Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 10:41   #31

Boat: Beneteau
Re: What other sailboats have THIS layout?

Every boat is a compromise. Some of the alternatives mentioned here will not be in your price range. As for the galley I've worked on tugs that have that arrangement and not heard peep about how it didn't work. Some of these boats roll like a log. The other issues can all be resolved if you sell all your earthly possessions and read what all the experts say then go and buy the boat you don't necessarily like.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:50   #32

Boat: Hanse 430e

Hanse, Dehler, Moody. Grand Soliel

All well built and have that layout or close.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:59   #33

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
U shape won't cover your a$$ any better in a sudden roll. Our cap went ballistic from the galley head first on the navigation desk on my last passage from Horta to Dublin. Besides head injury which needed some sewing (we had a sailmaker on board) he broke some ribs too. Later MD denied him from flying home so ferry/train/ferry/train/ferry to get back to Finland
The shape doesn't matter. What matters is a solid cabinetry, bulkhead or wall behind your back. This is where most modern designs fail IMHO..
Did he have the strap across the opening of the U to enclose him in the galley? And he flew over it?

I've cooked in some rough stuff and that strap is a life saver... I just don't see how you can rig a strap on a long straight galley.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:18   #34

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Sleeping in a V berth will get old really quickly imo, especially if you want to live on it. All the comments so far - difficulty making the bed, disturbing your other half getting up in the middle of the night, folding in and out of it ( I'm 6'5" +), disturbed sleep - are true. Our V berth is the storage compartment unless our daughter and family are on board - and it's them who get it. We use our aft cabin but the E-W berth is a pain for the inside person, esp getting up at night. If you're planning to live on it, find something with an island berth in it - forward or aft - you'll both be a lot happier. I constructed an extension to give us a N-S king - we're both sold on it. And it uses standard bedding too. The only thing you wouldn't like about an aft cabin is being tied up to a dock with wind/waves coming from that direction - the constant slapping can be annoying. But at anchor, of course, the boat lies pointed to the wind most of the time so no problem there. My wife would certainly go for the linear galley too. By the way, we're coastal cruisers so it's usually anchorage to anchorage and the open ocean concerns are minimized.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:36   #35

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Nobody has said anything about two heads in this 6 passenger squeeze box.
Now on a more serious note to the original poster.
If you could bump your budget up to $100k you will get some very good recommendations as to actual live aboard vessels vs campers.
What’s on the price tag is not what boats are selling for right now.
Lastly, pay for your own surveyor.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his wide bodied manatee friends.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:43   #36

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We had a Beneteau 40 with this layout. The galley is in the way of all forward and back motion. There is very little storage and one of the cabins is "the garage" until you have too many people sleeping aboard. 6 people on a boat this size is not wonderful. We are happy with out two cabin Beneteau 423.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 12:01   #37

Yes, the Catalina 42 is a perfect example of how the very same boat can have two vastly different layouts down below. If you go to www.catalinayachts.com and go to the archived brochures (you may have to register) you can see the different layouts they produced. Other than the V berth vs. pullman, the key differences are the aft port galley vs. the linear galley.

I have been on both layouts and seen many pictures. To me, the linear is a horrible idea in addition to the reasons explained by far more knowledgeable long distance cruisers than me.

From a visual perception and architectural pov, the linear layout makes the exact same space appear and actually feel inordinately smaller. The saloon is compressed, visually and figuratively. The space that the aft galley is well used for is now a "wall" to a small, useless aft cabin. The aft galley provides tremendous storage, which is all lost, as well as superb engine access on that side of the engine.

Cal boats almost all had linear galleys. My friend's Cal 34 looked half the size of my Catalina 34. Yes, I know it might have been a few inches less beam, but the size and perceptions DO count.

Linear galleys make no sense, IMHO.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 12:01   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I bought an ex charter boat in the Med. She was 8 yrs old, in good working condition. We added solar panels and cruised her as is for 4 months. Yes we replaced the cabin sole eventually and she had a ding in her topsides. But otherwise ready to cruise. The best part is the selection and prices in the Med. The already low asking price in October had dropped 35% by March when our even lower offer was accepted. Hundreds of boats hit the market in October and have to be gone by April when the new ones arrive. Most aren't listed in yachtworld so contacting each company is necessary.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 12:02   #39

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Posted too quickly but was also going to question the 2nd head. Why? Useful on a charter boat where the couples don't really know each other but otherwise 2 heads to clean, two holding tanks (probably) to pump out, and two units to maintain. You'll get a more spacious layout on this size boat with only one head. My wife initially thought she wanted two but is now quite satisfied with one.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 12:15   #40

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

We have a 2 cabin, 1 head version of the layout in post #1. It works very well for us as a coastal cruiser. The cook has no trouble bracing herself between the table and counter as needed underway. We rarely do long passages, but when we do, nobody is preparing elaborate meals. We plan ahead and reheat.

Our next bigger, more $$$ boat will have a layout more like post #27 because the cook hates the U galley layout.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 12:52   #41

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have a Jeanneau SO 44i with the same layout, I mostly day sail solo but we do several weekends a year. I have Never had issue with the galley underway, there a plenty of hand holds to tie into if you need to set your self in front of a stove. I was a chef in a former career, I have never needed to park my self in front of the stove...unless I am making risotto of course.
Many will tell you to stay clear of Former charter sailing vessels. I own one, I have no issue with the price I payed. I would still be doing the work I have done if I bought from a private owner, and I would be paying a lot more for it.
As far as heavy use? I have pushed my vessel harder than anyone who would have chartered it. Because it’s a fairly common layout you should have plenty to choose from.

Good luck
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 13:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post

Our next bigger, more $$$ boat will have a layout more like post #27 because the cook hates the U galley layout.

Understand the chef's preferences.

Would that actually be enough to go to a CC boat? Unless, of course, you like 'em.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 13:42   #43

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Did he have the strap across the opening of the U to enclose him in the galley? And he flew over it?

I've cooked in some rough stuff and that strap is a life saver... I just don't see how you can rig a strap on a long straight galley.
He wasn't working in the galley, just reached after something or put his coffee cup back or something like that.
Concur about the strap when working.

Inline galley, if arranged without "free space" on either side is safe except for pitch poling..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 13:50   #44

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

We have a galley just like that and I agree with Jim that it is potentially dangerous when at sea. Of course one isn't at sea 90% of the time (99%??).

We have a simple clip on wide webbing restraining belt that you can lean back against when on the "wrong" tack. It has never been a problem. Our stove is in an alcove under the cockpit seating and so isn't a danger but with good gimbals and fiddles it has never spilt a drop anyway.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 13:50   #45

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Posted too quickly but was also going to question the 2nd head. Why? Useful on a charter boat where the couples don't really know each other but otherwise 2 heads to clean, two holding tanks (probably) to pump out, and two units to maintain. You'll get a more spacious layout on this size boat with only one head. My wife initially thought she wanted two but is now quite satisfied with one.
For a blue water sailor two heads works if you throw the seat away from the one closer to companionway and make it as a wet locker for the weather gear. When the weather is favourable it's a shower..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat