Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2014, 12:54   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
helm location

I think that one of our major deciding factors when we finally get ready to buy a boat.. is going to be 'where the helm is located'. (most of the boats we are looking at are in the 45' range)

After having been on a ton of boats at Miami.. I realized that I have a BIG problem.. or, perhaps I should say.. a SMALL problem. I'm only 5' tall. Frankly, many of the boats we looked at, provided little to NO visibility for me. The only "helm" I felt TRULY comfortable with was the lagoon 450... I could see EVERYTHING.. But.. there are a couple major problems with that helm as well.. (a) it is impossible to check on the "helmsman" unless you actually climb up to the helm... Can't do a quick check.. which concerns me during rough seas. you could lose your helmsman.. and not even know it... and (b).. the boom is SOOO high.. I couldn't even reach it..

a raised helm.. (like on the Helia) is better than most.. but I certainly can't see all 4 corners of the boat...

Anyone LOVE where their helm is located? or hate it? pluses or minuses? Any suggestions for a "little person" such as myself?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm