Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 11:45   #31

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Re: Suggestions for a pre-liveaboard boat.

Also, can anyone tell me if a Hunter would fit the bill? I have been generally overlooking them as I have heard from a couple of boat owners that they are not well built. But one these sources was an airline captain with a Catalina! Is this just the typical ford/chevy debate? I would appreciate some insight. I don't PLAN on being hard on the boat, but as a newbie, I'm sure that it might get knocked around a bit as I learn.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Not quite so many available in the USA as in Europe perhaps, but check out the Albin Vega. We bought one to do exactly as you're proposing and then after a couple of years ownership, thought what the hell and used it to go cruising; it was another eight years and with an Atlantic crossing planned before we traded it for a bigger boat.
I have heard a lot of great things about that boat! I have only seen one for sale so far, somewhere up in New England IIRC. The only drawback is headroom in the salon. But that wouldn't be a deal breaker, just a consideration.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:10   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Yes, on fresh water boats, inspect very carefully for blistering. Osmosis happens much easier in fresh water.

Otherwise, I would think most boats you can afford will teach you a lot. Best is probably to go cheap with simple equipment, as little electrics as possible. Then you can concentrate on the sailing instead of the maintenance.

BTW the MacGregor 26 is built for trailering, doubles as a camper
Thanks MartinR. Osmosis is a concern for me. I wouldn't want to mess with the hull at least for a year or so... I want to go sailing, not sanding At least right now. Cheap and simple, got it! I will be storing my camping equipment on the boat, early on, so even a lack of stove won't bother me too much.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:41   #34

@ thomm: (or anyone really).

I like this boat! 1978 Bristol 24 sailboat for sale in Florida . It looks like it would fit the bill, BUT! I am a little suspect of that some of the pics have been photoshopped...

Any insight? Anything in this listing stand out as trouble? I notice it's had a lot of work done very recently. Could that be an indicator that it was hurricane damaged? St Augustine got hit during Irma and Matthew... Just a thought.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:47   #35

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The Mac 26 is definitely a sailboat. It's just not one of the stronger/tougher more seaworthy of sailboats.
I FORMERLY was one of those who considered Mac26 a toyboat only sold to unsuspecting masses who dreamed of boating. That was ten years ago! Since then BY FAR the largest number of boats under sail that I have seen by a wide margin are the MacGregor26's.

Those boats in particular are used and enjoyed. The spiffy Bluewater vessels mostly are in marinas and boatyards. When underway the iron Genny aka engine is running too.

It's the lightweight smaller boats that get used. Mine is just 23' and she's been home for over ten years. Seaweed is also used, often.

The Craigslist ad you showed looked spiffy. If I may toot my own horn, there are many articles on my website regarding buying your first and last boat that you might find of use. Primarily I speak to those who are looking to trawler or powerboat life though.

Good luck Harrison.

And yes, your plan to have an experienced set of eyes look at potential vessels with you is a good idea. Often two sets of eyes can pick up what a single will not. And too the ride back to a restaurant where you and your friend can pick over the boat is often most enlightening.

J.
Old 04-05-2018, 14:33   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I FORMERLY was one of those who considered Mac26 a toyboat only sold to unsuspecting masses who dreamed of boating. That was ten years ago! Since then BY FAR the largest number of boats under sail that I have seen by a wide margin are the MacGregor26's.
You must live in a strange place to observe this phenomenon! Certainly not true in many locations...

And for Harrison: boats like the Mac 26 are IMO rather poor designs to use for sail training . Their hull shape and rig are compromised to allow the huge outboard motors and to have planing performance under power. You will be better served by any number of "normal" sailboats... ones whose design criteria focused on sailing performance alone. The Mac 26 isn't known for its great sailing abilities nor for its strong rig, no matter what the above poster believes.

For a "learner" boat, one that you fully intend to sell onwards in a fairly short time frame, the most important factor is buying a model that is locally popular, for that will make resale easier for you.

And finally, re the trailering aspect: you may be able to negotiate having the PO deliver your purchase to your location. He will likely have been moving her around and have the proper rig to tow her, and you may not. Then, keeping her afloat and selling the trailer are reasonable ideas.

Jim
Old 04-05-2018, 16:02   #37

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You've got some great ideas...you are definitely on the right track!

The Islander 29 mentioned in the OP sounds pretty sweet to me!

One more thing to consider, when thinking about costs...if you have your own (smaller, to start) boat, you will save elsewhere. Yes, there will be costs, but you know all/most of your free time/vacation time will be spent on the boat having a great time. So not wasting money on trips to touristy places, driving and hotel costs, etc. You'll enjoy cooking on your boat, instead of visiting expensive restaurants.

I had a C&C25 when my kids were little. Whatever I spent on that boat, dockage, maintenance, etc... was tiny compared to the cost of say, I dunno, taking them to disneyworld for example. As a cottage it was a tiny cost compared to a land based cottage, without the commute.

What I like best though, about owning/sailing a small boat, is all the adventures you get to go on. It is the stuff of memories. It is the stuff of life. Remember, the smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure. And it might not hurt that your friends, old and new, are going to want to hang with you...the guy with the boat! You just became a lot more interesting!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 19:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
You've got some great ideas...you are definitely on the right track!

The Islander 29 mentioned in the OP sounds pretty sweet to me!

One more thing to consider, when thinking about costs...if you have your own (smaller, to start) boat, you will save elsewhere. Yes, there will be costs, but you know all/most of your free time/vacation time will be spent on the boat having a great time. So not wasting money on trips to touristy places, driving and hotel costs, etc. You'll enjoy cooking on your boat, instead of visiting expensive restaurants.

I had a C&C25 when my kids were little. Whatever I spent on that boat, dockage, maintenance, etc... was tiny compared to the cost of say, I dunno, taking them to disneyworld for example. As a cottage it was a tiny cost compared to a land based cottage, without the commute.

What I like best though, about owning/sailing a small boat, is all the adventures you get to go on. It is the stuff of memories. It is the stuff of life. Remember, the smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure. And it might not hurt that your friends, old and new, are going to want to hang with you...the guy with the boat! You just became a lot more interesting!
My thoughts exactly! Ironically, I have traveled quite a bit, but I don't 'fly' much on vacation much anymore. When I get away from flying around, for a living, the last thing I want to do is deal with friggin' airports!!! lol.

But! Your point is spot on! I DO spend a LOT of money building projects to occupy my time, for instance the 5 months and $2500 I blew, building my little boy a robotic stroller! I did it mostly to learn some basic electronics, but he only rode in it 3 or 4 times, as he got older, he didn't like it. Since it's WAY overpowered, I would never let him take the controls! lol.

So, my creative urge could use some focus and a goal anyway! Having a boat to tinker with would be an additional asset for me. Instead of wasting money building a bunch of stuff that is going to end up in the trash anyway, I could get creative in fixing up my boat... or at the minimum, keeping it running! lol. My little boy is 3 now, and I can't wait to expose him to sailing. I think he will love it! But it may be a while... I would like to build up some skills first. GOD! There is so much to learn beyond the basics, that it may take a while before I feel competent as a skipper!

BTW, that Islander 29 would be the high end of my immediate budget. I would have very little left over to do any immediate work on it. There are also some others I am looking at, a 25' Cape Dory, a 24' Bristol, a 28' Morgan Tiger Cub, etc... all look pretty livable, and [appear] well cared for... for a starter boat. The next tear down, are several Catalina 22's that seem sailable but need a little work. They are in the $2000-$2500 range. But some need to be moved to the ocean, as they are sitting in back yards or on inland lakes

Thanks for the great reply Hamburking!
Old 04-05-2018, 20:22   #41

Thank a bunch scout! I have been eyeing most of these boats. The ALBERG 30 is a new one though. Like I have said, I can immediately afford a boat in the $5000 range. If I were to push that to $6500, that would leave me no wiggle room. I would have to wait to perform any work needed.
Old 04-05-2018, 20:53   #42

These are off the radar screen for me... at least until I start looking for my permanent live aboard...

1977 Pearson 26 sailboat for sale in Florida
this one I want to have a serious look at.

I am trying to stay below $5k for the initial purchase, $6k TOPS. But there are still some interesting boats in that range I am finding!

These are the boats that speak to me so far:

https://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/d...579010848.html
1979 WD Schock Santana 525 sailboat for sale in Florida
1978 Bristol 24 sailboat for sale in Florida
68 Morgan Tiger Cub sloop sailboat for sale in Florida
https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bo...572886337.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...524960263.html

This one is hard to pass up because it is small and inexpensive, and is located VERY close to me! https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/d...570425332.html
Same with this one: https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bo...556075510.html

I am trying not to let this first boat thing spin out of control. If I have to spend more than $10k total to get it ready for sailing, then, I feel that will be detracting from the purpose of buying it... which is to start sailing right away, and prep for a larger live aboard boat in 18-24 months.
Old 04-05-2018, 21:59   #43

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Harrison, every boat harbor has it's share of derelict boats. Harbor master's can sometimes give u valuable leads to find the owner. Many owners give up due to a myriad of reasons. Some of these boats have long beards under the water line. Bird dung an inch thick on the deck. But power wash and some elbow grease and you got a sailboat that might work for ya. Hit up some the harbor masters and walk the docks. It is hard to see how unloved some boats get. Southern Florida has areas just loaded with derelict boats. It is scandalous behavior.

Another source of cheap boats can be gov't auctions. Do search on the web. I saw some pretty nice boats for sale a couple of years ago in a southern Florida location.

I see u already hitting up Craig's list. One of our CF members frequently posts up boats that are cheap and very nicely set up.

You can also go to yacht club meetings and hand out flyers or business cards asking for help finding what u r looking for. So many ways to skin a cat. You seem resourceful and have a good game plan.

I am sure you know that boat size versus boat costs is not a linear function. A 25' boat compared to a 50' boat doesn't equal 2X. It is more like 4x-6x more expensive.

You live in water wonderland most of the year. Don't forget that living on a small boat during steamy season from May- Oct ... with attendant gnarly storm issues is/can be hazardous/ arduous to health.

Centerboard boats and outboards are cheaper to maintain and shallow draft of 1-2 feet lets u get to places the 5-7 footers can only get to with their dingy. Nothing wrong with outboards in small boats. In fact, many prefer it like that.

Wish u luck.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 00:01   #44

Boat: American Boat Works 43

Wing, your plan is very good. The key to making it a successful plan is to buy a boat that doesn't need major repairs.

I strongly and keenly suggest hiring a surveyor - and here is how to get an inexpensive one.

Look on the website of the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors and find a Surveyor Associate, who are the people training to become accredited:

Membership Roster for Florida

All of these Surveyor Associates have much, much more technical training and boat background than you do, and you should be able to talk several of them of them into a basic survey for around $100, if they are located in the same area as the boat you need surveyed. They will be able to locate and identify major issues with any small sailboat in a short amount of time, and save you from purchasing a nightmare. You can also learn much from them.

This will be the best boat bucks you ever spend if they save you from blowing your $5,000 on a piece of crap.
Miz Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:41   #45

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
Excellent point about running aground in a smaller boat, something I hadn't considered.
Hehe, actually I meant "fending off" before crashing into another boat. Sorry, no native speaker here. With a small boat you just push off with your leg, with a larger boat all you can do is getting a fender between your boat and the obstacle.

But yeah, running aground is also a good point. You might even be able to get off by rocking the boat port/starboard by jumping back and forth. And smaller boats have generally less draft.

Couple of secret tricks for single handed docking: Learn how be be adrift in a harbor. Motor to windward, switch to neutral, leave the tiller, drift until getting near some obstacle, motor to windward, ... Use that to prepare lines, fenders, ... Much nicer to do in the sheltered harbor than outside in the chop. And it gives friendly folks time to get curious/gather at the pier to help with your lines. I once had like 10 helping hands at the dock yelling instructions because everybody thought I was in trouble while one old salt was smirking ear to ear.

Ah, another upside on small boats. Larger boats block the wind off while docking leeward of them.

And in case you can't think of a safe way to get into your slip and nobody is around: just dock anywhere possible. In front of the crane, fuel dock, ... If somebody comes by just explain your case and they'll most likely help you or let you stay until you find somebody to help. Most sailors have a soft spot for single handers and everybody appreciates people who hold safety in high regards. If you happen to run into the very few folks scolding you for such actions: just ignore them, they are idiots.

And a book /youtube/vimeo tip: Duncan Wells: Stress free sailing. Plenty of awesome single/short handed techniques.

... and if you're interested in an Albin Vega try driving it backwards before buying. Long Keel + Prop behind Rudder isn't ideal for that.
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, liveaboard