Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 09:44   #76

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: New outremer model coming

The 55 page is live now!

http://catamaran-outremer.com/fr/outremer-55-en/
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 10:25   #77
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
The 55 page is live now!

Outremer55-en - Catamaran Outremer
Fantastic ! Outremer is killing it !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 12:00   #78

Looks nice, a bit more pushed on the comfort side compared to perf than the 51 it seems :

mainsail 104 m2 for the 55, 91 for the 51, displacement 10.9 51 , 13.5 for the 55
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 14:26   #79

Boat: Outremer 55L

Nice salon layout and partially solves the primary complaint about the small galley. Clever split of the port hull head to provide a separate shower. Pivoting helms are a great idea and neater than the separate tillers. Very nice indoor garden area (inspired by La Vagabonde?).

But, a few problems.
- Larger sail area and larger engines because of the higher displacement. Starts to go down the slippery slope of not being as easily driven and needing more power, needing heavier gear and more fuel capacity, and so on.
- Extended bridgedeck, especially aft. More wave interference and more windage and drag in extreme conditions.
- More beam and fatter hulls. More windage and drag as per the above two points.
- Fat sterns and sole-level entry into the cockpit decrease sea kindliness and safety. With more flotation aft the bows will become more loaded and more vulnerable to yawing in hard running conditions. The low entry means the cockpit is more vulnerable to breaking waves.
- Dinghy will sit relatively low in the davits, barely if at all above the bottom of the bridgedeck. Why didn’t they lift the dinghy to the panels rather than just lift the panels?

Compared to the first generation 55 it seems like the new (much larger) Mini vs original Mini. We’re the same length but 60% of the displacement, 80% of the beam and 75% of the sail area (that’s for an 55L). Perhaps too small inside for many but perfect for us. As I’ve written before, the only thing I want from the new generation is tillers. The rest, meh.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 15:25   #80

On FB they answer to a comment as having already 11 on their order book ! Best start ever ..

(and first one to be delivered end of this year)
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 22:01   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
On FB they answer to a comment as having already 11 on their order book ! Best start ever ..

(and first one to be delivered end of this year)
Will be interesting to hear how many years down the road the next free build slot is

I don't see a lot of recent news updates on the Grand Large Yachting corporate site. Maybe they are in the middle of negotiating some investment partnership to increase production capacity.
Old 19-01-2020, 23:02   #82

So I had an opportunity to chat with the Outremer guys at the Düsseldorf show and look at all of the pictures and specs. I was told the boat has the exact proportions as the 45/51/5x with respect to hull length/width as well as saloon & cockpit space. What they have done a very nice job of is incorporating a more modern design with a huge door opening up the inside to out. Also the big one for me is the versa-helm setup where you can set it to be protected inside the cockpit. That’s very nice! Kitchen layout is way better, no tillers anymore. First boat at a show will be La grande motte 2021 I was told. Will be a very nice set up!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 23:06   #83

almost perfect...needs some sort of sunshade over the seats to make it perfect. they can be removeable but with the swept design of the seats it makes it hard to design something aftermarket that will look good....need to redesign those seats a bit and then it will be perfect
bcjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 23:25   #84

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjams View Post
almost perfect...needs some sort of sunshade over the seats to make it perfect. they can be removeable but with the swept design of the seats it makes it hard to design something aftermarket that will look good....need to redesign those seats a bit and then it will be perfect

Why sunshades? You steer by hand in those chairs for fun, or hang out enjoying the environment with sunscreen and a hat. For passages and watch keeping the helms will be in their lowered positions, the autopilot will be on, and the cockpit or nav chair or salon will be the station.

It’s weird. When talking about monohulls, especially performance cruising monohulls, nobody worries about dual helms stations in the aft corners of an aft cockpit, or the lack of permanent bimini, or the requirement to be fully enclosed when on watch. But for cats for some reason cockpits and helm stations must be covered and fully enclosed.

All the Outremers are performance cruisers. They’re bought by people who want to sail and cruise, not cruise and sail. People who put a priority on sailing don’t mind so much spending some of their time in the weather. So let’s not talk about silly sunshades like on the Excess 12 and 15.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 23:44   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Why sunshades? You steer by hand in those chairs for fun, or hang out enjoying the environment with sunscreen and a hat. For passages and watch keeping the helms will be in their lowered positions, the autopilot will be on, and the cockpit or nav chair or salon will be the station.

It’s weird. When talking about monohulls, especially performance cruising monohulls, nobody worries about dual helms stations in the aft corners of an aft cockpit, or the lack of permanent bimini, or the requirement to be fully enclosed when on watch. But for cats for some reason cockpits and helm stations must be covered and fully enclosed.

All the Outremers are performance cruisers. They’re bought by people who want to sail and cruise, not cruise and sail. People who put a priority on sailing don’t mind so much spending some of their time in the weather. So let’s not talk about silly sunshades like on the Excess 12 and 15.
I personally want sunshade because it’s fun to sit in the elevated position and enjoy the ride. Having spent time in the tropics cruising (not racing) I get absolutely get fried if in direct sunshine for hours on end. Not comfortable at all. Plus there are going to be times when it’s pouring cats and dogs as you are coming into an anchorage...the down helm position does help that but it’s still something It would be tough to live without.
Old 20-01-2020, 06:29   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

As some forumers already said, Outremer is moving on a more "civilised" mode, obviously giving away from the performance side, though will still be faster than many production cat.
I've noticed that new 55 and 5 X is designed by VPLP instead of Christophe Barreau who designed the O 45,4 X along with previous Catana modeles, including the C 47, cruiser racer TP 42 from Marsaudon Composite, etc.
I know Christophe, he's a tough guy, draws only performance boat in the way he likes. Van Petegham of VPLP designs anything from condomimum Lagoons to the record breaking trimarans. He does whatever he's asked to do.
As a matter of fact, Outremer should have briefed a bit more comfortable boat which he did. But, I'd bet the O 45 will be faster than this 55.

I assume noone knows the price of O 55 (if yes, pls share..) but I expect it to be min around 1 mio € to start with. With the A/C, genset, dingy, outboard, solar panels, upgraded sails will come close to 1,2 mio €.
I also know that increasing the capacity in France is not an easy task. The main trouble is to find skilled people. That's the main reason why FP has acquired Dufour not simply because they were interested in entering in a already struggling monohull market.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 12:46   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvest View Post
Looks nice, a bit more pushed on the comfort side compared to perf than the 51 it seems :

mainsail 104 m2 for the 55, 91 for the 51, displacement 10.9 51 , 13.5 for the 55
The SA/Ds for the different published displacement ranges and sail areas (checked with mainsail plus self-tacker) aren't that far off, however?

Maybe I'm using funky numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 22.44.52.png
Views:	188
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	207307  
Old 20-01-2020, 13:26   #88

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is that pounds displacement and 10,000 pounds payload?
Old 20-01-2020, 13:32   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

I assume noone knows the price of O 55 (if yes, pls share..) but I expect it to be min around 1 mio € to start with. With the A/C, genset, dingy, outboard, solar panels, upgraded sails will come close to 1,2

Cheers

Yeloya
I was told that the boat would be around $1.4M Euros at the show. I have to say, what a great show Düsseldorf is, we could have spent a couple more days easily. The Oyster 565 and the Amel 60 were really spectacular boats to tour.
Old 20-01-2020, 21:13   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is that pounds displacement and 10,000 pounds payload?
I guess. Outremer lists two displacements for each model, so I assume the lower is for an empty boat and the higher could be the fully loaded boat ("ready to sail" including optional equipment, liquids, dinghy, food, people, ...).

Also, I assume there are options to further "carbonize" some of the boat and reduce weight, so the published numbers are just one version of the truth. We have a meeting with them this Friday so I will ask for more info.

EDIT: And yes, pounds displacement!

Tags
model, outremer