Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 08:53   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Suggestions for a pre-liveaboard boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
By mint, I am strictly going on the description provided by owner, and the photos. I will certainly check out the boat before purchase.

I AM curious how boat surveyors work. Do they charge a flat rate? Or is it based on boat size, by the hour? Just curious.

Here is the listing, see what you think. https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bo...572886337.html
Looks like the Owner removed all the stanchions and lifelines........folks are always making changes to older boats so you have to check them carefully and I'm not seeing an anchor on the bow.

It makes it nice when the anchor is stored on the bow when cruising
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:09   #17

Boat: Camano 41

You certainly bring up some good questions for yourself. To put a perspective on all of this, how do you live at home? Latte maker or French press? Convection or regular oven? If you live a sparse life ashore you would do well in that regard on the water, but if you prefer cocktails over beer, you might consider looking to those elements in a boat. Not sure if a MacGregor is a sailboat, does it come with a 40-50hp outboard like a lot do. Ask a lot of questions you can never go wrong with information. I always ask people who went on vacation the same question, 'would you go back?' Same thing with a boat. Do people recommend a brand or model they have owned and loved? A production vessel will always have a resale market, a one off, different question. Good luck.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:23   #18

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think you're definitely on the right track. I would second however the idea of getting a survey since you are completely new to boats, both as a safety factor and a hedge against unforeseen costs. What looks "fine" or "mint" to you may just be cosmetic. There are plenty of boats out there where the finish and varnish and cushions have been immaculately maintained while the mechanicals have been ignored. You don't want to buy a boat for $1000 only to find out that it needs $4000 in unexpected repairs to make safe and usable. Or, if you have an experienced friend have them come along to inspect. Or if you're a member of a sailing club see if there is a member who will help you out. In short, find a way for someone who knows sailboats to have a look at it before you hand over money.
I certainly plan on thoroughly checking out the boat, I have been watching the process of boat survey on YT, including a few seminars, on how to inspect standing riggings (the finger test for loose internal strands and checking for rust where cable is crimped, inspecting all deck hardware, and ensuring pins are properly cottered and in good condition, tap testing the hull, looking for signs of water leaks, inspecting the bilge, sails etc. I think if I were to see anything there that were a warning flag, I would spend a bit of $$$ on a proper survey, or walk away.

Quote:
I tell new boat owners all the time to put off installing new technology until it's really necessary for the simple fact that it's all getting better and cheaper as time passes, particularly in the case of electronics. If you really want to add stuff, look on eBay for a package that has been uninstalled by someone who has to have the latest and greatest. If you can stick with NMEA 2000 stuff it will make your life a LOT easier when installing.

For what you plan on a doing, a handheld VHF and a chart app like Navionics on your smartphone could well be all you need. Honestly when I'm in coastal US waters I use my phone app as much or more than my MFD.
That is great advice as well Suijin! I am planning to take it slow, my intention is to learn SAILING before focusing on gizmos. I also plan on taking further courses as I need them. I want to balance what I need on the boat, such as a depth finder, with nice to haves, like an chart plotter, AIS transciever, etc.

To me, this first boat idea, is more of a learning tool than seeking perfection. I want to learn as much as I can during the entire process, so that I have a better understanding of what I want/need in a larger boat.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56   #19

Boat: Freedom 30

My Wife and I are planning to live aboard in about 5 years.
We bought a Freedom 30 at the beginning of last season and joined a yacht club. we have taken ASA through 105. We also have been racing for over 20 years. several suggestions.
1.Many Yacht clubs have boat share programs where you buy in and can use a boat on a schedule : good while you find out if you like sailing enough.
2. Yacht clubs are full of sailors who love to talk about sailing and share information.
3. Most yacht clubs have racing. If you show up on any race night and hang at the dock and ask who is looking for crew you will find a boat. this is a great way to get time in on the water and learn about boat handling and sail trim. You do not need to be a club member. You will meet some great sailors. Its also a tad addictive.
4, As far as owning a boat: We were both sure that we loved to sail and wanted to make sure we wanted to cruise full time. We spent probably 4 weeks out last year not including day sails and have concluded that this is for us. We bought an old boat that was full of projects and we have spent allot of time and a fair amount of money upgrading and fixing things, but it is a solid boat that we trust and think it is worth investing in. we do not expect to get all the money back we're putting in, but it is more about having a boat we love and trust and are proud of. we are also learning to maintain, repair and install gear and understand systems for later on.
Make sure you really enjoy sailing before you go to the expense of buying a
boat. After that it is a great learning experience for anyone planning to live aboard.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner

If you can afford a boat with a diesel engine, pressure water, a stove and a head, you can start working on her, learning as you go. Get Nigel Calders's "Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual! Since boat ownership is often boat repair and maintenance, don't be afraid to get one that needs *some* work. And think hard about Catalina's - the 22, 25, 27 and 30 are some of the most popular ever built. They have large communities of owners ready to advise, and will sell more easily than some others, as well as being available in virtually every state of repair from wrecks to bristol.
But don't let anyone tell you the Mac 26 isn't a sailboat - some people love them.
rogern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
You certainly bring up some good questions for yourself. To put a perspective on all of this, how do you live at home? Latte maker or French press? Convection or regular oven? If you live a sparse life ashore you would do well in that regard on the water, but if you prefer cocktails over beer, you might consider looking to those elements in a boat. Not sure if a MacGregor is a sailboat, does it come with a 40-50hp outboard like a lot do. Ask a lot of questions you can never go wrong with information. I always ask people who went on vacation the same question, 'would you go back?' Same thing with a boat. Do people recommend a brand or model they have owned and loved? A production vessel will always have a resale market, a one off, different question. Good luck.
Greg, Excellent questions all. I live pretty simply. Standard drip coffee maker, One pot cooking, mostly. I rarely use the oven. I don't do a lot of baking... So I could live with a 2 burner stove and a microwave... and I COULD live without a microwave.

I'm not sure what you mean by 40-50hp, that sounds like a bit overkill in a 26' sailboat, and I have no interest in one-off boats.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:12   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogern View Post
But don't let anyone tell you the Mac 26 isn't a sailboat - some people love them.
The Mac 26 is definitely a sailboat. It's just not one of the stronger/tougher more seaworthy of sailboats.

It is possible to buy a first boat that can also be a first cruising/liveaboard boat even though it is small if the right boat is chosen
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16   #23

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

Quote:
I agree, I have been looking into sailing clubs in Cocoa Beach, Not much to choose from, and Tampa Bay is just too far to drive that often. I feel that renting from Tampa would cause me not to want to go as often, just because I would HATE the drive!

In Cocoa, the choice of boat rentals is pretty much limited to club racers and 22' Catalina's. You only save about $50/ rental on those by joining the club. So that alone is almost not worth joining, and from some places there are drawbridges involved to get out of the lagoon... other than perhaps the social aspect. But their boats are strictly one-day and half-day rentals. You can't keep the boats overnight.

Out of Tampa, there are several boat rental companies, that rent for weekends, But that costs well north of $1000! So really, I see a starter boat as the only REAL option for gaining coastal, overnight and DIY experience.

So even if it turns out to be a little more expensive than the rental option, I think the knowledge I can potentially gain, makes it worth it to me.

Great post, thanks Island Time!

You may want to checkout the Titusville City Marina. Some nice sailing around there, bridge and overnight anchoring near the cape.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqun View Post
We bought a Freedom 30 at the beginning of last season and joined a yacht club. we have taken ASA through 105. We also have been racing for over 20 years. several suggestions.
1.Many Yacht clubs have boat share programs where you buy in and can use a boat on a schedule : good while you find out if you like sailing enough.
2. Yacht clubs are full of sailors who love to talk about sailing and share information.
3. Most yacht clubs have racing. If you show up on any race night and hang at the dock and ask who is looking for crew you will find a boat. this is a great way to get time in on the water and learn about boat handling and sail trim. You do not need to be a club member. You will meet some great sailors. Its also a tad addictive.
4, As far as owning a boat: We were both sure that we loved to sail and wanted to make sure we wanted to cruise full time. We spent probably 4 weeks out last year not including day sails and have concluded that this is for us. We bought an old boat that was full of projects and we have spent allot of time and a fair amount of money upgrading and fixing things, but it is a solid boat that we trust and think it is worth investing in. we do not expect to get all the money back we're putting in, but it is more about having a boat we love and trust and are proud of. we are also learning to maintain, repair and install gear and understand systems for later on.
Make sure you really enjoy sailing before you go to the expense of buying a
boat. After that it is a great learning experience for anyone planning to live aboard.
One of the problems with joining clubs and groups for me is that my days off can vary from month to month. We bid for our schedules the previous month for the current month. It is almost impossible for me to attend, say my Ham radio monthly meeting as it is on the second tuesday of every month. I am usually working on tuesdays. I have tickets to a Bucanneers game in September and I will have to probably pay someone to get that off (long story). But hanging around the marina and taking advantage of spontaneous opportunities that come up... THAT I can do!

I am pretty sure that I will enjoy the sailing lifestyle. I am a bit of a loner, I enjoy being by myself. Plus, it is very difficult for me to plan activities with friend because of my whacky schedule. But that's okay. I have plenty of time off, which I usually spend in my garage tinkering. But in all honesty, I haven't be doing much of that lately because I am renting... can't do much home improvement stuff, and most of the things I have built lately will probably end up in the trash when I leave here. So I have tools but nothing to do. Owning a boat will afford me the opportunity to use my tools (some of which will have to go, I realize). I lived in a 30' 5th wheel for about 5 years and I loved it. I have moved around my entire life, and I honestly, start to get restless when I've been in the same spot for about 3 years. The RV let me move around whenever I got the itch. Commuting to work is just a matter of flying to my base, or picking up trips out of a different base. There are several cities in the Caribbean and along the Atlantic seaboard where I could commute to work. But, for now, baby steps. I would probably not get much farther than the Bahama's to the south and Chesapeake to the north for quite some time. And if I find it all to be too much, I can suspend my plans for a bigger boat, or abandon the lifestyle altogether, and won't have lost much in doing so.

Thanks Jaqun!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The Mac 26 is definitely a sailboat. It's just not one of the stronger/tougher more seaworthy of sailboats.

It is possible to buy a first boat that can also be a first cruising/liveaboard boat even though it is small if the right boat is chosen
Thanks thomm! That is certainly my intention. I would like to get an inexpensive smaller boat that has as much big boat 'feel' as I can get... of course I don't want to get carried away. I want to try and keep my costs to a minimum.

The mac 26d is a trailer sailor. I want to keep it in the water, I have no where to store a trailer boat, and I don't think I would enjoy putting the mast and rigging up every time I want to go sailing! I would want to work out something with the owner for him to either keep the trailer or I would sell it.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like the Owner removed all the stanchions and lifelines........folks are always making changes to older boats so you have to check them carefully and I'm not seeing an anchor on the bow.

It makes it nice when the anchor is stored on the bow when cruising
Thanks thomm, that is a great point! I want lifelines and a bow anchor on a boat! Also, I am getting my listings mixed up. This wasn't the boat that I thought was 'mint' I can't find it now.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogern View Post
If you can afford a boat with a diesel engine, pressure water, a stove and a head, you can start working on her, learning as you go. Get Nigel Calders's "Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual! Since boat ownership is often boat repair and maintenance, don't be afraid to get one that needs *some* work. And think hard about Catalina's - the 22, 25, 27 and 30 are some of the most popular ever built. They have large communities of owners ready to advise, and will sell more easily than some others, as well as being available in virtually every state of repair from wrecks to bristol.
Thanks for reminding me! I had planned on getting that book prior to buying a boat. Now that I am [probably] getting a boat sooner than expected, I will order it from amazon today! I wanted to wait to get the latest addition... As you said there are TONS of Catalina's out there. I would be happy with a 25'. I just haven't found one where I was comfortable with the listing. They have all been on the west coast (where I would have to sail it all the way to the cape, or on inland lakes, where I would have to tow or ship them to the coast. But the resale angle may offset that, and perhaps I could work something out with the seller.

BTW, are there any special considerations I should be aware of, buying a fresh water boat, and moving it to salt water?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26   #28

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqun View Post
We bought a Freedom 30 at the beginning of last season and joined a yacht club. we have taken ASA through 105.
Perfect choice of boat
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27   #29

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Not quite so many available in the USA as in Europe perhaps, but check out the Albin Vega. We bought one to do exactly as you're proposing and then after a couple of years ownership, thought what the hell and used it to go cruising; it was another eight years and with an Atlantic crossing planned before we traded it for a bigger boat.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:35   #30

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
BTW, are there any special considerations I should be aware of, buying a fresh water boat, and moving it to salt water?
Yes, on fresh water boats, inspect very carefully for blistering. Osmosis happens much easier in fresh water.

Otherwise, I would think most boats you can afford will teach you a lot. Best is probably to go cheap with simple equipment, as little electrics as possible. Then you can concentrate on the sailing instead of the maintenance.

BTW the MacGregor 26 is built for trailering, doubles as a camper
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, liveaboard