Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Trouble getting in and out of slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Not sure I agree with the garage analogy. The cockpit is much closer to the stern, in most cases, than the driver's seat is to the rear bumper. I have docked 60ft sailboats with the wind astern and acting as a brake and can bring the stern within inches of the dock with absolute control.
Took me decades before I figured this out. The wind will blow the bow off and position the stern to the wind with a sailboat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 13:00   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Thanks. I turn to starboard, but also tie to starboard. Maybe I could try tying up to port and seeing if that help. I guess I think at the point my prop walks to port. If I think about what happens when I get into the slip, once I'm heading into it, and hit reverse to slow down, it seems to always throw the stern to port.

I doubt it matters but I looked it up and I have a three bladed feathering variprop not max prop, but I'm sure they are the same.
I have a few easy to remember rules of thumb regarding prop walk. This is what I try to keep in my aging memory.

Assuming you have a right hand prop, which is very common:

1. I would dock the boat port side to, when possible. This allows you to use the prop walk to pull the stern to the port side dock finger.

2. Reverse in, when possible, or when needed. Most boats are aft cockpit, and this gives you an easy way to gauge distance to the dock etc.

3. When you are trying to pivot your boat, always pivot to starboard (clockwise).

Hope that helps!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 13:50   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Jeep, thanks for the reply. I understand what you are doing now.
My problem is different and probably explains why I couldn't envision the rig. My issue is that the wind is from my starboard side and I am on the windward side of the slip. My bow blows down onto the neighbors boat as soon as I untie the bow and nothing I have found will stop it till I get some way which is too late. If I have help it is ok but often I am trying to do it with my help on board (or by myself) and I am looking for some kind of way to hold that bow up into the wind.
Thinking about taking the bow line back around the middle dock cleat and back up to my helper on deck at midship. She could then draw that line in as we move back till the bow gets to the cleat where she could let go or let it out again till we are mostly out and have way.

Any other ideas other than the long line down the dock or backing in (both of which I am going to try)?
Dan
Dan, jeepbluej's #58 explains how, but you should also consider that the lines work because they control the boat, regardless of wind, unless the wind is excessive, in which case you don't want to leave anyway, right?

Practice with the lines he explained in calm conditions until you fully understand how they work.

Most good texts on boat maneuvering will explain spring lines in more detail, but he's right.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:03   #64

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Remember anything you do with lines will require you to manage the risk of feeding one into the prop if the lines are too long. You do not want to be in a situation where you dare not engage forward gear because there is a line in the water " down there somewhere". The PO used a system of pivoting on a midship springer in their pen and it was impossible to do solo because the length of the line practically guaranteed it would end up in the prop without a second person to haul in the free end as the boat entered the pen.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-09-2015, 15:12   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One more thought -- Every boat turns differently. My sailboat, with a fat fin keel and large skeg-hung rudder pivots pretty much around the keel. When I am doing a slow, tight, turn the bow moves in one direction and the stern moves almost as much in the other direction. I need to keep this in mind as I am turning to go in or out of a slip, or for that matter, when I am trying to pick up a mooring.

And then there's my 27-ft power boat. The tiny rudder has virtually no effect unless the prop is pushing water over it. Going in reverse the rudder effect is inconsequential. Going forward the rudder is useless unless the prop is spinning. The boat has no keel to speak of and the boat pivots up near the bow. Bringing this boat in or out of a slip requires a radically different approach.

Finally, there's my car. The front wheels steer, and the pivot point is probably right over the rear differential. Parking the car is way different than parking either of my boats. But at least at first, I was using my car-steering experience when I was trying to steer the boats. This doesn't work very well.

You need to learn how your boat behaves and your prior experience may be getting in the way. Again, practice!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 19:24   #66

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Normally a sailboat will pivot around it's center and a motor yacht about a third of a way from the bow thus swinging the stern wide.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:42   #67

Boat: J/88

Stu, his explanation works for his situation in which he is on the lee side of the slip. Perhaps I just don't see it, but I cannot imagine how this rig will prevent the bow blowing down from the windward side of the slip into my neighbor on the lee side. Am I wrong?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:38   #68

Boat: Sceptre 41

My boat has severe port prop walk. There are times when the prop walk disappears. I am trying to figure out what causes this to disappear. I was in Alameda the other day backing out of a slip and I was expecting the prop walk to throw me into a power boat. In anticipation of this I release the stern line first and let the stern drift quite a bit to starboard. what do I know but I back out straight as an arrow. I got clear of the power boat and kicked into reverse as I approached a limiting buoy and I figured out what had happen was that there was a strong current running from starboard to port and this is what caused my boat to back straight. Important to know what the current and the wind are doing and to judge their affect on your boat.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 13:28   #69

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You and I have very similar boats, and it is tough even if you master the techniques previously mentioned. One thing I am experimenting with, which should work on your boat too, is oars. Now that the laughter has calmed down, I believe your cockpit can handle 11 footers like mine. Carlisle makes some strong ones that break down. I am trying them just for getting into and out of anchorages and harbors in dead calm. You might be amazed how you can move your boat with them. Some people try sculling, but you can't slow the forward momentum that way. It's worth a thought anyway.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 21:44   #70

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Don you have lots of good ideas.

To settle the question, after giving my boat bottom a good scrubbing, scraping the prop clean, coming into the slip, I definitely have port prop walk in reverse. It even pushed the stern upwind. Glad we cleared that up.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:56   #71

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I'm either getting better or lucky, the last two doc Kings were almost flawless. Your advice was stellar.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:50   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I'm either getting better or lucky, the last two doc Kings were almost flawless. Your advice was stellar.

Careful, the boat gods are always listening!

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:47   #73

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Glad you haven't hit anything expensive yet! Remember, the advice you receive on CF is worth exactly what you paid for it... Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:58   #74

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Congrats on your increasing confidence, northopenbeach! I had a good friend of mine who hated offshore passage making but made a very comfortable living teaching folks how to dock their boats!
Don't despair... You are getting the hang of it by the sound of things. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Stu, his explanation works for his situation in which he is on the lee side of the slip. Perhaps I just don't see it, but I cannot imagine how this rig will prevent the bow blowing down from the windward side of the slip into my neighbor on the lee side. Am I wrong?
Dan, the lines control the boat. As I said before, unless the winds are high, then it will work if you move smartly (i.e., not dead slow) and practice. Doesn't matter which side. The lines control the boat. Practice. Practice in no wind. You'll figure it out.

I have used midship spring lines from no wind to heavy wind off a dock where the wind was pushing me off.

They work.

Practice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote