Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 18:10   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Ideal cruising setup

Chris,

The term "sails wel"l is obviously relative. I've sailed all of FP range from Fidji, Athena, Bahia, Orana, Helia, Lipari, Salina, L 450, Catana 582 and even a Gunboat..
This is not a rocket science, the slimmer the hulls faster the boat but less is the pay load.(unless you go up to 58-60 ft)
I didn't sail outremer 49 but I assume the problem is the pay load for long passages. That's probably why they extended the length to 52 using the same moulds but simply extending at the aft of the boat. The hulls are so slim that you can put it inside the hulls of Catana of same size. So,in racing conditions, she will be faster but when you start adding yr genset, solars, inverters, extra batteries, washing machine, water maker, etc, Catana of same size could be faster. But if you can afford O5 X , go for it
When equipped for long passages she is faster most of the Lagoons and Leopards of similar size (L 440 can be an exception..) , parity to Helia and slower than Catana's. No hobby horsing, sitting very well on water, no slumming. What else would you expect from 43 ft cat??
My props are 18 inches, they are not as good as other fancy brands when motoring but do the job with 40 HP engines.
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 03:52   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
it s pointless to buy an Outremer with very little pay load. The moment you start loading her, it will be slower than Orana or Lagoon..Yeloya
Spoken like a true FP Salesman.

Live aboard Outremers are amongst the most, if not The most circumnavigated Multi, on a proportional basis, surely some of these people actually carry more than a toothbrush
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 03:58   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Chris,

The term "sails wel"l is obviously relative. I've sailed all of FP range from Fidji, Athena, Bahia, Orana, Helia, Lipari, Salina, L 450, Catana 582 and even a Gunboat..
This is not a rocket science, the slimmer the hulls faster the boat but less is the pay load.(unless you go up to 58-60 ft)
I didn't sail outremer 49 but I assume the problem is the pay load for long passages. That's probably why they extended the length to 52 using the same moulds but simply extending at the aft of the boat. The hulls are so slim that you can put it inside the hulls of Catana of same size. So,in racing conditions, she will be faster but when you start adding yr genset, solars, inverters, extra batteries, washing machine, water maker, etc, Catana of same size could be faster.
You miss the obvious point that it helps if you start with a lighter boat. A Catana 50 is 13.7 tonne declared lightships. The Outremer 51 is 9.9 tonne. Outremer contracts to deliver at that weight or better, I am not sure whether Catana provides a similar contractual outcome.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 05:25   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Spoken like a true FP Salesman.

Live aboard Outremers are amongst the most, if not The most circumnavigated Multi, on a proportional basis, surely some of these people actually carry more than a toothbrush
I believe FP's are good value for money, like Lagoon's. As a matter of fact, these two brands combined, they outsell the rest 1 to 10 or so. Selling less doesn't mean necessarly that the rest is not good, but they are appealing for smaller target audiance.
Talking about Outremers, I have great respect on what they are doing. The brand stand for performance and this performance is compromised when you start loading. In other words, they are more sensible to weight because of their slimmer hulls. That's all I am saying.
I know that there are many people who circumnavigated with Outremers but did they really enjoyed the fast passages that they were promissed ? If so why so many 49 is for sales now ? Why the factory has decided to extend it by 2 ft after relatively short period of time ?

Outremer is lighter than Catana 50 but carries 170 sqm of upwind sail vs. 125 sqm of Outremer 52. Yes, the light displacement is very important, but how much each boat is sinking for every ton of weight you load is even more important. Said this, there are many aspects of Catana that I don't like, starting from exposed helm position..
I did the Atlantic with trade winds averaging 180 nm / day (couple of days exceeding 200 nm mark) and very comfortably with Orana. My next plan is to round the Cape Horn and I think that's a bit too much for Orana, althought an Aussi couple did it couple of years ago with her. I've looked at Outremers and Catanas and for the reasons I mentioned I am leaning towards Catana 50. I have a friend here who owns Outremer 51 # 1 hull and I will try this as well. If I was to make the circumnavigation through Panama, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Orana or Helia.

These are my personal thoughts and you may disagree, but I am not in boat selling business..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising