Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 12:01   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Anyone sail a Bene Excess cat?

I am looking for real world comments on how this boat sails, not conjecture. I have sailed FPs, Lagoons, and Seawinds. My 380 sailed great, much better than the newer cats, but lacked the layout and space of the newer models.

I am not sure I like the helm position of the excess, but in reality I am not planning on crossing the ocean, nor even intend to be out in sustained 30+. So this might not really be an issue.

Mostly coastal cruising, but I want ease and performance. Seawind has performance, but not a fan of galley down after having spent 2 weeks on one.

If you have sailed an excess, pls chime in.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 05:57   #2

Boat: Excess 11 Catamaran
Re: Anyone sail a Bene Excess cat?

Hi there!

Disclaimer to start: we bought an Excess 11 but will try to be as neutral as possible.

We also sailed FP 40/45 and 47, Lagoon 40/42 and also own a Dehler38SQ (2020) and Dufour45 Performance.

The short answer to your question is: The Excess 11 is super easy to sail and has better performance than Lagoon/FP for sure. Nautitech comes a bit closer but E11 also wins there in practice. The two helmstations will give you a completely different feeling than a flybridge or raised helmstation. So even when you would be going the same speed; you would think you're doing 2 knots more anyway

We did opt for larger steeringwheels in the back (10 cm diameter) bigger as it gives you a better position when standing. I think the positions aft are actually really save; you're much close the water and can't really be 'thrown' off the top deck. One major advantage we already noticed with the helm position is that you can super easily dock the boat single handed, go backward, use 1 line and push the front against the dock. Really easy and not expected than one.

Two things with the Seawind (note we didn't sail it, only based on YouTube) is the steering wheel location is weird to me, too close the window. The other thing is that the biggest cost of a boat is the depreciation. I personally don't think galley down is the future (at all) so I think it will be hard selling such a boat in years from now. The reasons why people choose a cat is because of the level living area.

Regarding the space; it's insane what they did to the inside; 3 full 2 persons bed; lots of head room etc. Much more than the Nautitech 40 for example.

Btw we're heading to our Excess 11 "Bombarda" next week and will stay on it for the next year. We will start in Les Sables D'Olonne and will sail the Med including the Caribbean. Joining the ARC 2021. Feel free to follow us at @sailingbombarda on Instagram. We're currently adding lithium (900 Ah) and 2200 watts of solar in case you're interested.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Marco - SV Bombarda
marcok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 09:19   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcok View Post
Hi there!

Disclaimer to start: we bought an Excess 11 but will try to be as neutral as possible.

We also sailed FP 40/45 and 47, Lagoon 40/42 and also own a Dehler38SQ (2020) and Dufour45 Performance.

The short answer to your question is: The Excess 11 is super easy to sail and has better performance than Lagoon/FP for sure. Nautitech comes a bit closer but E11 also wins there in practice. The two helmstations will give you a completely different feeling than a flybridge or raised helmstation. So even when you would be going the same speed; you would think you're doing 2 knots more anyway

We did opt for larger steeringwheels in the back (10 cm diameter) bigger as it gives you a better position when standing. I think the positions aft are actually really save; you're much close the water and can't really be 'thrown' off the top deck. One major advantage we already noticed with the helm position is that you can super easily dock the boat single handed, go backward, use 1 line and push the front against the dock. Really easy and not expected than one.

Two things with the Seawind (note we didn't sail it, only based on YouTube) is the steering wheel location is weird to me, too close the window. The other thing is that the biggest cost of a boat is the depreciation. I personally don't think galley down is the future (at all) so I think it will be hard selling such a boat in years from now. The reasons why people choose a cat is because of the level living area.

Regarding the space; it's insane what they did to the inside; 3 full 2 persons bed; lots of head room etc. Much more than the Nautitech 40 for example.

Btw we're heading to our Excess 11 "Bombarda" next week and will stay on it for the next year. We will start in Les Sables D'Olonne and will sail the Med including the Caribbean. Joining the ARC 2021. Feel free to follow us at @sailingbombarda on Instagram. We're currently adding lithium (900 Ah) and 2200 watts of solar in case you're interested.

Marco - SV Bombarda

All Seawind models are backlogged about 5 years, so I’m guessing the galley down isn’t that much of a deal breaker?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:27   #4

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
All Seawind models are backlogged about 5 years, so I’m guessing the galley down isn’t that much of a deal breaker?
I think you are right, but the five-year backlog might be more of an issue
Old 21-04-2021, 10:32   #5
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I think you are right, but the five-year backlog might be more of an issue

I’m guessing the long wait for a new Seawind cat will probably help the resale values?
Old 21-04-2021, 10:56   #6

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’m guessing the long wait for a new Seawind cat will probably help the resale values?
Surely! But it will certainly also be a deal-breaker for some people looking for a new build.

Beautiful boats anyway.
Old 21-04-2021, 11:04   #7

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
I'll note you have never been on one, which is why you might be misguided. The window in front of the steering station is totally removable, if that actually bothers you. Galley down is normally crap on a lot of cats, but the Seawind has very large windows below as well as the galley is open to the saloon via above the cabinets. My wife and I cruise ours, and there is no feeling of being separated. Which ends up leaving a very large saloon and seating above.

I think the backlog on an 1160 is probably closer to two years. The 1370 is the longer at five years, since it is a new model and hasn't been splashed yet.

Finally, your "hard to sell" comment is way off. The 1160 has been in production since 2004. Try to find a used one. That and the fact that they have held their value very well, was reason that I did a new build in 2018. Delivered a year later.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 15:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Ah the old galley down furphy. Here is an article in Multihull World that seems to hit the mark on this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MM2 Galley MHW147 reduced.pdf (635.1 KB, 138 views)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 18:21   #9
smj

Anyone sail a Bene Excess cat?

2 catamarans, equal size.
The Lagoon 38 galley
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	237026
The Seawind 1160 galley

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	237027

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	237028
How does one even wash dishes in the Lagoon galley let alone cook? Maybe works for appetizers and cocktails at a pinch. Of course the Lagoon 38 galley is up and the Seawind 1160 galley is down. This of course makes for a much larger salon in the Seawind.
Old 21-04-2021, 18:32   #10
smj

And the Lagoon salon

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	237029
Seawind salon

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	237030
Think I would suffer with the galley down!
There is of course a size of catamaran where the galley up may start making more sense.
Old 21-04-2021, 19:07   #11

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Ah the old galley down furphy. Here is an article in Multihull World that seems to hit the mark on this issue.

i know this thread is about the bene excess, but must agree 100% with the above article which states the truth very clearly

galley up is one of the greatest furphys sold to cat owners.

we (full time liveaboards) have galley down and neither myself nor the owner would ever swap for galley up

but each to their own is suppose

cheers,
Old 21-04-2021, 19:25   #12

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post

i know this thread is about the bene excess, but must agree 100% with the above article which states the truth very clearly

galley up is one of the greatest furphys sold to cat owners.

we (full time liveaboards) have galley down and neither myself nor the owner would ever swap for galley up

but each to their own is suppose

cheers,
my wife tried both galley up and down. She says galley up wins hands down. i agree.

I only saw motoring Excess 12. It was delivery trip i guess. Looks pretty. Motored okay
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 05:29   #13

Boat: O'day 322

Quote:
Hi there!

Marco - SV Bombarda

Marco, how do you feel about the storage on the 11? We saw it last weekend and liked a lot of what we saw, but interior storage seemed a bit meager. As you're gearing up for full time living, does it feel sufficient?
Oshara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 05:48   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Do you know the author?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 05:53   #15
Marine Service Provider

Maybe take a look at the series of "Sailing Zatara" videos on Youtube. The boss Renee really doesn't enjoy their galley down and generally does not do cooking when underway. She prefers to make food when in port and freezes it for when on passage so she spends less time downstairs. This is on a Privilege 585 model so if you're going to get a smooth ride, it would be on this boat and it's still not a good experience for them.

To add to this, this crew are a very experienced sailing family having sailed across the world twice.

Watching their videos and the way they use their saloon, the designers probably could have gotten away with a galley-up design and put a large lounge / family room down in the hull as a good separate area for teens and their friends.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail