Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2022, 17:51   #1

19HP Volvo Penta MD2020 vs. Beta Marine 20HP

I have a 32' sailboat in Pt. Charlotte, FL. The 19HP Volvo MD2020 needs to be replaced with a new engine.
1) Would it be worth installing a 20HP Beta Marine engine instead?
2) Where can I find the installation instructions for both these engines?

Thanks in advance for your appreciated words of wisdom!
CaptJDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 18:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 19HP Volvo Penta MD2020 vs. Beta Marine 20HP

Nasty little secret about replacing engines in sailboats: If you replace with a different engine, all the mounts, hoses, seacocks, cables, wiring, exhaust components and service points will be in the wrong places. It may not even fit in the compartment, because the designer didn't waste space that doesn't sell boats, like engine access. It's a known well documented nightmare in the making. If possible, repair or replace with the same make and model.
Old 27-01-2022, 20:23   #3

Boat: Hunter 23.5

https://betamarineusa.com/installation-basics/
oldcranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 11:45   #4

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Nasty little secret about replacing engines in sailboats: If you replace with a different engine, all the mounts, hoses, seacocks, cables, wiring, exhaust components and service points will be in the wrong places. It may not even fit in the compartment, because the designer didn't waste space that doesn't sell boats, like engine access. It's a known well documented nightmare in the making. If possible, repair or replace with the same make and model.
I read this statement and can only think that you have very little, if any at all, marine engine replacement experience. Professional installers read this and laugh. It makes them seem like magicians. While some engine swaps can be a bit frustrating, it is more often than not a straight forward process if you choose your engine engine correctly.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 17:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If the Beta fits I would go for it much rather than the Volvo.
The reasons I say this is because the Volvo has much more expensive parts prices & the Beta uses a kubota base engine that you can buy parts for from a tractor place.
A bloke ( guy) I know who recons used engines says he has a couple of volvos in his shed that he has done up & no one wants them. Also from scanning this forum i notice there are a lot more complaints about Volvos than Kubota based engines like the Beta.
However I dont have direct experience just have heard too many complaints on the slipway & yarning with other yachties. Not to say all volvos are bad, some love their model. Just if I was buying new, Kubota based would be my pick. YMMV
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Roryboy, my opinion on this matter was formed through ten years of reading threads from forum members struggling with the job of replacing an engine. Remember that people who ask questions on the forum are not planning to hand the job over to a professional, who indeed might find replacements with different engines to be fairly straightforward, but are planning to take on the job themselves for the first time, often with limited mechanical experience. Over they years those people have been challenged. One of the successful forum members actually built a cardboard model of the new engine to see if it would fit.

I hope that you will use your expertise to guide other forum members through difficult tasks.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:50   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Your Volvo Penta MD 2020 is same engine as Perkins Perama M20.
Both are marinized versions of Shibaura 103-x series.
Lots of inexpensive Shibaura/Perkins parts available from tractor,Industrial,etc suppliers.
The Shibaura 103-x series are good engines-probably equal to Beta,etc. which are based on kubota
. IMHO.
Lots of info on these Shibaura engines on the net & C Forums.
Considering the major extra costs to remodel the engine space if you change brands,it may make more $$$sense to have a pro rebuild done.
Here is a link to a Perkins service manual(same as V Penta)
Cheers/Len

http://www.svpartyoffive.com/perkins_100.pdf
Old 01-02-2022, 13:19   #8

Old 01-02-2022, 13:41   #9

CaptJDK:

Beta has a policy of supplying mount adaptors that makes the re'n're of engine c/w tranny basically a "drop in" job. A complete wiring harness comes with the engine, so you can just remove what is in the boat now and "snake in" the Beta Harness. Raw water connection is a piecacake, of course. You do need to mind that your manifold to silencer connection is proper, but even that is not too difficult.

Proper alignment of the tranny/shaft is a fiddle, but not difficult. It does require care. "Good enuff" ain't - it HAS to be right!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 14:17   #10

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Your Volvo Penta MD 2020 is same engine as Perkins Perama M20.
Both are marinized versions of Shibaura 103-x series.
Lots of inexpensive Shibaura/Perkins parts available from tractor,Industrial,etc suppliers.
The Shibaura 103-x series are good engines-probably equal to Beta,etc. which are based on kubota
. IMHO.
Lots of info on these Shibaura engines on the net & C Forums.
Considering the major extra costs to remodel the engine space if you change brands,it may make more $$$sense to have a pro rebuild done.
Here is a link to a Perkins service manual(same as V Penta)
Cheers/Len

http://www.svpartyoffive.com/perkins_100.pdf
Len is spot on.

This engine, the VP 2020/Perkins M20 is one of the smoothest 2 cylinder engines made. Engine parts, as well as marinization parts, are readily available for far below VP prices. I'd rebuild unless you have a cracked block.

The Beta is a good engine but not better than the one you have IMO. If you're hellbent on new go for it.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 21:01   #11

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...-overhaul-kit/
Old 02-02-2022, 15:18   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Given the excellent info supplied by Deblen & Kenbo it looks like recoing would be a good option. Certainly the parts4engines price is nothing like Volvos. Recoing is dependent on the skills of the of the rebuilder, if you cannot do a rebuild yourself & dont know a mechanic or reconditioning business with a good rep it could be safer to buy new. Given that info if it was me I would rebuild.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, marine, penta, volvo