Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 01:36   #61

Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patg View Post
Don't think it's rendered. And for sure it's not a photo of the new 55 since build number 1 will be ready in a year from now... Looks like a 5X or a 51 with the structural longitudinal beam option.

Moulding of build number 1 starts these days and they already have a long list of preorders... amazing..

No to me it's clearly a render, quite soffisticated one (constant progress in these, like in video games), but the lifelines for instance are completely straight whereas in a pic you could see a light bending.
(also the water "projections" at the bows are a bit strange)

(plus they wouldn't publish a pic of another model, and the reverse bows are more slanted than the 51 or 5x)
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 01:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patg View Post
Don't think it's rendered. And for sure it's not a photo of the new 55 since build number 1 will be ready in a year from now... Looks like a 5X or a 51 with the structural longitudinal beam option.

Moulding of build number 1 starts these days and they already have a long list of preorders... amazing..

No to me it's clearly a render, quite soffisticated one (constant progress in these, like in video games), but the lifelines for instance are completely straight whereas in a pic you could see a slight bending.
(also the water "projections" at the bows are a bit strange)

(plus they wouldn't publish a pic of another model, and the reverse bows are more slanted than the 51 or 5x)
Old 17-01-2020, 05:16   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Can you expand a bit on the safety problems? I read a thread about the Gunboat forward cockpit but the forward space on the 7X doesn't look like a cockpit in the sense that you'd operate the boat from there?
There are none...I was being a bit precocious. There are the internet sailing police out there though that like to say that this feature is not safe for crossing oceans/blue water cruising.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 05:58   #64

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
There are none...I was being a bit precocious. There are the internet sailing police out there though that like to say that this feature is not safe for crossing oceans/blue water cruising.
Ah, I understand
Old 17-01-2020, 09:38   #65

New instagram post from Outremer :
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7bVVYkggyh/

On the last pic of this post, there is a pic on the screen, looks a bit strange to me, not sure why they raise the solar pv that much on the davits, to avoid the shade from the bimini probably, but the result looks quite "bizzy".

Also it looks like the helm(wheel) will be able to pivot.
Old 17-01-2020, 10:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
New instagram post from Outremer :
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7bVVYkggyh/

On the last pic of this post, there is a pic on the screen, looks a bit strange to me, not sure why they raise the solar pv that much on the davits, to avoid the shade from the bimini probably, nut the result looks quite "bizzy"
Can you find the port side wheel? There seems to be one, but lower in the cockpit.
Old 17-01-2020, 10:16   #67

Yes! The port wheel is in a different place. Fixed or adjustable, who knows.

Old 17-01-2020, 10:18   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Can you find the port side wheel? There seems to be one, but lower in the cockpit.
I guess both are the same (and you could chose to have one only), but they can pivot from inside the cockpit to outside.
Old 17-01-2020, 10:26   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
I guess both are the same (and you could chose to have one only), but they can pivot from inside the cockpit to outside.
That would be sweet. I don't know who invented it but saw it on the Balance catamarans and it seemed really smart.
Old 18-01-2020, 19:02   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammi View Post
If you were to rank catamarans (of roughly same size) beginning with an Outremer by gradually dialing down performance, and dialing up livability while trying to maintain build quality, what would your order of brands be? (I understand build quality of some production brands doesn’t make them last a long time)

Where would a Catana 471 figure on that list?

I’m trying to get more educated on what different brands offer.

Thank you
It would be last.Its a doggy.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 00:42   #71
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammi View Post
If you were to rank catamarans (of roughly same size) beginning with an Outremer by gradually dialing down performance, and dialing up livability while trying to maintain build quality, what would your order of brands be? (I understand build quality of some production brands doesn’t make them last a long time)

Where would a Catana 471 figure on that list?

I’m trying to get more educated on what different brands offer.

Thank you
I haven't sailed a C 471 but I assume she's pretty much like the C 47 that I own 47 and I also sailed quite a bit with O 51. C 47 offers much more space than O51 particularly in the galleys althought she's not comparable obviously to Lagoon or FP of similar size. Contrary to what most people think, O51 is not faster than C 47, maybe slightly in very light winds. Outremer can also point a bit more in calm seas but not much.
They are both very well made, solid and rigid boats. Winches, cleats, jammers are all the best available in the market and mostly oversized.
Their price tags also are pretty close.
Catana has a higher freeboard and I like her better when you are up to choppy sea.
Most people would prefer the semi elevated helm position of Outremer vs. pretty exposed one for Catana. This doesn't bother me at all but the visbility on the opposite corner is none.. Another problem with the Catana is that all the lines are coming to the cockpit (which is very good for singlehanding and safely reefing unreefing, trimming, etc) but when you are sailing there are tons of lines messed up to in the cockpit that my wife hates..
Both have a smallish fridges for long passages and blue voyage.

All in all, If I were to buy a new one, I would still go for a Catana.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 02:22   #72
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

I never sailed catanas or outremers, but from a specsheet prespective the C47 is not a true "fast cruiser" (or cruiser racer), it's a rather heavy sailboat loaded with enormous sails. 139sqm for a 14m 10.9t cat ! The big advantage I see in the lighter fast cruisers is their ability to sail (fast) with smaller sails. The C47 in terms of external dimension could be compared to the O45 which only has 106sqm for 14.65m 8.7t. The latter is obviously much easier and less stressful to handle. (That I can easily imagine because that is more or less the sail area of my lagoon with first reef)
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 04:18   #73

How cool is this!

Old 19-01-2020, 04:49   #74

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Great idea for the old problem of exposed helm stations.

Great weather have a perfect location for steering in the sun with great visibility.
Bad weather and you are sheltered.
I assume there is a bench in the "down" position as well? How is the visibility there?

Love it.
Old 19-01-2020, 09:05   #75
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
I never sailed catanas or outremers, but from a specsheet prespective the C47 is not a true "fast cruiser" (or cruiser racer), it's a rather heavy sailboat loaded with enormous sails. 139sqm for a 14m 10.9t cat ! The big advantage I see in the lighter fast cruisers is their ability to sail (fast) with smaller sails. The C47 in terms of external dimension could be compared to the O45 which only has 106sqm for 14.65m 8.7t. The latter is obviously much easier and less stressful to handle. (That I can easily imagine because that is more or less the sail area of my lagoon with first reef)
If you consider Outremer as a fast cruiser , Catana certainly is too, none of them being cruiser racer.
Yes, Catana has a huge main , that's why I can make 4-4,5 kts of speed in 5-5,5 kts of true wind.
The O45 can even be faster than O51 and definately than C 47, if the numbers given by the factory are true.

Lastly, I sailed also Catana 58 with 128 sqm of main. Size doesn't matter here, how the sail plan is set does. I have more difficulty of handling 60-65 sqm of main, if the boom is above my head which is the case for most of the flybridge cats.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, outremer