Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2022, 05:32   #1

Electric outboard epropulsion navy 6.0 vs Electric Pod Drive epropulsion 6.0 EVO

Hi guys, I am equipping my 34' catamaran and I plan to have an inboard gas engine in one hull, and the other hull I plan to either use the epropulsion navy 6.0 outboard or the epropulsion electric pod drive 6.0 EVO. Both use 6 kw of power for what they claim to be 9.9 HP. I plan to use tiller/rudder steering so I don't need the outboard for steering. What are the pros and cons of the epropulsion navy 6.0kw outboard vs the pod drive 6.0kw EVO? I like the pod drive evo because of the weight savings (32 kg vs 48.5kg for the outboard). My understanding is that they should provide the same amount of speed/mph and range since they are both 6 kw with same size propellers, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I plan to have about 3.0kw of solar panels and 8960 Wh of lithium battery onboard. Thanks in advance for any insights!
sailor4life7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:27   #2
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23
Re: Electric outboard epropulsion navy 6.0 vs Electric Pod Drive epropulsion 6.0 EVO

I too am intrigued by the pod drives. No inboard motor and no drive shaft or shaft log to deal with as with an inboard, no space required for an outboard mount or outboard well. Just put the batteries where it's convenient. Easy installation without constraints about interior space and all the benefits of electric drive.
The only downside I see is that you can't service the motor without haulout. Another advantage of the outboard versions is that they could serve as an emergency backup for your dinghy. (Though moving the controls and battery would not be convenient. )
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:23   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Electric outboard epropulsion navy 6.0 vs Electric Pod Drive epropulsion 6.0 EVO

Side question out of curiosity and learning. What gasoline engine are you using? Don’t worry. I have gasoline outboards and generators on my boat. I’m not against it and going to start a problem. Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I too am intrigued by the pod drives. No inboard motor and no drive shaft or shaft log to deal with as with an inboard, no space required for an outboard mount or outboard well. Just put the batteries where it's convenient. Easy installation without constraints about interior space and all the benefits of electric drive.
The only downside I see is that you can't service the motor without haulout. Another advantage of the outboard versions is that they could serve as an emergency backup for your dinghy. (Though moving the controls and battery would not be convenient. )
Thanks for your input JBP! Do you think the speed/mph and range would be about the same between the Navy 6.0kw outboard and Evo 6.0kw pod drive if I were to use the same batteries for both setup?
sailor4life7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 14:53   #5
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

I'm sure you could email them and ask. My answer is just a guess, but I think the pod would be slightly more efficient, but not enough that it should sway your decision.
Under sail, if you can lift the outboard out, that is 1/2 knot of extra speed.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 21:28   #6

Inboard gas?? Curious what your plan is there?

I like the idea of outboards for small cats… though I’d prefer diesel (if small diesel outboards were ever successful!). Regardless of fuel, I like the opportunity to get the leg out of the water. No drag when sailing. Able to lift/store OUT of the saltwater for less corrosion and fouling. Less draft when tilted up… nothing to sheer off! And if you DO happen to hit something, I’d much rather pop a sheer pin and have the outboard kick up (probably undamaged) vs. sheering off the drive leg of a pod or sail drive. That weight difference is negligible… and possible help balance the carbon fuel engine on the other side. I’d go outboard.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 23:20   #7

All above are valid points. In addition, if the outboard model is not from the new EVO line then it has the motor positioned on top rather than immersed in (and cooled by) the water which involves a transmission leg and extra cooling system so slightly less efficient and more mechanical complexity. And it doesn’t offer hydrogeneration capability - but should be cheaper. The new Navy EVO line has near-identical designs for pod and outboard versions however.
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:59   #8

What about doing both ways?
Mount a pod drive for the 80 to 90% usage and add a E-Outboard in the rare and foreseeable "special" situation.
Hence, most of the times the outboard (or outboards if a catamaran) is stored away. In case of a failure of the pod drive you have a simple redundancy solution which fit the above mentioned 80 to 90%.

Only a thought that might be worth to think about...

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, navy, outboard, propulsion