine.

--Peggie

I’ve had good experiences with Nilodor:
https://www.nilodor.com
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:31   #10

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have heard of fabric softener used in the washing machine as very efficient. Have no personal experience.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:52   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Funny. Sailors calling power boaters “ Stink Pots” huh? Gas boats don’t stink.
That said neither should yours. You may be weeping fuel fumes from anywhere in the system. I have a recent Yanmar doesn’t stink a bit. Stinks running. So does the Onan maybe worse.
Seal up the engine room keep a healthy blower going. We had a fella die in a club asphyxiated himself running the engine with the canvas buttoned up.
Be safe
Rumrace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:13   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423

I had a fuel tank leak at the sender. After fixing the source of the leak, I cleaned up where I could but ultimately I couldn't get everywhere since the fuel ran down below the tank and into the bilge in inaccessible areas. I used a citrus based bilge cleaner poured near the tank to follow the same path as the fuel eventually found its way down to the sump where I could sponge it out to dispose of it ashore. It worked better than I had expected.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post

Caveat with an ozone machine is that it's toxic to the 3 P's, people, pets & plants.

It's also very hard on rubber and some polymer plastics. Think hoses, hatch gaskets, bushings, etc. Be very sparing in its use
ChrisOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 17:11   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
HELP,

The interior of my sailboat smells of diesel, any advise on how to get rid of it?

Thanks
Ed
Ed, the first thing is to find out where the leak is coming from, and fix it. Usually you can see "tracks" it has left as it descended, near the engine, often at the fuel filters, but anywhere along the fuel lines.

If there is no leak now, then the diesel fumes have penetrated the fabrics, like curtains, cushion covers, and possibly the foam in the cushions. Once it has got into the foam, it is a real challenge to bring back the foam, and much easier to replace it. It can be done. Wash in very hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly, squeeze out all the water you can, and hang vertically to dry in a place protected from dew or rain. Then smell it after it is dry. If it smells like diesel, still, you'll have to keep washing, till it comes out diesel free.

The curtains and cushion covers are easier to simply machine wash and dry.
Apply the smell test. Usually they're good to go.

While the cushions and curtains are off the boat, wash down the overhead, and all the other surfaces. Finish with a HOT water cleanse of the bilges. Your aim here is to remove all the diesel vapor that has plated out onto your surfaces (may even require washing out all the lockers). ([f you find somewhere mildewy, this is a good time to add a little bleach to your wash water, or spray with a dilute solution (6 drops to 1 liter) of clove oil, which deters mould growth.]

Once the leak is solved, and the cleanup complete, reassemble, and it will be good to go. It is a lot of work, but will make the boat a pleasure to be on, as it once was.

Ann

Tags
diesel