Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2011, 15:55   #16

Boat: 1990, catalina 30' tall rig
Re: Tayana 42 for sale in Florida

I have been in contact with that seller (Broker) for the last few months. The boat was listed for 20K on sailboats,.com so I called on it. It took him just a short time to contact me back with pics. i told him I could not come down till Dec. and would like to see the boat in person, he told me that he had lots of lookers and that the boat would be gone before I got there. A few week ago I again emailed and he stated that the boat was still for sale but that I had better hurry.Last week i was down in Florida and contacted him again, this time he stated that he had had some work done on the boat and the price was now 35K firm. Lets see, you could not sell the boat at 20K so you RAISE the price? I just bought a sailboat access house in Port Charlotte and a boat broker there, that I spoke with, knows that boat. It has been for sale for YEARS with no success. The dollar cost is the same to fix all old boats, as "parts is parts", go take a good long look, crawl around, in, under, and on top of the boat. When he sent me the email that the price had been raised, I didn't even bother to go see it, good hunting
boatless 4 now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 16:46   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Thanks for the info. I really do think I can do something with this boat if the hull integrity is there. I cant imagine something seriously wrong with the hull though. The engine, i can rebuild myself. the deck... I might need some help with if it needs repaired.

Troy
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 16:59   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Best advice I could give anyone ever, even if doing the work yourself, take what you calculate out to be your rough guesstimate for expenses, then double to triple it.
Even the triple it factor seems to be the more accurate result. I have restored 3 boats, and every single one cost at least 2-3 times what I thought they would even with me doing most of the work. There is no truer statement then pennies = dollars with a larger boat. Even if you think that rebuilding an engine will only cost you 2k in parts, Id say youll end up with 5k in it alone. all the extra little things that break or end up rusted beyone use, or you find were really bad. Not trying to discourage anyone ever, just stating reality. People freak out at huge estimates from boatyards etc but then in the end they spend the same not counting their time and labor.

my 2c for what its worth.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:09   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

20K to fix up a 28K 42' Tayana?
Someone somewhere made a comment about a perverbial hole in the water.
The price of admission can be very high, especially when you start so low.
Now the broker says it's a 35K boat and it might not be there when you get there? Read between the lines, he's doing you a favor. I know it sucks but your effort will be better rewarded by working a little longer at a job that pays, not one that costs.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:09   #20

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmanta
i was hoping to put another 20000 into it. i figured 2000 for a rebuilt or a rebuilt engine. i planned on doing most of the work myself. there is a diy boat far in charlotte that i can do all this in. i do have a few years before we want to go cruising. i just don't see 100000 dollars worth of addition work that needs to be done. I'm not arguing with you, i just need more info.

i just got done sailing a cal 29 down the pacific coast of the baja. plan on sailing up to san carlos on march or may. so i do have another boat. but here in a few years we want to cruise the Carribbean in a tayana 42

thanks
Troy
Hmmm, of course location can affect pricing on nearly everything, but 2k seems a bit low for a rebuild or rebuilt engine. Not sure of the engine size but a rebuilt Yanmar of the 3GM size here in New England run in the 4k range.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:22   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I posted this before. A new or completely rebuilt engine by qualified people costs $200 to $400 per 1 horsepower including removal and replacement and the invariable extras. So a little 50 horse engine will cost you between $10,000 to $20,000. They are really, really, really expensive. Used engines are less but that's because of the unknown factor. Good luck. Bob
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:22   #22

Helmanta,
It sounds like you are already sold but you should print out the first reply and read it aloud ten times in a row. I have been through it now and the real problem is everything you do not see coming. If the engine has rusted it likely means the whole boat was under maintained. This means there are zillions of parts, systems, bits and pieces that you will have to change/replace. The moment you take one old part/system out, most of the other related/linked old parts/systems break, fall apart or are stuck. It than turns out that the original manufacturer went bust 10 yrs ago etc etc. I use mint.com. I know precisely what I spent. Dont buy a project boat unless fixing (instead of sailing) a boat is your thing. And you have the resources to do so. The one on yachtworld looks nice! (no pic of the engine either though.. :-)
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 13:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I saw pictures before it went public.

I just bought a 38 ft well respected cruising cutter, almost new Yanmar, new rigging, sound hull, sound deck. Most extensive survey I ever had done and pronounced sea worthy.

Cosmetically a wreck, needs new paint hull and deck, soft cockpit coring, needs new cushions and covers and lots of teak varnishing. Well under $20,000.00.

In my opinion you will spend hard money, not sweat equity. $65,000.00 plus to refit, and you haven't seen the bottom.

There are deal's out there: you got to travel. I went approx. 6,000 miles looking at boats. Subtract that from your offer.

Good Luck. Don't be impulsive.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 14:07   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Well, look, it's an objective question which needs figures -- I don't think anyone here can tell you without that information whether it's a deal or not.

The Tayana 42 is a nice boat. What is it worth in good condition? And what will it cost to have it professionally brought up to that good condition? Those are the questions you need to ask (even if you plan on doing some of the work yourself).

A repower will cost you around $15k, I would think, maybe more and very unlikely less. It's expensive, but on the other hand, it's great to have a boat with a brand new power plant -- maybe some bonus points for that. There's hardly any point in repowering with an old engine -- all that trouble and expense and all you have is an old engine which may have problems?

Teak decks are very expensive -- easily $15k to $20k for a boat that size. Since teak decks are expendable items -- they gradually wear out over 20 years, more or less (or 10 years in the tropics) -- you will start from zero again with new decks -- a good thing. But you will pay to get there.

What else will it need? Cabinetry? Upholstery? Rewire? Pumps? Sails? Rigging? Electronics? This kind of stuff adds up fast.

You should add it up yourself and see what the total looks like, compared to buying one which is good in the first place. Then -- if that looks good -- you can save yourself more money by doing some of the work yourself.

As others have said, make sure and have a large contingency reserve for the stuff you don't expect -- and it will be there.

Make sure and keep us posted what you finally decide -- we all get vicarious pleasure from others' adventures fixing up old boats.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 15:44   #25

I know the boat. The dorade cowl vents were carried away in a hurricane several years ago, but just in the aft cabin. When I was inside her last year I went thru the cabin sole in the salon. She is FULL of mold and all the wood work will have to come out, be cleaned and reinstalled.
The owner died and she was untouched for years before someone screwed some plywood down over the vent holes. She is a mess and not worth 28K. Try 10.
MustBeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 17:05   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmanta View Post
Thanks for the info. I really do think I can do something with this boat if the hull integrity is there. I cant imagine something seriously wrong with the hull though. The engine, i can rebuild myself. the deck... I might need some help with if it needs repaired.

Troy

My friend...this is just wishful thinking. If the decks are saturated to any extent, give it up! It will make the engine seem like a cake walk. And speaking of engines...$2000???...Dreamer! I just did my own. Although I did not buy the gasket kit from Westerbeke which was $1600 alone! all the parts were $1200 and outside machine work $2000. And yes, I did most of the labor. If the substrate in the decks have soft spots...and I can almost guarantee they do, then plan on $2000 for materials (if you leave the teak off...and you should) and at least 6-9 months of hard itchy labor. So minimize the project in your head all you want. When Borkay said 3-5 years, he wasn't joking. Plan on at least...least...least...$60,000.00. Keep in mind most owners do not off a $100K boat for $28K unless they want to dump a loser.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 18:25   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I agree with everyone that says $60K+ and minimum 3-5 years to get it where your ALMOST satisfied.
I purchased my darling at a price well under market value at the time. She was in sail away condition, and I easily drop $10K the first month I owned her.
So now it's been 9 years of cruise working, and I almost have her where I want her. Starting the new suit of sails this month, and finishing by this time next year, is the goal.
I don't even want to consider what I've paid, when you factor in shipping and import duties for bits and pieces along the way. And I've done all the work myself. But I'd rather be doing this, than picking up the dogs crap every weekend from the back yard.

Just Me.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 18:28   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The problem with teak decks is not replacing the teak but the coring in the deck under because of the thousands of scews that may have caused leaks into the core. Fixing it is not that big a deal for an amateur but is a whole bunch of hours. If you had it professionally done would easily run into the 10s of the thousands $. If the interior has benn flooded and sealed up for years, the plywood in all the furniture and bulkheads could be delaminated and/or rotten. Wiring is probably non tinned automotive wiring whch will be severely corroded and need replacement.
Engine may be the cheapest part of the renovation costing less than $15,000 to have professionally done. The sails may not have suffered in the intervening years but what condition and how many were they to begin with??

In short, it will take a WHOLE BUNCH of time and a not small outlay of money to get the job done. Having built one boat and rehabbed another, you will go WAY over budge. Realistically, triple your estimate of expenses. It may not be so much the cost to rehab the boat but the new toys you'll be buying for it. Electronics, self steering vane, dinghies, refrigeration, and on and on. Unlike Boracay, I actually totalled up my receipts to get my boat ready for the sail to Hawaii. Only spent 4 times what I originally paid for the boat.

Buying a boat cheap and fixing it up is a way to do it paying for it out of pocket as you go along. It is probably not a way to do it cheaper, however. At $28,000, I'd think the boat is grossly overpriced unless the problems are just clean up. Unfortunately, you won't know on the decks till you tear them up and get moisture meters closer to the core. Offer him $15,000 and let him stew on the offer if he doesn't snap it up. There may be a bigger fool out there but I'd be willing to bet there isn't in this market.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 18:38   #29

Boat: Tartan 40
I have some friends who are kicking tires on boats, and every once in a while they find a really cheap boat, or even one for free.
I think if it is a serious cruiser (not a daysailor) you are looking for on a budget you should ignore the outliers. That is, the really expensive ones are out of your budget, but the really cheap ones will end up that way also once you try to fix them up because they are so hopelessly in need.

Read what everyone says here on these threads about fixing up boats. They NEVER expect to get back the cost of their refits in selling the boat, but do it to use the boat. So look for one of these boats where a change in plans force a sale. It may seem more expensive now, but it will be cheaper than investing in new engine, rigging, sails, refrigeration, electronics, lines..... Well, you get the picture.

Unless you love reaming out acres of rotten core. I don't and wouldn't.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 18:43   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I think the engine is the least of your financial worries. As others have pointed out taking on a "re-fit" of a "project boat" can be a real hog on your time and wallet. Not that it isn't ultimately rewarding both in what you learn and the end result of a beautiful boat.

But a very general rule of thumb on a total re-fit is to expect to spend an amount equal to the purchase cost of the boat and as much as double the cost of purchase over and above the purchase.

The main reason for the high cost is you! You know what is needed to re-fit the boat but it typically involves making some "improvements" to things that seem to make sense since you are re-doing the boat anyway. A little extra here, a little extra there and before long you have that box full of invoices/bills/receipts that you are scared to tally up.

The lure of a decent looking main-stream brand boat that only needs some "fixing" is generally too much for most of us and we get sucked into the black hole of the reason "b.o.a.t." is labeled an acronym for "break out another thousand" dollars.

If you can swing a more ready to sail version as some have suggested it would be a lot gentler on your wallet and time schedule - and all the other things listed by Boracay in post #2. Unfortunately for us and fortunately for boat parts makers/dealers we never learn and go ahead and buy the "fixer-upper."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sale