Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 21:46   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: What’s the smallest boat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsrj1 View Post
I should have added....and what would be your ideal size, not just smallest.
Personally my islander Bahama 24 was a great little offshore boat but short on head room.
My current 29 Columbia defender is the perfect solo cruiser for me . She has already circumnavigated before I got her so she is well capable .
Old 29-09-2020, 21:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi I apologize, I saw solo and I mis interpereted. I thought one vessel as in not sailing with others...independent. My bad.
Well, crossings oceans alone...it’s quite dangerous. I feel it’s unethical therefore to recommend a vessel. I mean you certainly have the right to do so but to recommend a vessel would be to endorse the idea...and that, I cannot do.

It is a simple fact. You cannot stand watch alone. Alarms are subject to failure. The risk of collision involves others. If you get in trouble, you will ask others to put their safety on the line to rescue you...because in the end, self preservation is built into humans.

There is no such thing as solo ocean sailing. You are not the only boat, not the only mammal out there. To deny the facts is a narcissistic fantasy.
There is an old Portuguese expression. If you want to learn how to pray...
go to sea.
In the end of the story of Moby Dick, it is Queequeg’s coffin which saves Ishmael’s life. Perhaps you ought to read the book again.

Captain Mark
If you feel that way then why did you even comment on this thread
Old 29-09-2020, 21:58   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
If you feel that way then why did you even comment on this thread
Old 29-09-2020, 23:24   #19

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

smallest suitable for you depends a lot on what stuff you wish to take along with you

if you aim for a back to nature bare bones sort of life, with no frills, then 30' is probably about right

if on the other hand you want some comfort-adding bit's n pieces (ie freezer, oven, watermaker etc etc), you'll need bigger - say 36'

bigger also tends to be able to cover the miles more easily

for myself i'd be looking at 45' as the sweet spot for whether solo or not...but that is not the question you asked.

cheers,
Old 29-09-2020, 23:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
smallest suitable for you depends a lot on what stuff you wish to take along with you

if you aim for a back to nature bare bones sort of life, with no frills, then 30' is probably about right

if on the other hand you want some comfort-adding bit's n pieces (ie freezer, oven, watermaker etc etc), you'll need bigger - say 36'

bigger also tends to be able to cover the miles more easily

for myself i'd be looking at 45' as the sweet spot for whether solo or not...but that is not the question you asked.

cheers,
I have all that on my 29 with lots of room for my comfort . Even have a diesel genset.
Old 30-09-2020, 00:06   #21

Work out how much out food and water you will have to carry and then decide if you need a bigger yacht.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 01:09   #22

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi I apologize, I saw solo and I mis interpereted. I thought one vessel as in not sailing with others...independent. My bad.
Well, crossings oceans alone...it’s quite dangerous. I feel it’s unethical therefore to recommend a vessel. I mean you certainly have the right to do so but to recommend a vessel would be to endorse the idea...and that, I cannot do.

It is a simple fact. You cannot stand watch alone. Alarms are subject to failure. The risk of collision involves others. If you get in trouble, you will ask others to put their safety on the line to rescue you...because in the end, self preservation is built into humans.

There is no such thing as solo ocean sailing. You are not the only boat, not the only mammal out there. To deny the facts is a narcissistic fantasy.
There is an old Portuguese expression. If you want to learn how to pray...
go to sea.
In the end of the story of Moby Dick, it is Queequeg’s coffin which saves Ishmael’s life. Perhaps you ought to read the book again.

Captain Mark

Hahaha. But you have no problem getting into a metal coffin loaded with gasoline and flying down the freeway doing 75 with thousands of cars coming at you head on in the other direction with drivers who are old, drunk, high, half blind and teens looking at their phones?

But you can't recommend a boat to this guy because out in the middle of the ocean he might get hit by another boat if he takes a nap?? Hahaha...
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 02:17   #23

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have all that on my 29 with lots of room for my comfort . Even have a diesel genset.
good oh...i'm pleased for you. just goes to show what is possible. i'm sure the boat sails like a dream and has plenty of room for all the stores needed for trans ocean sailing as well

but that doesn't change my opinion

cheers,
Old 30-09-2020, 03:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If it's no longer about smallest...there's a whole lineup of 27-footers that have circumnavigated: Albergs and the like. You're better off choosing the design you require and looking within those parameters. Full keel stern-hung rudder? That will thin the herd. Affordable? that will thin it further. Fixer upper or not? Comfort level? If your first parameter is smallest for safety and comfort, then as I said 27 seems to be the magic number. Nor'sea 27, Westsail 28, BCC ($$$) would be the safest I can think of, last being best.
Old 30-09-2020, 03:38   #25

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's a good list of small ocean crossers for singlehanders:

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 04:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsrj1 View Post
I should have added....and what would be your ideal size, not just smallest.
So I looked at all of your Yachtworld boats, CT - and as Mike said, they are all over the map in terms of design - and they're all too big for single-handing!

Plus, stay away from the Bristol yawl, unless you'd like to be hanging over the stern in a dark night, sail-handling, go overboard and watch your boat sail away from you. Any configuration that includes leaning out over the water as I'm sailing I avoid like the plague.

That Tartan 33 is lovely and might be a possibilty... if thoroughly set up for single-handing.

Good luck with your search,
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 06:28   #28

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
there's a whole lineup of 27-footers that have circumnavigated... Nor'sea 27, Westsail 28, BCC ($$$) would be the safest I can think of, last being best.
Probably a good all around spec... my secondary "measure" assuming this general style of boat is probably displacement; 5000# being near the smallest and about 10,000# as an upper end. Doesn't have to have a true full-keel, but needs to be able to sit on the keel withput falling on its nose and have a reasonably protected rudder... sailplan all inboard (except for very light weather foresails, perhaps...). My old B24 fits, but would need to double the lowers... Flicka works, as would others, but for me Flicka might be too small... Must be able to fend for itself if the skipper is otherwise indisposed of preoccupied... etc., etc., etc...
Old 30-09-2020, 06:38   #29

Boat: Sold Beneteau 40

What are everyone’s thoughts on Island Packets?
ctsrj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 06:49   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

IP has a good rep.
Maybe you could pin down your actual goals and needs and budget. It's kind of odd to see a Ron Holland design in there with a Falmouth Cutter.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat