Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 11:09   #1

Boat: CL52
Main and mizzen furling options

Hi all,
I am interested in purchasing this boat . But the mainsail boom is about 7 - 8 feet off the deck. The mizzen boom is about the same. I would be using the boat for a lot of weekend trips. Climbing up there seems precarious. In fact, the whole process of climbing up there, working to furl the sails and then wrestle the cover on seems unnecessarily dangerous and extraordinarily time consuming for weekend use. I'm thinking I would more inclined to use the sails more often if I had a half decent furling system for those two sails.

If I was willing to get new sails or modify the existing inventory, what would be my best and/or most cost effective furling system for single/double handed operation?

I have seen external furlers (pro furl) on the masts of sister boats of this model that seem to operate well.
I am wondering what, if any, modifications need to be made to the boom to accommodate that type of external furler.

Are the external furling systems the best product to retrofit for this application? Am on the right track (no pun intended,) or is there a better furling system I could consider.

Thank you for your help.
CB

Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:44   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Main and mizzen furling options

Easiest and cheapest would be to get a stackpack. If you don't mind climbing on top while docked then lazy Jack's and modify your sail covers.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Easiest and cheapest would be to get a stackpack. If you don't mind climbing on top while docked then lazy Jack's and modify your sail covers.

That is an option. Im concerned as to what happens if the sail does not just fall down the tracks in to the stack pack. Also, access to above the booms is non existent on the mizzen and is precarious on the main. I'm hoping for a better solution.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:52   #4

bump...ttt
Old 07-08-2020, 16:29   #5

Boat: Pugh windstar 54 Van De Stadt 57 aluminiun ketch

I would install a behind the mast furler. Not a lot of engineering to do and if you look at behind the mast furling on google it will give you some ideas. People I have spoken to with it say it works well. Some say its not as efficient however you are not racing and if its easy to use the sail you are much more likely to use it. My first boat had hank on sails and now with roller reefing headsails we use the sails much more even on short distances.
Very nice looking boat. What design is it.
south4320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 16:51   #6

Thank you for the advice. I have seen a sistership of the same vintage with an external pro furl system. I think the sails lose a bit of efficiency, but its a motorsailer anyhow. Btw its a cheoy lee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by south4320 View Post
I would install a behind the mast furler. Not a lot of engineering to do and if you look at behind the mast furling on google it will give you some ideas. People I have spoken to with it say it works well. Some say its not as efficient however you are not racing and if its easy to use the sail you are much more likely to use it. My first boat had hank on sails and now with roller reefing headsails we use the sails much more even on short distances.
Very nice looking boat. What design is it.
Old 07-08-2020, 20:00   #7

Boat: Pearson 367

My friends boat is a cheoy lee 63' and he does have in mast furling for the main and mizzen. Probably best to give pro furl and a few other furling shops a call and see if they have an external furling model or if something will need to be fabricated.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:34   #8

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Crikey! That looks like a hefty old boat. As I see it you have a number of options. You say the main boom is 7 to 8 feet above the deck but it doesnt look quite so high off the coachroof. Can't see the mizzen boom so clearly.

Easiest & cheapest is to fit a stackpack with lazyjacks, & also mast steps up to within reach of the boom on both masts. You then fit six reefing lines on the mainsail for 1st, 2nd & 3rd reef. 3 new lines to pull down on the luff, and the 3 separate (existing?) lines for the leech. (You might only need 1 or 2 reefs for the mizzen?)
These lines can run back to the cockpit or be operated at the mast, as you choose. At the mast will mean a lot less friction in the system. Make sure your sail slides are well lubricated (McLube Sailcote) & you can use the 3rd reef line as a downhaul when dropping the sail (or you could fit a downhaul line to the headboard, maybe running within the reef line rings? - that way you could get the sail all the way down while staying on the deck.)
Your stackpack is your built in sail cover, but you still need access to it at the start & end of the weekend so as to zip it up & also fit the bonnet around the mast to cover the front of the sail. Thats what the mast steps are for & hopefully you can reach up to the zip from the coachroof or cockpit seats?

You may choose/need to tie a cord to the zip slider to give extra length to reach it. If you do that, I strongly suggest you fit 2 zips to the stackpack, one for the front half, one for the back half of the stackpack, arranged so that when the sail is UP, the zip sliders & their cords are in the middle of the boom, so there is no chance of them getting caught up in the reefing line when reefing & then pulled right inside the boom (also breaking the zip & maybe jamming the reef line). I wish I had done it that way myself the first time....

2nd option & definitely would be my favourite is to do that as above but also retrofit your sails so they are fully battened, with roller cars on the track. Your sails will drop like venetian blinds - you wont need any downhauls. Dont grab the moving halliard (even if you are wearing gloves.)

Your other options are going to be the most expensive - to retrofit either in-mast or i-boom furling systems. I'm guessing you will also need new sails for either of those options.

Hope that helps.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:07   #9

track (like Harken) with full-length battens on cars, single- or double-line reefing. and a stack pack. it's the only system I know of that will let you reef or furl while running downwind.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:17   #10

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Nice seaworthy vessel. Always liked his designs. Good suggestions already given. Take a look at Bruce Kings wishbone ketch. I think the name was Chanty.
There are so many rig options with two sticks it is worth taking your time and also talking to owners of similar vessels. You might want to put this up on a boat design net . Lot of free professional help.
Happy trails. Mark the manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

If you want to sail (not motor) and actually use sails most if the time, you will do better if you buy different boat.
It is a well built vessel, but not intended to enjoy wind sailing. Any solution proposed above will work only partially.
MHO of course...
Old 08-08-2020, 10:25   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Consider in-boom furling systems for both.

There is the Forespar Leisure Furl and Shaefer Boom Furling systems among others.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:21   #13

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Someone mentioned an in boom system. If that interests you (very expensive) take a look at the current edition of Yachting World. It has an article which critiques the pros and cons.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:58   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by briblack View Post
track (like Harken) with full-length battens on cars, single- or double-line reefing. and a stack pack. it's the only system I know of that will let you reef or furl while running downwind.

Good in-mast furler can be reefed and furled downwind.

However, for the OP, I would second the recommendation of batt cars and stack pack. By far the best option for him.

I have had behind the mast furling and my own personal experience is that it sucks.

I have now Selden in-mast furling and it's very good, with a number of advantages for heavy weather sailing. But it's not an option for the OP, so for sure -- batt cars and stack pack. It's a lovely system.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 20:23   #15

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

You might check out this: Mainsail Reefing Systems — Cruising Design International

I was on a 38 foot steel boat that had one and it worked well, was kind of fun to have the mainsail wrapped up in a minute.

I have thought about one for the Downeaster 38, but have other work that needs to get done first.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling