Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2018, 19:46   #1

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Suggestions for a pre-liveaboard boat.

I was lurking in Danvrgs's thread last night, Bluewater cruiser suggestions for newbies(http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-200348.html), and my plans have been a bit, ... revised, ... after reading some of the excellent comments there. I didn't want to hijack that thread with my own questions, so I started this one.

Two of the comments there really grabbed my attentions as brilliant advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Suggestion from a recent ex newbie myself on the way to his second boat: buy something in the best shape you can for an amount of money you can afford to lose without much pain. It is only your first boat and there will be others. First boat is just to learn if sailing and boat ownership is for you and what you like. For the second boat you will then be able to answer this question yourself. Have fun !
AND THIS ONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You could start even smaller, with something like a Catalina 22, zillions available, lots of fun, and you'll meet people with larger boats, that you can take a look at.
Well, I started looking around on craigslist last night, and came across SEVERAL boats, within driving distance of here that I could afford, right now!

One, that I am in love with! is a 1965 islander 29', in mint condition, another great looking boat is a Macgreagor 26D, also in great condition. Both are VERY close by me and I would be able to inspect them personally.

BACKGROUND: As I have mentioned in a couple of other threads of mine, I am new to sailing, and I'm planning on buying a liveaboard boat by late 2019. In the mean time, I am taking my ASA101 & 103 classes later this month. In order to continue sailing and honeing my skills over the next year, I was planning on renting boats frequently so that I could gain skill and proficiency while I was saving for the big boat purchase.

But having looked around on Craigslist, I realize that I could purchase an older 20-30' boat, and afford to keep it in a marina nearby in the Spacecoast area. I think it may be cheaper, in the long run, to buy a boat, than throwing money away, renting several boats, over the next 18 months! Naturally the most affordable boat rentals are smaller, barebones 18 - 20 footers, and they are $150 - $300 per day! If I were to rent a heavier, sea worthy boat, the price goes up significantly! The boats I'm looking at have galley's, so I could take the boat on weekenders, and coastal voyages, something I would not be able to do with local rentals.

So, not only would it be less expensive, AND I could sail as often as I wanted, there are some side benefits to having a smaller boat for me:

1. I could start the downsizing process from my current townhome and spend more and more time on the boat, sort of a gradual transition, without the SHOCK of a one-shot move.

2. I would be able to do a bit of refit, using my own garage (for some things), AND just to play around on the boat, tinkering, to get a feel for it, and see what is required.

3. It would expose me to the sailing community here in the central coast. As it stands, I'm an outsider, looking in. I have no connection to the water from my townhome in Orlando. I think that would help me look for my dream yacht, establish some local connections, and learn the ins and outs of the facilities available, and gain locals insight into sailing the area.

AND FINALLY! Before this becomes a TLDR post, does this sound like a good idea? Or would my little boat turn into a mini-moneypit, and divert funds from my larger boat purchase, ... any more than renting?

I would appreciate your insights into this recent, ... perhaps, impulsive decision of mine.

Thanks to all!

~Harrison.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, liveaboard