Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 09:00   #16

Re: What other sailboats have THIS layout?

That forward V berth is a PITA to sleep in as other have mentioned.

What has not been mentioned is that you have to be a gymnast to get into and out of the berth. If two people are sleeping in the berth, it is also hard to get into or out of the berth, without disturbing the other person.

And there is more! The pillows can fall out of the berth when sleeping.

It would be really helpful to have a hand hold over the berth help one get in and out but I have not seen that on the boats I have been on. So simple, so cheap, but never seen.

Those aft staterooms are not likely to have a lot of headroom.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:04   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Dufour has boats in this configuration too.
aisleorwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:09   #18

I dont mind the side galley and had one on a boat I used offshore. Remember, a typical U shaped galley will only help keep you enclosed on one tack, not the other, and the one is the stove! The boat in my Avatar was smarter, it had a U shaped galley that was open forward. The sink was on boat centerline too. Makes a ton of sense but you dont see it much.
That layout, as mentioned, is trying to pack too much in. Do you really need 3 double berths on a 38 ft boat? It makes for a Vberth (my favorite berth) that is short and too far forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ct-44inside.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	225239  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:12   #19

We have this layout (except the forward heads) in our Dufour 365GL. We do not live aboard but have spent up to 6 months in a year cruising.
We often hear the voices that a linear galley is not safe but actually prefer it to our previous boat which had a "corner" galley. When at sea, if it is rough, we find we can site very safely on the seat in front of the galley with feet against the cabinet, back against the table well wedged in. The only problem with this is that items can slide back on the work surface too far a way to reach! Non-slip mats stop this. Of course there is still the risk of hot spillages but that can occur in either arrangement.
The other disadvantage is that sitting down after a meal you do tend to look towards the galley with all its "debris". This tends to force washing up early!
I would also agree that three cabins is for squeezing people in but we simply designate one as a "garage" and store all the extra stuff in there. Whether it is designated a a cabin, lockers, cupboards etc it is still storage space. But ensure you have enough storage on deck for the dirtier stuff in lockers etc.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:17   #20

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I agree with others that this is a coastal cruiser layout not good for overnight passages. I didn't see what the OP intends to do other than live aboard, which you can do just fine coastal cruising....? But yes, the galley is no good for cooking underway. It's too look to use a strap to clip across while cooking like a U or L allows. It also eliminates the port salon berth for use while underway.. you can sleep in the aft cabins when on stbd tack I guess, but you are limited to a crew of 3 then (1on, 2 off). And only 2 if he has a big aft stateroom... unless you have 2 crew sleeping on top of each other. And that assumes you are not using an aft berth like a garage, which is likely to happen.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:22   #21

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay

I would never buy a boat with a forward stateroom. And NEVER a VBerth. Mine has a large aft cabin with a full queen across the beam with two sea berths, one along the starboard side and one along the port side. That allows for stable sleeping environments regardless of tack. As to a galley, I can't imagine an 'open' galley. Two counters with fixtures 36" apart running parallel with lots of fiddles and grab rails, centre ship either to starboard or port and a sunken sole down one step if possible. That allows for contained cleanups when the inevitable happens. Just my take. Fair Winds ....
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:26   #22

Boat: Beneteau 361

We own a 36-ft boat with U-shaped galley and chartered a 45-ft Bavaria with this layout earlier this year. Absolutely hated the linear galley. Very awkward for two (slim) people to cook together as the passage is not wide enough! The center settee is always in the way.
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:27   #23

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
That's the first thing I thought of myself, Jim. I loathe boats with galley layouts like that and would never go to sea in one! Very dangerous. Only takes one unexpected wave to get launched across an open cabin.

And Steely Dancer? That's why they are hard to find - or more frequently found in former Charter boats (as someone said above - but I can't confirm/deny that, as any charter boat I've been on has had a proper galley...)

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
U shape won't cover your a$$ any better in a sudden roll. Our cap went ballistic from the galley head first on the navigation desk on my last passage from Horta to Dublin. Besides head injury which needed some sewing (we had a sailmaker on board) he broke some ribs too. Later MD denied him from flying home so ferry/train/ferry/train/ferry to get back to Finland
The shape doesn't matter. What matters is a solid cabinetry, bulkhead or wall behind your back. This is where most modern designs fail IMHO..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:35   #24

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you are planning passagemaking, that galley arrangement sucks. A U-shaped one where you can wedge yourself into a corner on either tack is safer and far more comfortable to work in.

Jim

Second on this. BTW Many of the twin aft cabin boats just have a simple, removable divider between them.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:39   #25

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
That forward V berth is a PITA to sleep in as other have mentioned.

What has not been mentioned is that you have to be a gymnast to get into and out of the berth. If two people are sleeping in the berth, it is also hard to get into or out of the berth, without disturbing the other person.

And there is more! The pillows can fall out of the berth when sleeping.

It would be really helpful to have a hand hold over the berth help one get in and out but I have not seen that on the boats I have been on. So simple, so cheap, but never seen.

Those aft staterooms are not likely to have a lot of headroom.

Later,
Dan
Older boats have leebords for V-berth to keep everything in place,thou I'm placing tube berths over the V-berths as they do it even better and there's more room for bags and stuff below the tube berth.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dancer View Post
I'm wondering on what other sailboats is this layout commonly found?
X-Yachts X-40 and X-43. Very rarely seen in charter because they were very expensive.
Very good boats.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:41   #27

Boat: Hylas 44

Steely dancer,

What do you think about this alternative layout:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4378.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	225241

This includes all the features you need like linear galley with more counters and centreline sinks. You can also walk standing up everywhere. Finally, you will not be squatting in the cabins.

This is a central cockpit layout
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 09:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you are planning passagemaking, that galley arrangement sucks. A U-shaped one where you can wedge yourself into a corner on either tack is safer and far more comfortable to work in.

Jim

+1, +2, . . . to infinity and beyond.

There be boats that are good resting in their slip in a protected marina, and then there are boats that ride the waves and / or are at anchor or moored.

It is a boat, not a houseboat. Get your mind around it being shipshape. One is not RVing.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:04   #29

Boat: Outbound 46

Another brand of boats that has this layout is GibSea. Moorings has a few in their fleet.

The linear galley is not at all bad underway. The back of the bench by the settee makes a very good brace point.

Regarding the v-birth, there is no rule you have to use it on a passage. We generally don't use our forward berth when underway. The settee will make one decent seaberth, and you have the two aft staterooms. Unless you have a real crowd (no fun on passage), that's plenty of decent places to sleep.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:26   #30

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You are starting at the wrong end if you intend to cruise. That is a great layout for max accommodation in a marina queen but has some serious issues if taken offshore.

No sea berths or means to arrange them
Seating on starboard side only, where will you sit when on the other tack for a few days?
Forward berth is going to be near unusable except in harbour
Why do you need 6 berths?
Where are you going to but stuff? there is no storage for ground tackle sails etc
The galley has nothing to lean against when its rough
Why do you need 2 heads?
My view, this would need a complete refit to turn it into a cruiser and I am betting would probably still no sail well on an ocean crossing. So comes down to what you plan to do, live in a marina, sail oceans, coastal crease and live on the hook, warm seas or cold. Work out those things then pick a boat with the appropriate sailing performance. Accommodation is the last thing to consider.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat