Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 08:11   #46

Re: Stern Pulpit Outboard Motor Mount!

Most outboards can be stored horizontally, but you need to check your owners manuals as there are sometimes restrictions as to which side up or down.

If it’s a four stroke the crankcase vent needs to be up, or maybe the carb needs to be run dry, etc.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 08:13   #47

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belezar View Post

Does anyone know if you can store an outboard horizontally?
Four stroke motors usually need to be slightly tilted. Manufacturers recommend storing them resting on the control handle for that purpose. Some new ones can be stored flat. I suppose, it is not an issue at all with the 2-stroke motors.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 11:44   #48

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Is anybody concerned about the stern pulpit holding. Fast? Seems that a motor mounted there for extended periods could really loosen the integrity of it?
Is there a way to reinforce it? Is it stronger than I think?
It is pretty common to have a welder come to the boat and add supports to the railing where needed. Keeping an outboard there in rough weather could stress the railing.

A wooden or plastic bracket (made or purchased) that bolts onto the intersection of a vertical and horizontal rail would be pretty strong, but reinforcement would not hurt.

We kept a 4hp on a pad like that for several years and even towed the dingy and motor at times. But when we got bigger motors we preferred to keep them below deck where there is zero risk of them getting broken loose and the weight distribution in the boat is better. If we tow a dingy now, which is extremely rare, the motor is not on it.

We now keep the outboard in the boson's locker behind the shower in the bow. We raise it with a spin halyard and lower it through the hatch visible in the photo. This is a two person job, but easy. There used to be two outboards on the bracket, a 25hp and a 4hp. Now we have just the 15hp 2-stroke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	132106-Merc on bracket.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	215542  
Old 22-05-2020, 11:57   #49

Depends on size of your rail. We just wrapped a towel around the rail, set the motor on it and tightened the screws.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 12:05   #50

If you have a modern transom it’s best to keep your outboard off the stern pulpit and locate the outboard low down on the transom
The outboard bracket in the picture is on starboard side under the horseshoe bouy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22A45341-A025-4DDC-9AE3-C9BF0C5E8A8B.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	215554  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 13:04   #51

If you have a modern transom it’s best to keep your outboard off the stern pulpit and locate the outboard low down on the transom
The outboard bracket in the picture is on starboard side under the horseshoe bouy
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 13:37   #52

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I've made a panel of two 12mm ply boards fitted both sides of the pipework spanning two horizontal pipes and sandwiching wooden blocks between to form an almost solid panel.

I have a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke, don't know the weight. What I found originally was that the motor tended to twist the boards with the bottom of the leg leaning into the boards. So Mark II has a block against which the leg (gearbox) leans - no more twisting.

Have done a lot of miles including passages with this mount, no problems. Oh, and my pipework is 1". That stuff is a lot stronger than it looks.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 16:10   #53

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I've made a panel of two 12mm ply boards fitted both sides of the pipework spanning two horizontal pipes and sandwiching wooden blocks between to form an almost solid panel.

I have a 15hp Mercury 2-stroke, don't know the weight. What I found originally was that the motor tended to twist the boards with the bottom of the leg leaning into the boards. So Mark II has a block against which the leg (gearbox) leans - no more twisting.

Have done a lot of miles including passages with this mount, no problems. Oh, and my pipework is 1". That stuff is a lot stronger than it looks.
I actually understand / can visualize what you are talking about! Great idea!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 20:36   #54

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Our pushpit has the solar arch integrated into it (removed the original stanchions, and replaced with the 60mm arch tubes), so it is very solid, but as long as the motor is mounted in towards the corner where the pushpit is supported from two directions, it is pretty strong.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 07:00   #55

Boat: Tayana 37

I made ours out of slabs of 1" star board. Our boat is a canoe stern and the pushpit curves outward and slopes downward from horizontal where we wanted the engine to hang. I had to make a custom template to route the curved half-round slots for the rails. The motor is a 9.9 Honda and it weighs about 110lb. so I wanted the bracket to be a strong. Like everything I do, I may have over-built it just a bit....

We made a video of the project here:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outboard mount.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	215618  
1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 07:14   #56

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I bought a teak one at the local boat store for around $40. I was annoyed at the time because they didn't have the cheaper plastic one for $20.
OP, if buying a plastic one is out of your current budget, you can fabricate something like this yourself with a suitable sized spade bit. Bore the holes in a T shape, then cut the entire thing in half. If you can't afford hardwood, coat it with a thin layer of epoxy resin. Or leave it as is, but don't expect it to last long in that case if it is softwood. As to the strength of your stern rail, it should be fine, although that somewhat depends on whether it was installed properly to begin with or not.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:18   #57

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Or, hook it onto the rail with the brackets, rest the foot of it against an upright, with a small plank of wood to prevent damage, and lash the whole thing down. Speaking from experience
Although I have since fabricated a better solution.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:32   #58

Boat: Valiant 40

I have found that with almost all boat kit, if you set up an automated search on eBay that notifies you when an item that meets your parameters pops up, you can eventually get it at a reasonable price. The Edson outboard rail mount is a good example. Not enough prior sales on eBay to give sellers who stumble on one, have no idea what it is, and can't figure out what's it's worth to set a high reserve. I picked mine up for a song. I think I paid more for shipping than for the mount itself.

I keep a fistful of searches going on eBay for stuff I want but is not critical. It all shows up eventually, you just have to be patient.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:33   #59

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I have found that with almost all boat kit, if you set up an automated search on eBay that notifies you when an item that meets your parameters pops up, you can eventually get it at a reasonable price. The Edson outboard rail mount is a good example. Not enough prior sales on eBay to give sellers who stumble on one, have no idea what it is, and can't figure out what's it's worth to set a high reserve. I picked mine up for a song. I think I paid more for shipping than for the mount itself.

I keep a fistful of searches going on eBay for stuff I would like but which is not critical. It shows up eventually.
Hmmmmnn handy tip!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 13:47   #60

Here’s a homemade bracket that’s fairly robust....everything is 1/2” starboard.
And fairly inexpensive too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12C3DC06-50B1-48D5-B340-D4FA9F0DCC51.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	215789  
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard