Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 04:56   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 63
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I guess. Outremer lists two displacements for each model, so I assume the lower is for an empty boat and the higher could be the fully loaded boat ("ready to sail" including optional equipment, liquids, dinghy, food, people, ...).

Also, I assume there are options to further "carbonize" some of the boat and reduce weight, so the published numbers are just one version of the truth. We have a meeting with them this Friday so I will ask for more info.

EDIT: And yes, pounds displacement!

Wow considering buying one ?

If yes (or even no), ask them the question when you would get it if signing now.
__________________

yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 05:13   #92
Registered User
 
mglonnro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Turku, Finland
Boat: Hanse 388
Posts: 604
Images: 1
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
Wow considering buying one ?

If yes (or even no), ask them the question when you would get it if signing now.
Yes, absolutely! We're looking into alternatives maybe 4-5 years from now, so not in any particular hurry. With long build times, of course, that's not that far away either. And I've never ever sailed on a performance catamaran, so we'll have to try that also, before getting too excited (Been firmly in the monohull culture so far.)

I will certainly ask that question if nobody else gets there first!
__________________

__________________
nakedsailor.blog / @the_nakedsailor
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 10:33   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
when you would get it if signing now.
Delivery for next available slot is 2022
Seahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 15:35   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,567
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahab View Post
Delivery for next available slot is 2022
subscribed. Hope to be able to sell this to my wife.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 05:03   #95
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 63
Re: New outremer model coming

A bit more views :



The lines that we see below the "winches block" are the solent/genoa sheets ?

That's a quite complicated "route", they go through 3 blocks it seems

And I wonder what will be the arrangement for the spinnakers/code 0 sheets, they will go to the same winches ?
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 07:20   #96
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,926
Balance

It's out of my price range but I would also carefully consider the Balance cats. The prices are right there on the website too. For instance the 526 is $1.44 mill base and they say about $1.65 cruise equipped. It's interesting that you can have these with keels or boards. The little one is built in China and the story was there were some weight issues with the first one. All the rest are built in South Africa I believe.
https://balancecatamarans.com/
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:51   #97
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 63
Re: New outremer model coming

The big plus of the balance is that it is epoxy
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 14:57   #98
Registered User
 
mglonnro's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Turku, Finland
Boat: Hanse 388
Posts: 604
Images: 1
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahab View Post
Delivery for next available slot is 2022
Update from our visit: only two slots available for 2022, then it's 2023
__________________
nakedsailor.blog / @the_nakedsailor
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 15:07   #99
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 959
Re: Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
It's out of my price range but I would also carefully consider the Balance cats. The prices are right there on the website too. For instance the 526 is $1.44 mill base and they say about $1.65 cruise equipped. It's interesting that you can have these with keels or boards. The little one is built in China and the story was there were some weight issues with the first one. All the rest are built in South Africa I believe.
https://balancecatamarans.com/
I like the Balance cats. Believe it or not, ordering one WITHOUT daggerboards saves a bunch of money. Phil Berman quoted me around 40K....but I think that was just a wag.
__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 15:13   #100
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 4,516
New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I like the Balance cats. Believe it or not, ordering one WITHOUT daggerboards saves a bunch of money. Phil Berman quoted me around 40K....but I think that was just a wag.


Much more labor and materials involved in building and installing daggerboards and trunks as compared to gluing on a couple of mini keels.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 22:42   #101
Registered User
 
fxykty's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Auckland
Boat: Outremer 55L
Posts: 1,095
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Much more labor and materials involved in building and installing daggerboards and trunks as compared to gluing on a couple of mini keels.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Well. if the daggerboards are in the middle of the hull (like ours are) then yes, more engineering, labour and materials relative to keels. But for modern designs that put the trunk along the side of the hull I can’t imagine that is so much more complex or expensive than keels. Unless they’re curved or have foils.

As for disadvantages of daggerboards, having to adjust them is the only one I can think of (well, the aesthetics of raised daggerboards protruding above deck level may not be everyone’s cup of tea either).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 00:54   #102
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Posts: 1,248
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
But for modern designs that put the trunk along the side of the hull I can’t imagine that is so much more complex or expensive than keels. Unless they’re curved or have foils.

As for disadvantages of daggerboards, having to adjust them is the only one I can think of (well, the aesthetics of raised daggerboards protruding above deck level may not be everyone’s cup of tea either).
The trunks are made of exotic / expensive materiels (Kevlar most of the time) , requires extensive labour and are expensive wherever they are installed. The factory quoted 13.600 € for a single daggerboard of my Catana 46 which was broken..
The main disadvantage is not having to adjust them IMO, you don't do that very often. The only issue the extra price you pay for anda bit of buoyancy that you lose.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 05:15   #103
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 4,516
Re: New outremer model coming

One advantage of the mini keel is the ability to protect the rudder in a grounding. We usually drop our daggerboard to just below rudder depth so it will take the impact of a grounding, but I’m guessing in a serious grounding the damage done to daggerboard and trunk would be much more severe and expensive to repair than that of a mini keel.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 00:02   #104
Registered User
 
fxykty's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Auckland
Boat: Outremer 55L
Posts: 1,095
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
One advantage of the mini keel is the ability to protect the rudder in a grounding. We usually drop our daggerboard to just below rudder depth so it will take the impact of a grounding, but I’m guessing in a serious grounding the damage done to daggerboard and trunk would be much more severe and expensive to repair than that of a mini keel.

Agreed on both points, and would especially discourage sacrificing the dagger board and possibly trunk rather than a rudder. Mini keels if not filled with tanks would be cheaper to repair.

Do the new generation Outremers still have a skeg with foot in front of the props and rudders? Our first generation 55L does. With max hull depth of 0.8m and skeg and rudder depth of 1.1m the boat was designed to be beached on a slope.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 00:09   #105
Registered User
 
fxykty's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Auckland
Boat: Outremer 55L
Posts: 1,095
Re: New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The trunks are made of exotic / expensive materiels (Kevlar most of the time) , requires extensive labour and are expensive wherever they are installed. The factory quoted 13.600 € for a single daggerboard of my Catana 46 which was broken..

The main disadvantage is not having to adjust them IMO, you don't do that very often. The only issue the extra price you pay for anda bit of buoyancy that you lose.



Cheers



Yeloya

Hmm, I guess the advantage of an older boat is no exotics. Our trunks are engineered into the structure of the hulls, but otherwise not particularly complex. I’ve heard of at least one first generation 50 or 55 that has mini keels but I didn’t hear if there was any price difference either way for that option.

We adjust our boards frequently, almost as often as sails (offshore). Inshore the sails get more tweaking.
__________________

fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
model, outremer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New bows for Outremer 50/55 Sand crab Multihull Sailboats 10 Today 17:44
More late model cats coming out of charter? Time to rethink RKsailsolo Multihull Sailboats 23 14-03-2015 05:08
New Outremer 5X Video Sand crab Multihull Sailboats 5 01-06-2012 06:20
New Outremer 49 - Wow! freetime Multihull Sailboats 2 11-05-2009 16:28
new Outremer 49 Mark424 Multihull Sailboats 0 18-12-2008 11:32

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.