Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 19:06   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Even on our 27 footer the pole has a bit of weight. I wouldn't hang it on the boom on my boat. Adding kinetic energy to the boom on an accidental gybe could but additional stress on the rigging not to mention improving its ability to sweep crewmembers off the deck.

I am sure it can work out but when reefing and working on the boom I wouldn't want any additional clutter in the way. I like a low stancion mount to keep all extra weight near the deck.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 15:31   #17

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim lee View Post
One real popular option is to stow it along the boom. Many race boats do that 'cause not only is it out of the way, its ready to use too.

-jim lee
I have never, ever, ever seen a race boat with it's spinnaker pole stored along the boom. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I am saying that it isn't real popular, or, in my unqualified opinion, real smart. In fact, short of having it mounted below the waterline or above the first spreaders, I would be struggling to think of a worse place to mount it... but whatever floats your boat, so to speak.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:34   #18

Hi there.

The size of the tritons mast may make the pole look a little goofy mounted on the front. Those side decks are narrow though. could lift it off the ground and clip on in the bow area with the stanchion clips might be a good alternative. I learned not to raft up with boats even with each other when my old triton and a friends smacked diamond stays in a ferry wake a few moons ago. Bent his broke mine, and then I dropped it in the water from the top of the mast trying to bring it down. One bounce on deck then bloop in the drink. Doh

Lived on Hayadori for three years to pay her off in the rent that I didnt pay in New York city. Froze my butt off, but that was the first place I lived after home with mom and dad. Love that boat, I wonder where she is today?

B
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 08:10   #19

Boat: 44 footer
Yahoo! Groups

--- If your Triton was #406, named Hayadori... Looks like she was for sale in 2003.

At this point it sounds like I'll do nothing, except put the pole and spinnaker in storage. Project has been bumped off of page 1 of "The List."
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:58   #20

Re: Spinnaker pole storage.

I have my large spinnaker pole stanchion mounted at the base of the stanchions. It's quick to deply and never gets caught in anything. I fly spinnakers and various headsales etc on my racing/crusing mono. Never had an issue in 5yrs of and several thousand miles. My opinion, the best way to do it.
Scrimma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker