Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2020, 14:31   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Stern Pulpit Outboard Motor Mount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Lol did the Edson Fairies bring it?
No it’s a matter of when I was working I had enough money to fit out the boat and when your buying watermakers, windlasses, autopilots and Radar’s and other high ticket items, I guess I just didn’t remember what I paid for it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 16:34   #32

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Piece of plastic -- the type they make cutting boards from -- and 3 stainless u bolts. And Bob's your uncle.

As to outboard weight:

I've gone from a 48kg 25hp Mariner to a 27kg 8hp Selva to a 17kg 3.5hp Mercury.

When you balance handling the motor and not breaking your back or falling overboard, against speed and planing ability, handling -- as the years go by -- handling wins more and more and more and to hell with the rest.

Next step will be a Torqueedo, which breaks down into two parts
Presumably you haven't had a 48kg motor on a 12mm piece of cutting board plastic. My outboard is 26kg but would easily snap even 20mm cutting board in busy seas.

As for handling, my tip is to get stronger. Something I learn when overland motorcycling. bikes and gear only get heavier. So the options are take less or get stronger.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 18:06   #33

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

I just, today as a matter of fact, replaced the aging 2x8" that had been u-bolted on there for a decade with a 1.5" bit of starboard it's about 20" long and 9.5" wide – bolted to the bottom rail but at the top rail I routed the curve of the stern rail into the starboard. This allowed me to have just a very little bit above the rail, and the motor mounts actually clamp on below it. Lowers the weight a bit (from a fulcrum perspective). We've got our 125# Yamaha 25HP mounted back there. I beefed up the rail with a strut to the transom. Lowers down to the dink with a 3:1 off the arch. Works a treat.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 22:44   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hey All!
1) Holy smokes!!! Outboard motor mounts are friggin expensive!! What has anybody done to circumvent that?? Is there something you have made??

2) How safe is it to tow the dinghy with the motor tipped in? ( yes yes only in fair weather).

3) what’s the heaviest weight you’d put on a stern rail motor mount?

Thanks
Laura
We have a Beneteau Oceanis 50. When we took delivery of it n 2012, I noted the mounting pad (just across the top rail, was too wobbly for my liking with an Evinrude 6HP 4T motor on it.
I removed that pad and put a new pad on there that straddles the top and bottom pushpit rails. Totally solid now, I would be happy to put a larger motor on there if I had to.

The pads are made from what we call in Australia 'Boatboard. It is the white, textured HDPE sheet that Beneteau and other manufacturers use for this application. Unless you have the equipment, it's easier to get the plastics supplier to do the machining, but basically, just shape up two pieces, and have a half-circle trench cut in both, so that when the two pieces clamp together on the rail, the pad is locked on nicely.

I notice on later model Beneteau's, they now do the same, so I guess they also decided the original arrangement was too flimsy.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 01:29   #35

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanyon View Post
I just, today as a matter of fact, replaced the aging 2x8" that had been u-bolted on there for a decade with a 1.5" bit of starboard it's about 20" long and 9.5" wide – bolted to the bottom rail but at the top rail I routed the curve of the stern rail into the starboard. This allowed me to have just a very little bit above the rail, and the motor mounts actually clamp on below it. Lowers the weight a bit (from a fulcrum perspective). We've got our 125# Yamaha 25HP mounted back there. I beefed up the rail with a strut to the transom. Lowers down to the dink with a 3:1 off the arch. Works a treat.
What is “ starboard”. ( if it’s not the right side of the boat when facing the pointy end? )
And what do you mean: lowers down to the dink with a 3:1 arch?
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 01:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
We have a Beneteau Oceanis 50. When we took delivery of it n 2012, I noted the mounting pad (just across the top rail, was too wobbly for my liking with an Evinrude 6HP 4T motor on it.
I removed that pad and put a new pad on there that straddles the top and bottom pushpit rails. Totally solid now, I would be happy to put a larger motor on there if I had to.

The pads are made from what we call in Australia 'Boatboard. It is the white, textured HDPE sheet that Beneteau and other manufacturers use for this application. Unless you have the equipment, it's easier to get the plastics supplier to do the machining, but basically, just shape up two pieces, and have a half-circle trench cut in both, so that when the two pieces clamp together on the rail, the pad is locked on nicely.

I notice on later model Beneteau's, they now do the same, so I guess they also decided the original arrangement was too flimsy.
Got it! Thank you!!!
Old 18-05-2020, 08:18   #37

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Teak scrap, stainless conduit clamps from McMaster-Carr left over from another project. Adjustable auger bit for OB clamp sockets. Thickness approximates dink transom. No router or table saw needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00406204-072C-4FAE-AFB5-31692275E495.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	215276  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:18   #38

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Teak scrap, stainless conduit clamps from McMaster-Carr left over from another project. Adjustable auger bit for OB clamp sockets. Thickness approximates dink transom. No router or table saw needed.
I'm not sure I would trust those clamps with a large motor.

Quote:
What is “ starboard”. ( if it’s not the right side of the boat when facing the pointy end? )
And what do you mean: lowers down to the dink with a 3:1 arch?
Star board is HDPE plastic sheet that you can get in various dimensions. It's used a lot in the boat world as a wood substitute that will never rot. He lowers the outboard to the dinghy with a 3 to 1 advantage block/tackle setup mounted to his stern arch.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post

Star board is HDPE plastic sheet that you can get in various dimensions. It's used a lot in the boat world as a wood substitute that will never rot. He lowers the outboard to the dinghy with a 3 to 1 advantage block/tackle setup mounted to his stern arch.
Ahhh got it!! Thank you! Just googled it- it’s called that here too! Seems easily obtainable at the local hardware box store. Cool
The block/ tackle set up is our next hurdle!!
We have a 10HP Yamaha motor. I agree- must be extra sturdy!! Hard on the railings too...
Old 18-05-2020, 10:08   #40

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
They are 3/32” thick and take a 1/4” fastener. They hold my dodger hardtop on. They are not the lightweight hardware store ones with which you may be familiar.

Starboard is good stuff but suffers from creep or gradual deformation under load. I prefer not to use it in structural applications.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 22:44   #41

Quote:

OK, so what we call in Australia 'Boatboard'. It is the ideal material for such applications.
Old 19-05-2020, 22:46   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
They are 3/32” thick and take a 1/4” fastener. They hold my dodger hardtop on. They are not the lightweight hardware store ones with which you may be familiar.

Starboard is good stuff but suffers from creep or gradual deformation under load. I prefer not to use it in structural applications.
Hmm - perhaps the version we get in Australia is different then (we call it 'Boatboard'). I suspect ours comes from Europe, and where I have used it it's rock-solid (7 years now)
Old 20-05-2020, 00:10   #43

Is anybody concerned about the stern pulpit holding. Fast? Seems that a motor mounted there for extended periods could really loosen the integrity of it?
Is there a way to reinforce it? Is it stronger than I think?
Old 20-05-2020, 05:11   #44

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Is anybody concerned about the stern pulpit holding. Fast? Seems that a motor mounted there for extended periods could really loosen the integrity of it?

Is there a way to reinforce it? Is it stronger than I think?

I think it’s stronger than you think.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 07:55   #45

Boat: Southerly 57

Mine is 126 lbs. the dinghy is on davits so not a towing issue. I have towed plenty, and learned my lesson having a motor attached. In all but really smooth stuff - don’t do it! I was able to fix that one but it took some time!

I don’t have a stern mount and not sure what I’d do on a major passage. Does anyone know if you can store an outboard horizontally? I have plenty of storage in the transom locker, but it would be easier if I could lay the engine down.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard