Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 10:45   #91
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Anyone sail a Bene Excess cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
To my eye doesn’t seem particularly fast or close winded. Suspect the outremer wouldn’t stay in the same camera frame for long....

Also doesn’t seem to have enough wind to warrant such a deeply reefed main if any reef at all? I don’t see white caps but then again I wasn’t there.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 13:59   #92

Boat: LAGOON 400

very nice boat movement in choppy seas. Kinda similar to L 400, guess similar hulls.

but how can Excess be branded as performance cruising cats if say Lagoon 400 working sail area/weight is better than Excess 12 Pulse line ?

L400 square top 96m2/10300

Excess 12 pulse line 88.5m2/10300

Looking again, i see now why my wife likes upwind sail. this type of hulls really handle chop well, but you have to back away to keep hulls in water to end up at around 3 kn VMG when bad sea state and enough wind.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 14:29   #93

Boat: Boatless but working on it

The boat is hobby horsing badly and it looks to be about 60-80 degrees off the wind in pretty small chop? Does the L400 do the same?
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 14:46   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
The boat is hobby horsing badly and it looks to be about 60-80 degrees off the wind in pretty small chop? Does the L400 do the same?
we enjoy sailing upwind, it is really nice on L 400 even in bad seas.

I guess it is different concept boat you have, so do not see the quality of movement.
Old 19-05-2021, 16:16   #95

these polars published home excess page. So far I have not seen sailing excess near these polars on any video. Would be really appreciated Benetau released some videos about it to gain credibility.
Old 19-05-2021, 17:15   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
we enjoy sailing upwind, it is really nice on L 400 even in bad seas.

I guess it is different concept boat you have, so do not see the quality of movement.
We also enjoy sailing upwind to a point, a much closer point than that and with a much smoother motion through the chop rather than bouncing over it. Is that a different concept? I see the movement.
That just looks like they have tried to cram way too much boat into that length.
Old 19-05-2021, 19:06   #97

Quote:
We also enjoy sailing upwind to a point, a much closer point than that and with a much smoother motion through the chop rather than bouncing over it. Is that a different concept? I see the movement.
That just looks like they have tried to cram way too much boat into that length.
i guess you need to be in same conditions to judge properly.

Only data i have on this is:
after we crossed to NC - rough passage - spoke to 2 crew members from 2 Seawinds. Both had spent considerable time of trip on toilet. I have to command their positivity though as they looked at it from bright side. Same story with many other boats, actually we found no other boat that had no seasickness, except us. We did not have seasickness on board although my wife is prone to it. So that suggest to me our boat movement is not that bad.
Old 19-05-2021, 19:22   #98

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
38 kn apparent or 38 kn true ?

No rig breakages ?

Excess 11 achieves as per polar 7kn in 8 kn true at 28 apparent wind angle using inside shrouds setup - yet to see that. Sheeting angle is way more than 8 deg.

If that is true then inside shrouds option on L400 that is wider and hence larger sheeting angle should still provide ability to sail around 31 app, i woud hope. What do you think ?
We have a self-tacking jib. On open water passages, we set the autopilot on 30 deg AWA. If we hand steer, you can take it to 28 deg AWA. If water is really flat, wind steady, and you need to pinch but sacrifice some speed, can get as high as 25 deg AWA. All just for reference. And no, I don't take videos of such mundane things.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 19:24   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We have a self-tacking jib. On open water passages, we set the autopilot on 30 deg AWA. If we hand steer, you can take it to 28 deg AWA. If water is really flat, wind steady, and you need to pinch but sacrifice some speed, can get as high as 25 deg AWA. All just for reference. And no, I don't take videos of such mundane things.
And we have very good sails, of very low stretch Dimension Polyant GPL Lite Skin material. Carbon laminate.
Old 19-05-2021, 19:54   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
yep, one should expect such performance from S1160 lite. 6.5T empty vs ours 10 T empty and only 15 % less sail.

What is load carrying capacity of S1160 lite ?
Old 19-05-2021, 20:15   #101

Quote:
i guess you need to be in same conditions to judge properly.

Only data i have on this is:
after we crossed to NC - rough passage - spoke to 2 crew members from 2 Seawinds. Both had spent considerable time of trip on toilet. I have to command their positivity though as they looked at it from bright side. Same story with many other boats, actually we found no other boat that had no seasickness, except us. We did not have seasickness on board although my wife is prone to it. So that suggest to me our boat movement is not that bad.
Well thats great and thanks for sharing. My point was that the motion of the boat we are discussing in this thread doesn’t look crash hot in that video.
Old 19-05-2021, 20:22   #102

Quote:
yep, one should expect such performance from S1160 lite. 6.5T empty vs ours 10 T empty and only 15 % less sail.

What is load carrying capacity of S1160 lite ?
I actually think it's heavier than that, but who knows. Never had it on a scale.

Also don't know load carrying capacity. We cruised ours for five months in 2019, three months of that in Bahamas. We carried food, beer, rum, sodas, clothes, a ton of spare parts, folding bikes, and a 3.4 RIB and 20 hp motor, chain rode and a couple of anchors. We don't travel light, but we still manage to keep the bottom paint exposed! That said, we are only living on the boat for 4-5 months at a time. Otherwise in a house. So not having to carry all of our possessions like a true liveaboard.
Old 19-05-2021, 21:12   #103

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
To my eye doesn’t seem particularly fast or close winded. Suspect the outremer wouldn’t stay in the same camera frame for long....
My first feeling also, yes. I thought 'underpowered'.
Old 19-05-2021, 21:52   #104

Boat: Hanse 531

Another sailing video with some instrument shots as well.

In the first instrument shot, they are doing 6.9 SOG with TWS 13.7 and TWA about 130 (from AWA 100). Mainsail and a code zero up.

In the second, 6.8 SOG, TWS 14.1, TWA 130 (from AWA 101), but there's also the STW at 4.9 knots (!).

Anyway, that's slower than we would do on our current monohull, which is a bit disappointing. I don't know which rig that is, however, the standard or the superfast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 7.00.56.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	238765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 7.01.54.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	238766  

Old 19-05-2021, 22:12   #105

Quote:
Well thats great and thanks for sharing. My point was that the motion of the boat we are discussing in this thread doesn’t look crash hot in that video.
Yeah, agree. And sometimes they associate Excess with 'performance cat' which is find funny after watching these videos. Published polars do suggest excellent sailing boat but reality is different.

Tags
sail