Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 21:56   #2746

Boat: Still building
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

I saw that previous post on the Lake Mead Farrier Command 10 and was concerned by the description of the 'mini keel' as it should have a large centreboard, not a mini keel.

Might be why it's still for sale.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 07:08   #2747

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I like the price on the Buccaneer 33/35, but it's clearly set up for raicng,

I saw that boat in person a few months ago. I wouldn't say it's set up for racing but it's not really set up for cruising either. It would be a fine day sailor or minimalist weekender. It does need some TLC.
Old 22-08-2019, 19:55   #2748

Would you say it was value for the money though? Looks pretty cheap for a 33/35 Buccaneer?
Old 23-08-2019, 07:17   #2749

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Buc

Maybe. You would have to get it to a yard and reassemble it and then launch. The builder built this one with one piece aluminum beams. The owner has the original Crowther plans and these were designed to have demountable amas. He cut each beam per the plans and one would need to fabricate the splices. I saw the details for this in the plans which is reassuring. A buyer would incur the costs of trucking it to the yard and fabricating the splice before setting the mast so there will be some boat bucks spent there.

My tri was billed as a Buccaneer/Krakan hybrid whatever that means. I paid more money but it had a new mast and rigging, new outboard and other goodies. It was a solid epoxy built boat with no soft spots and was in the water ready to go. Mine had solid permanent beams but otherwise looked very similar. The seller of the Buc says that all Bucs had aluminum beams so maybe mine was more like a Kraken. Mine was in better shape and as I said this one will need some TLC.
Old 23-08-2019, 17:25   #2750

Yeah, Buccs had alloy beams that slid in/out - demountable, but not something you'd want to do every weekend - more a once a season kind of thing.

Krakens had fixed beams that were slightly raised above the amas so looked like a wing with float attached.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:25   #2751

Here is a 1990 Jim Brown 40ft Tri in St Augustine for $12000! It has everything including a bow thruster.. https://staugustine.craigslist.org/b...gustine-1990-s Go get her! Anyway go to C/L St Augustine search boats -sailboats
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 18:33   #2752

The link in the previous didn't work, so I searched craigslist:staugustine. Hopefully this link is good:
https://staugustine.craigslist.org/b...964979421.html

Text:
Get an incredible deal on an ocean going blue water multihull, ready to launch and sail away - suitable for coastal cruising or Bahamas or Caribbean or wherever. Good condition with new paint and minor repairs in 2016. I love this boat but must part with it due to changing personal circumstances. Professional marine survey completed 2018 places value at $24,000. You can own it for half that price. Federal Coast Guard registration. Currently the boat is on the hard at Windward Marina South, 404 Riberia St., St. Augustine, FL. It must be moved from the boatyard by Nov. 30, 2019 (after hurricane season) as they are discontinuing long term storage.

Searunner 40
Designer Jim Brown and John Marples
Year 1960s (This boat was professionally built in Toronto, Canada in 1990)
Role offshore cruising
Boat
Crew 1-6
Draft 3 ft (0.91 m) (hull) 7 ft (2.1 m) (centerboard)
Type Trimaran
Hull weight 11,000 lb (5,000 kg)
LOA 43 ft (13 m)
Beam 24 ft (7.3 m)
Rig type: Sloop with roller furling genoa
Total sail area 1,000 sq ft (93 m2)

Center cockpit with front and rear cabins. Accommodations include 2 double bunks in front cabin and a queen and single in the rear. Galley, settee and hand sink in the rear cabin. 3 burner propane stove/oven with propane leak sniffer alarm system and 12V propane shut off solenoid. Lots of storage in the main hull and floats. Head and shower in the front. New mainsail and roller furling genoa in 2013 with minimal use. Auxiliary power is a 27hp Yanmar 3GM30F diesel engine. Lewmar 140TT bow thruster installed 2013 which makes docking and marina maneuvering much easier. 55 lb plow anchor with 150 ft of chain and Lewmar windlass. Spare 50 lb Bruce Anchor. Complete engine overhaul 2010 with about 200 hrs since then. Tankage - 30 gallon diesel tank, Racor diesel filter, 60 gallon SS water tank">fresh water tank, 20 gallon black water holding tank. Two high efficiency 225 watt Kyocera solar panels installed 2016 which keeps bank of fiberglass mat batteries charged and gives full off-grid power capability. 6000 watt inverter on board to power anything you wish. 30 amp shore power plug with cables. Electronics include Humminbird 900 Series HD sonar/GPS combo with North America/Bahamas Navionics map chip. 24 inch Humminbird Radar new in 2014. Fixed and portable VHF radios. All electronics in good working order. Steering is hydraulic with a SeaStar helm. With the center cockpit all winches for sailing are accessible from the cockpit. Very safe, comfortable and seaworthy boat. Call to arrange site visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Searunner 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	198721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Searunner 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	198722  

Name:	Searunner 3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	198723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Searunner 4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	198724  

Name:	Searunner 5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	198725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Searunner 6.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	198726  

Old 27-08-2019, 18:40   #2753

Quote:
The link in the previous didn't work, so I searched craigslist:staugustine. Hopefully this link is good:
YES its good!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 10:25   #2754

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:

She is sold. Congrads to the new owner. If you are on this forum, please say hi and let us know of your plans for her.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 17:29   #2755

maybe someone in SE Canada or the NE usa is looking for a road trip, something to hold them over until the right big boat comes along

Seawind 24, NL Canada 5k (3700usd) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/cor...ationFlag=true
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 13:23   #2756

Has anyone sorted out the difficulties of bringing a boat on a trailer into the US from Canada? Last I heard, the trailer is problematic.
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 14:41   #2757

The us customs is clear on requirements for importation of a vehicle (that includes trailers) from Canada to the us. You will need to fill out dot form hs-7 at the border. You will bring that stamped forum with bill of sale and signed Canadian registration/title to your state licensing office & they will give you plates and mail you a usa title for the trailer.

To meet the requirements of hs-7:
-Any trailer 25 years old or more that has legal paperwork in Canada (registration/"title") will be no problem. You would only want to make sure the vin is marked on the trailer or have it engraved etc before showing up at the border (sometimes in Canada the info plate is only a sticker which easily falls off over the years).

-Any trailer newer than 25 years with Canadian registration/title would need to have the correct info plate, "this vehicle meets all us federal motor vehicle safety standards (fmvss) in effect at the time of manufacture" ... Some Canadian made trailers would have the correct info plate/sticker wording (tongue area typically), but many or most would not. "cmvss" is NOT equivalent to "fmvss" although the standards are probably very similar if not the same for all practical purposes on a boat trailer.

You can buy a custom engraved "fmvss"/vin info plate cheap on ebay or amazon etc I believe, although I've never gone that route.

I'm not sure about a trailer in Canada with no paperwork (perhaps pretty common for boats), I imagine there may be a route to use receipts for materials, bill of sale, and/or inspection, etc to get a legal Canadian registration as a "homemade" trailer in some provinces. Of course that may not be a quick or easy process, but I'd imagine it's do-able in some provinces.

If the trailer has never been registered in the states previously, you may have to pay tax (6-8% or something) on the purchase price (minus personal exemption if applicable). On the boat purchase it's self, the duty is, I believe 1.5%. There may not be a title/registration for a recreational Canadian boat (for non commercial boat bill of sale is all that's needed in some or most cases), but you will want a separate bill of sale for the boat & trailer clearly stating price for each. The usa customs offers are confused by the Canadian transfer papers (bill of sale) so I'd suggest print/bring a few copies of bill of sale from your state.

You may find the customs officers themselves have varying degrees of leniency & understanding of the rules, but if your trailer import falls within either of those categories above, it's an easy do it yourself process- no need for a registered importer or anything. If the trailer is under 25 years old with Canadian paperwork but no "fmvss" label, and you want to strictly play by the book, a registered importer might be able to "bring it up to compliance" and charge you quite a bit of money to get it across.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 21:09   #2758

So, what if the trailer is on a flatbed, and is part of the 'boat' being imported, with no intention of registration being applied for (eg yard trailer)...??
Old 09-09-2019, 09:21   #2759

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

1986 Heavenly Twins HT catamaran in Tennessee - Listed on ebay @$9300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133165254375?ul_noapp=true

Quote:
Seller Notes: “This is a 1986 Heavenly Twins HT catamaran, deck is solid with no soft spots. Has two Yamaha 4 cycle outboards, one 20 with trim, on 25 with manual lift, both in excellent shape with low hours. I have started wiring interior, with pics, and needs interior finished with carpet, which is on the boat, or choose your own colors. The main sail is almost new, the roller furling is in good shape. I am listing this boat for a very low starting bid, considering that the 4 cycle motors are worth about 7K alone. This boat could use a top coat, and has a couple of blemishs on it, but absolutely no soft spots on it anywhere. If you are looking for a good sailing catamaran for a reasonable price, you have found it. These are british made, catamarans, one of the few 27, (26'8"), boats to have circumnavigated the globe. You can get more information on Heavenly Twins at Https://sailboatdata.com. I have wired a new 12V DC panel with individual fuses on this boat, just need to finish the wiring on boat.”
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:03   #2760

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
1986 Heavenly Twins HT catamaran in Tennessee - Listed on ebay @$9300

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133165254375?ul_noapp=true

Hah, dig the brown carpet on the interior walls. I always thought they were kinda goofy looking but that central cockpit is nice and apparently they are built like brick sh*t houses and have crossed oceans for decades. Could be a real find for the right person that can do the work themselves. I wonder what it would cost to transport to the west coast?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle