Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 08:16   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Prices coming down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It could be seasonal fluctuation. Warming up means lower catamaran prices and come late fall, the prices go up again. This can easily be 5-15% of price.

Is that an actual fact? I would think that boats in the Med and other places would go up in value during the spring and summer.
Old 14-03-2019, 09:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
...the current owners wish to dispose of their pricey boats...will not find enough potential buyers who can afford $300-400K for a used boat/cat. And most such buyers who can afford such expenditure might as well buy new at $699K.

$300K and up for used boat is a very slim slice of boat buying public...
Spot on. You've basically described the relative dearth of 'late model yacht middle class buyers.' Why this is so should cause deep consideration, but it's not PC to talk about.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
the numbers of used boats are coming up. I think most insurance checks were used, and charter companies are up and running, so we'll see the numbers of used boats increasing again.

As somebody already pointed out, there are lots of other factors involved, even the Brexit fiasco in the UK right now. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
If you are looking at second hand boats in US dollars prices of boats priced in Euro looked to have fallen because the exchange rate has improved the USD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
People just aren't interested and their worried about the economy, especially outside the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
as the current owners wish to dispose of their pricey boats they will not find enough potential buyers who can afford $300-400K for a used boat/cat. And most such buyers who can afford such expenditure might as well buy new at $699K.
The perfect storm for reduced prices.

There has been some great looking cat's posted lately for shockingly low price. I've seen a couple reduce the price every few weeks. One that was $360k a few months ago now listed for $290k.
HSV Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:33   #19

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Sailing View Post
The perfect storm for reduced prices.

There has been some great looking cat's posted lately for shockingly low price. I've seen a couple reduce the price every few weeks. One that was $360k a few months ago now listed for $290k.
You should go buy it! What was it, anyway? I've seen several Lagoon 440's coming down in price, but I'm not a Lagoon fan....but others are, so that's good news.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
You should go buy it! What was it, anyway? I've seen several Lagoon 440's coming down in price, but I'm not a Lagoon fan....but others are, so that's good news.
I wish! I'm still years out from a buy, and know almost nothing about sailing yet.

The only thing I'm looking to buy is 2 seats on someone else's cat for a day/night of sailing while they tell me all about their boat.

There have been a couple Lagoon 400, 410 and 420's I've seen dropping. I believe the Leopard 42 recently dropped as well, but I could be mistaken.
HSV Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 17:26   #21

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is that an actual fact? I would think that boats in the Med and other places would go up in value during the spring and summer.
If you believe this catamaran broker with a lot of years experience.
It's his tip #1.

Old 15-03-2019, 04:07   #22

I was told by one of the brokers i have been talking to that pricing of cats was very high due to so many cats lost the past year from hurricanes, people wanting to replace the boats they lost, which drived up demand and pricing on used market.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened imposing tariffs on crude oil imports "coming from outside", amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, and the price war* between Russia and Saudi Arabia, even as he predicted that Saudi Arabia and Russia would come to an agreement, to cut output and stem the rout in prices. Such a deal looked a bit further from reach, at the weekend, after a diplomatic row between Saudi Arabia and Russia.
* We’re now seeing the lowest energy prices, in real terms, since the Second World War.
"If I have to do tariffs on oil coming from outside or if I have to do something to protect our — tens of thousands of energy workers and our great companies that produce all these jobs, I'll do whatever I have to do," Trump told reporters, during a COVID-19 briefing held Saturday. Low oil prices are “going to hurt a lot of jobs,” he said.
That was a change in tone from Friday, when he suggested he wasn’t inclined to target Russia or Saudi Arabia with oil tariffs, but it was a tool that could be used “if we’re not treated fairly.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:41   #24

Gross Imports from either is 6% of the US total imports. Our production will continue to decrease in part due to PE firms withdrawing funding as the 2016/17 promises of profits never materialized with barrel prices even in the 60's. If the world economy hadn't shut down from the pandemic, maybe Trumps threats would hold water. However, the current US driver is measuring fuel economy by gallon per week now.
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Beyond everything was said so far, there is another factor, because of this damned virus many charter company will run out of business , if the situation persists a bit longer. Remember most of these companies are under capitalised and they are living either on leases, bank loans or on the capital of boat owners. Even a huge company like DYC has sent a letter to boat owners that they cannot give them the guaranteed income..I believe , at least in the Med, you will find a lot of cats (used or new) at a very low prices in September.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Beyond everything was said so far, there is another factor, because of this damned virus many charter company will run out of business , if the situation persists a bit longer. Remember most of these companies are under capitalised and they are living either on leases, bank loans or on the capital of boat owners. Even a huge company like DYC has sent a letter to boat owners that they cannot give them the guaranteed income..I believe , at least in the Med, you will find a lot of cats (used or new) at a very low prices in September.

Cheers

Yeloya
We hope you and your outstanding business get thru this Yeloya.

Wishing you guys all the best.
Old 07-04-2020, 15:09   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Regarding new multihulls, I deal with a couple of manufacturers, both have order books out up to three years. I don't see any likelihood of panic selling on their part given that production schedule. Of course other manufacturers may be in a different position. Which leads me to observe, there is not one answer to the question, indeed there never is. Regarding used multihulls, in my market the local dollar had dropped against the US and Euro, which is the currencies that most new multis are manufactured in, meaning new multis are going up in price rapidly for the local market, meaning there is an upward drag on the used market, also with the AU dollar decrease used boats in AU are getting raridly cheaper in US dollar terms, so that is also keeping the used market buoyant.

Again, just the story for multis and only in my country. Other market sectors and places will no doubt be different.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 15:51   #28

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Regarding new multihulls, I deal with a couple of manufacturers, both have order books out up to three years. I don't see any likelihood of panic selling on their part given that production schedule. Of course other manufacturers may be in a different position. Which leads me to observe, there is not one answer to the question, indeed there never is. Regarding used multihulls, in my market the local dollar had dropped against the US and Euro, which is the currencies that most new multis are manufactured in, meaning new multis are going up in price rapidly for the local market, meaning there is an upward drag on the used market, also with the AU dollar decrease used boats in AU are getting raridly cheaper in US dollar terms, so that is also keeping the used market buoyant.

Again, just the story for multis and only in my country. Other market sectors and places will no doubt be different.

i tell ya, boat, especially cat beats house or unit on land as way to overcome lockdown by 1000 to 1.

As chinese say if you smell person you are too close and in danger. I cant even see how can one avoid smell in unit block or even infinite suburban housing.

We are making sure that if anchoring leeward we are at least 500m away from any house group.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 16:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
If you believe this catamaran broker with a lot of years experience.
It's his tip #1.

That video is a joke

The talking head is s snake oil salesman

Survey for 150 or 200 dollars ????

I just had a 50 footer surveyed and it was 4700 dollars
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 18:50   #30

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
That video is a joke

The talking head is s snake oil salesman

Survey for 150 or 200 dollars ????

I just had a 50 footer surveyed and it was 4700 dollars

The guy is talking about a pre inspection survey when you are not able to attend and what to get an idea before traveling , just to get a ball park feel for it. Full survey and sea trail is another matter, and usually around $20 - 40 per foot.

I think you got well and truly ripped off at $4700 for a survey, unless it was a $4m boat.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price