Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 10:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Diesel Fuel Prices: Local Prices Around the World

While reading another thread on the forum related to using a power boat or a sailboat for long term cruising, the higher cost of fuel in Europe, compared to USA prices, was mentioned. It made me curious about the cost of marine diesel (e.g. sold at a marina for use by boaters) around the world.

Scenario: You are taking a boat for long term cruise (around the world) and want to get an idea of the cost of diesel fuel sold at marinas around the world.

For the purpose of this thread, I personally am mostly curious about the cost of fuel in places anywhere outside of the USA (e.g. UK, Northern Europe, Mediterranean, Asia, South Pacific, South America). But, I hope others find the data interesting too.

Why? Because I think it would be interesting to understand the relative cost of cruising in a motor yacht (power boat) in those areas.

Please post your geographic location and the local price for fuel and indicate whether you are quoting per liter or per gallon.

USA
Puget Sound
Diesel: $2.45 Gallon
Gas (Petrol): $3.00 Gallon

USA
Annapolis MD
Diesel Price: $2.799 Gallon
Gas (Petrol): $3.029 Gallon

USA
Miami FL
Diesel Price: $3.649 Gallon
Gas (Petrol): $4.149 Gallon

UK
Cowes
Diesel £1.02 per litre = about USD $6 per Gallon
Petrol £1.37 per litre

How to Find Marine Fuel Prices Online in USA

To quickly find current Diesel and Gas prices in the USA such as along the ICW or East Coast of USA, I found the following website very helpful: https://www.waterwayguide.com/fuel-pricing/fecm

It lists multiple fuel sources and is organized by the mile markers on the ICW so a boater traveling along the ICW can find competitive fuel sources (it also indicates the source address and names of business or marina).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 11:06   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Diesel Fuel Prices: Local Prices Around the World

Quote:
USA
Annapolis MD
I paid an average of close to $4.00 per gallon in June, 2014. It's amazing how fuel prices bounce up and down like they do.

There are no guarantees and I suspect some of the people running the USA right now would like to see fuel prices rise or put a big tax on fuel to discourage its use.
Old 18-04-2015, 14:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today I came across a mention that in French, the terms are:

Diesel = gazole

Gasoline = essence

Another point: According to one source, in Tahiti, fuel prices are regulated and a foreign flagged vessel can obtain a form from customs that allows the purchase of duty free fuel. The advice was to ask for the form when a yacht checks in at Papeete. Source also indicated that gasoline is not available duty free. The note was written in 2009, so check to verify this is still valid.
Old 18-04-2015, 14:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
While reading another thread on the forum related to using a power boat or a sailboat for long term cruising, the higher cost of fuel in Europe, compared to USA prices, was mentioned. It made me curious about the cost of marine diesel (e.g. sold at a marina for use by boaters) around the world.

Scenario: You are taking a boat for long term cruise (around the world) and want to get an idea of the cost of diesel fuel sold at marinas around the world.

For the purpose of this thread, I personally am mostly curious about the cost of fuel in places anywhere outside of the USA (e.g. UK, Northern Europe, Mediterranean, Asia, South Pacific, South America). But, I hope others find the data interesting too.

Why? Because I think it would be interesting to understand the relative cost of cruising in a motor yacht (power boat) in those areas.

Please post your geographic location and the local price for fuel and indicate whether you are quoting per liter or per gallon.

USA
Puget Sound
Diesel: $2.45 Gallon
Gas (Petrol): $3.00 Gallon

USA
Annapolis MD
Gas (Petrol): $3.029 Gallon

USA
Miami FL
Diesel Price: $3.649 Gallon
Gas (Petrol): $4.149 Gallon

UK
Cowes
Diesel £1.02 per litre = about USD $6 per Gallon
Petrol £1.37 per litre

How to Find Marine Fuel Prices Online in USA

To quickly find current Diesel and Gas prices in the USA such as along the ICW or East Coast of USA, I found the following website very helpful: https://www.waterwayguide.com/fuel-pricing/fecm

It lists multiple fuel sources and is organized by the mile markers on the ICW so a boater traveling along the ICW can find competitive fuel sources (it also indicates the source address and names of business or marina).
Concerning UK fuel prices -- the UK has a system where you declare how much of your fuel you use for heating and power generation, which is tax free, and propulsion, which under EU pressure was made taxable a few years ago. Since my boat's usual mooring is without power, and is a sailboat, it's believable for me in the winter time to declare 80% domestic uses, which I do. At the moment, the domestic price is 0.72/liter, which works out to about $4.32 a gallon.

In Guernsey, where I will be at the end of the month, the price for all fuel (domestic and propulsion) is 0.68, or a bit less than $4 a gallon. Naturally I will bunker up there.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 14:52   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Bahamas $4.70 a gallon.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 19-04-2015, 06:09   #6

The most craziest system worldwide you 'll find in Germany..
gas ' n dieselprices are on the move 24hrs...
Benzin- und Dieselpreise in Deutschland aktuell
choosing a city or postal code will get actual prices of connected gas stations

red line = Diesel
one exeption = Helgoland/ North Sea, because it 's tax free area
Diesel 14.4.15 500l = 0,91E/ liter
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 06:29   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Over here, Tasmania, Australia, it's currently $1:34 a litre, the same as petrol.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 06:32   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Diesel Fuel Prices: Local Prices Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Concerning UK fuel prices -- the UK has a system where you declare how much of your fuel you use for heating and power generation, which is tax free, and propulsion, which under EU pressure was made taxable a few years ago. Since my boat's usual mooring is without power, and is a sailboat, it's believable for me in the winter time to declare 80% domestic uses, which I do. At the moment, the domestic price is 0.72/liter, which works out to about $4.32 a gallon.

In Guernsey, where I will be at the end of the month, the price for all fuel (domestic and propulsion) is 0.68, or a bit less than $4 a gallon. Naturally I will bunker up there.

In Ireland. The same but different scheme is in Operation , you can fill with marked gas oil, there is no provision for a split between propulsion and heating. So you must remit to the tax authorities within 12 months the difference between commercial diesel and marked gas. oil. Last year at least 40 boaters did so too. !!

It's worth noting that the system wasnt implemented As a result of EU " pressure " it was a derogation secured on entry to the EEC by Ireland and the uk, that non road users could use marked gas oil. That derogation was written into national law, which simply expired

It's worth noting the EU is proposing to sue both the uk and Ireland over the current arrangements.

Currently marked gas oil is €0.80 /litre. Hence about €3.20 per US gallon. Or $3.50
Remitting the tax of course makes this more expensive

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-04-2015, 09:26   #9

Boat: Nauticat 32

In Finland current prices in in one marina are
diesel 1.49 € per litre
gasoline 1.71 € per litre (octane 98)

You can find current prices of different stations e.g. at Polttoaine.net - Powered by Webmoon. Marinas are listed at Polttoaine.net - Powered by Webmoon, but it seems that there is only one station listed now (I guess because nobody is sailing yet, this early in spring). This data is collected by voluntary visiting customers, and therefore availability of data may vary.

Marina prices are quite systematically somewhat higher than in regular gas stations. Therefore we typically simply carry our diesel (for our quite modest needs) ourselves to the boat from the cheapest regular gas stations.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:28   #10

Might help to compare everything in litres.

I believe that the US gallon and the UK gallon aren't the same size.
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:28   #11

Boat: Moody 40, 1998

Here in Norway we're paying about 14 Norwegian kroner per liter for diesel, or $US 1.80; closer to $2 for gasoline/bensin.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 11:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
Might help to compare everything in litres.

I believe that the US gallon and the UK gallon aren't the same size.

I agree. Good point.

For simplicity and universality, the litre is the preferred unit of measurement.

But, knowing as I do that most Americans (a large part of this forum membership) tend to think in and use US gallons as a unit of reference, I included the option for both.

What is the difference between Imperial Gallons vs. US Gallons?

For those who would like to know a bit more about the difference between Imperial Gallons and US Gallons, there is a good article on Wikipedia that includes the following. SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

The Imperial Gallon was originally based on the VOLUME of 10 pounds of water.

The US Gallon of water weighs "about 8.34 pounds or 3.78 kilograms at 62 °F (17 °C), making it about 16.6% lighter than the imperial gallon.

"the imperial gallon (≈ 4.546 L), which is used in the United Kingdom, Canada, and some Caribbean countries; the US gallon (≈ 3.79 L), which is used in the US and some Latin American and Caribbean countries; "

"The imperial gallon, quart, pint, cup and gill are approximately 20% larger than their US counterparts and are therefore not interchangeable. "

"The Imperial gallon continues to be used as a unit of measure in Anguilla,[14] Antigua and Barbuda,[15] the Bahamas,[16] the British Virgin Islands,[17] the Cayman Is.,[18] Dominica,[19] Grenada,[20] Montserrat,[21] Myanmar (Burma),[22] St. Kitts & Nevis,[23] St. Lucia,[24] and St. Vincent & the Grenadines.[25]

Other than the United States, the US gallon is used in Liberia, Belize, Colombia, The Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Peru.[26]"

See the photo below for the multiple markings of quantity (of different units) on the fuel can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallon Fuel Can 3 measurements.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	100647  
Old 19-04-2015, 12:18   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Hi guys. The Royal Yachting Association in UK usually runs a news item on this as things develop. Generally speaking it is not a problem to be using red diesel but it is important to keep correctly marked receipts and maybe make a note of engine hrs at time of filling up. In order to see the current guidelines I suggest you take a look at Red Diesel Abroad | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA
By the way, what the RYA did not include is that if you are going from the UK to EU it is wise not to carry any red diesel in a spare reserve can.

For Steady Hand: "Marked Diesel" in the UK is red, same as for agricultural use and is much cheaper than the diesel used in cars.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:24   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
For simplicity and universality, the litre is the preferred unit of measurement.
I notice Americans even have their own spelling for litre ie. liter.

In New Zealand we are paying about NZ$1.50 per litre for diesel, or $NZ 1.95 for petrol. Equivalent to about US$1.95 and US2.55 per liter.
Old 19-04-2015, 13:36   #15

In Ecuador we paid $1.39 Diesel $1.49 for Regular and the best it was for a Gallon
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, diesel, fuel, price, round the world