Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 07:33   #31

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Lowest Cost Place in Florida to do a Refit

Yes, on the hard in a yard would be best.

Again, if controlling cost is an issue, then working on the floating boat, in a marina slip, at a rented waterfront homeowner dock or at anchor w/ generator power will all decrease costs.

A contractor table saw provides acceptable utility, plus smaller size and portability, as compared against a full size workshop table saw.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:10   #32

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I'll just add my recent experience.

Try to get a written qoute on your expenses. I just got hauled on the west coast of Florida, to do some maintenance on my Sillette drive. Went to the marina office, they said X amount for haul out, X amount for block, X amount for daily rate, and X amount to relaunch, I was only on the hard for ten days..............

When they handed me the bill, there was an extra charge because I am a catamaran, there was an extra charge for trash disposal and a few other fees that were not mentioned..........

To the tune of extra three or four hundred dollars..........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:24   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Yes, on the hard in a yard would be best.

Again, if controlling cost is an issue, then working on the floating boat, in a marina slip, at a rented waterfront homeowner dock or at anchor w/ generator power will all decrease costs.

A contractor table saw provides acceptable utility, plus smaller size and portability, as compared against a full size workshop table saw.

I'm on the generator life now. It gets old (because the generator is now old ha ha). Also, fuel for the generator costs more than a slip does in a lot of cases. $250-$300/mo. Generator has to be run often. Potentially finishing my solar installation could really change that dynamic though. Hmmm.

You may be right however.

Only difficult part is getting materials to an anchored boat. Nearly impossible. Plus you need a place to park.

Any spots that fit this idea you're having? Could be worth exploring.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:27   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Only difficult part is getting materials to an anchored boat. Nearly impossible. Plus you need a place to park.

Any spots that fit this idea you're having? Could be worth exploring.
Finding a spot to leave a vehicle might be a bit of a challenge, but if you're near somewhere with a town dock, you can bring the boat in there when you need to load any large quantity of stuff or anything big / heavy. Much easier than transferring the big stuff by dinghy, I think.

It also might be possible to rent a dinghy slip (and use of a parking spot) from a local marina and get them to OK bringing the big boat into the gas dock to load / unload stuff off-hours.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:21   #35

I can recommend St. Marys Boat Services in St. Marys, Georgia, right on the Florida border. Great rates and friendly, cooperative management. A short and easy drive to Jacksonville International Airport on I-95. Call Rocky at: (904) 219-2869 and he'll give you the scoop. Good luck with your project.
Sharkbait Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:24   #36

Do let us all know what you decide and which you ruled out and why.

I did like the idea of Guatemala, but the flights are an issue, the language, and

Guatemala has one of the highest rates of violent crime in Latin America and a lot of petty theft/scams to go with it. There’s always the potential for political trouble as well. I have no idea about the rule of law there....if I get in a dispute with the yard or a contractor, I don't want my boat potentially impounded and then be at the mercy of a 3rd world legal system.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:50   #37

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet View Post
Do let us all know what you decide and which you ruled out and why.

I did like the idea of Guatemala, but the flights are an issue, the language, and

Guatemala has one of the highest rates of violent crime in Latin America and a lot of petty theft/scams to go with it. There’s always the potential for political trouble as well. I have no idea about the rule of law there....if I get in a dispute with the yard or a contractor, I don't want my boat potentially impounded and then be at the mercy of a 3rd world legal system.
Just curious, have you spent much time in Guatemala lately ?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 16:36   #38

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Limpet;
Guatemala has one of the highest rates of violent crime in Latin America and a lot of petty theft/scams to go with it. There’s always the potential for political trouble as well. I have no idea about the rule of law there....if I get in a dispute with the yard or a contractor, I don't want my boat potentially impounded and then be at the mercy of a 3rd world legal system. [/QUOTE]

You sound uninformed, the Rio Dulce has a very low crime rate and the boat yards all have armed guards at night. You could loose your unlocked 15hp Yahama outboard some night at anchor, but that is about it. There are so many gringos around, that the language problem is not much of a problem at all.
Oh yeah, almost everybody smiles at you around here too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 16:50   #39

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

It it doesn't have to be in Florida. The St Marys Boat Works is the best place and cheapest to haul your boat and get it worked on. It is located just across the Florida border, just north of Fernandina Beach. The JAX airport is near by.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 18:02   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I'm confused, thought you were up the Hudson somewhere. Back in Florida? Your biggest issue is 25' beam. Same as Thumbs Up. Google earth those travellifts. Change the measure distance increments to feet. Can see how wide ramps are etc. Have you hauled on a trailer yet? Wouldn't wish S. Florida on anyone. We hauled at Broward shipyard (next to Playboy). Rio Dulce a good option to finish but not now due to covid.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 18:07   #41

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

He's in New York, on his Monohull, for the summer. The Cat's in Fl.

I wish I had a suggestion, or solution, but I've got nothing.

Good luck.
Paul.
Old 10-06-2020, 19:04   #42
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Nice ad for the Rio Dulce but the crime rate there is not low by any means.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:04   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I'm confused, thought you were up the Hudson somewhere. Back in Florida? Your biggest issue is 25' beam. Same as Thumbs Up. Google earth those travellifts. Change the measure distance increments to feet. Can see how wide ramps are etc. Have you hauled on a trailer yet? Wouldn't wish S. Florida on anyone. We hauled at Broward shipyard (next to Playboy). Rio Dulce a good option to finish but not now due to covid.
Travelifts aren't an issue. Happy to use a crane or trailer or marine railway. Boat was hauled on a hydraulic trailer the very first time I moved it from where I built it. So yes, trailers are ideal. More safe than travelifts too.

I think for this fall/winter/spring it’s all interior work that needs to be done, or at least on deck work. Nothing below the waterline or on the topsides just yet. I have some exterior work at some point, but it doesn’t need to be for another year or so.

I’ll definitely let everyone know how the selection process goes here. I am especially looking for in water or out of water, non marina type arrangements because the marina storage blows the budget. Just need a parking spot with that.

I’ll be back to Florida (and will have sold the monohull) by fall.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait Steve View Post
I can recommend St. Marys Boat Services in St. Marys, Georgia, right on the Florida border. Great rates and friendly, cooperative management. A short and easy drive to Jacksonville International Airport on I-95. Call Rocky at: (904) 219-2869 and he'll give you the scoop. Good luck with your project.
Checked this one.

$1000 to haul then $500/mo plus electricity.

I'm currently paying $240/mo for a dock, but no electricity in South Florida. Anything like that in Georgia?

My current situation would be a lot better if I had electricity.

Far enough north (which is why I just checked this place in St Mary's) and I won't need electricity. I need a very cool climate so I can wear PPE, including a hazmat suit.

Far enough north and I won't need any air conditioning, therefore won't need any electric hookup.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:22   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have you looked into the cost to have electricity run to the dock?
Just like a house power pole with separate meter, dock owner may not mind.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, refit