Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 19:25   #1

Boat: 44 footer
Spinnaker pole storage.

Hi guys,

I'd like to store the spinnaker pole on the front of the mast of my triton. The mast already has a couple feet of track and the proper car... but I'm not sure if they are generally hoisted on a halyard, or clipped to a stay.

If you clip one to a stay, how does it come back off? The spring loaded clip seems like it'd be a one way deal...

(I've tried all sorts of deck mounted arrangements, but I have big feet... and pretty tight side decks!)

Thanks!

P.S. Are topping lifts best left tight or loosened while sailing? I just made the connection that my anchor is lashed on deck with the topping lift line... First boat with out a cable clipped on the back stay!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 19:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I have seen the pole hoisted with the spinnaker halyard up the front of the mast, the inner forestay and lower shroud. Ours is laid on deck clipped at the aft end to the starboardf shroud and the forward end is lashed to the pulpit.

I can't imagine what you mean by anchor lashed by topping lift? Are you talking the spinnaker topper or the boom topping lift?

The boom lift should definitely be loose when sailing. There is a possibility that the a tight lift will restrict the boom moving forward.

FWIW - Our spinnaker halyard, topper and downhaul are stored on the pole ring on the mast. Some people don't like the slapping and clip them to the lifelines. I like the sound of the lines gently slapping the mast at anchor. It makes me sleepy....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 19:49   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
On our previous boat we had an endless line which went over a block at the top of the track. The outer end of the pole clipped onto a ring near the base of the mast. We lifted the outer end of the pole with a spin halyard.

Now we have a trimaran so no pole is needed. We have blocks on the end of guys at the forward tips of each ama.

Spinnaker and Barberhaul for Dragonfly 920 Trimaran - Information on folding 9.2m swing wing trimaran built by Quorning Boats Asp - Denmark

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 21:50   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
You can fit a track on the front of the mast that is as long as the spinnaker pole and rig and endless travel system so that you can move the inner end of the pole up and down at will (this is useful for controlling the shape of your spinnaker so is desirable in its own right). You can then hoist the inner end of the pole up the mast until the spinnaker pole is completely vertical, for storage purposes.

FWIW, my boat has a recess in the foredeck that runs fromt he base of the mast to the stem fitting that the spinnaker pole sits in when not in use.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 21:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Normally people have a long enough track on the mast to hoist the mast end of the pole up the mast and hang straight down. The outboard end of the pole is either clipped into a pad eye or spinnaker pole chock at the base of the mast or a pole/mast fitting available from Sparcraft. The Spinnaker pole car is raised and lowered by a set of blocks at top and bottom of track connected with an endless line and cam cleats. Usually it's a two part tackle top and bottom to the car.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:20   #6

Boat: Catalina 30
Does anyone use stanchion mounted pole chocks to store the pole on the stanchions?
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The problem I have found with mast mounted poles is it seems they are always in the way. It's hard to climb the mast with steps. It's hard to get the sail cover on. And a couple other things I can't remember at the moment.

So, I've put mine here (stbd side) and it's doing well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3deck9-007.jpg
Views:	1553
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1945  
Old 09-10-2007, 16:44   #8

Thanks guys!

I'll do some more pondering.

Delmarrey you make a great point. My track doesn't continue above the sail cover... Can see how that would become interesting.

With the endless loop, does the system pull the pole in tight enough that it doesn't bang around under way?
Old 09-10-2007, 17:33   #9

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchaser2304 View Post
Does anyone use stanchion mounted pole chocks to store the pole on the stanchions?
When we bought our boat the pole was stored like so:

One end clamps right to the loop on the stanchion and the other end hangs from the lifeline. It's sat there happily for a couple years now, both sailing and in winter storage.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 17:56   #10

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
One real popular option is to stow it along the boom. Many race boats do that 'cause not only is it out of the way, its ready to use too.

-jim lee
Old 09-10-2007, 19:25   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
Now that you mention the "boom" idea, I remember in one marina a lot of people bought pieces of 4" schedule 40 white PVC pip and cut 6" pieces and mounted a few on the boom to store the pole...forgot all about that.

This is the stanchion mounted pole chocks I found in West Marine..seems like they would work? (hope the image is visible in the post) anyone have these as I was thinking about ordering some...if they are large enough that is

Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 20:38   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On VALIS I sometimes carry a spin pole and a telecsoping whisker pole. One of them is stored on the mast, with the track going up to the lower spreaders (just below the radar). The bottom of the pole clips onto a mounting on the deck, just forward of the mast. The top of the pole is secured to a car that rides on the track. Just below the car is a plastic clip that keeps the pole from rattling (usually). Forespar and Harken make the hardware for this. I was explaining this to someone last year and put up some photos showing the details: Spin Pole Track Details.

The other pole is stowed on deck, using standard fittings.

I looked at stanchion-storage for the poles, but I was worried about snagging the jib and staysail sheets (and asy spin sheets) during tacks. I'm sure that you could work out a decent system to prevent this, but I didn't want to have to deal with it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 21:52   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim lee View Post
One real popular option is to stow it along the boom. Many race boats do that 'cause not only is it out of the way, its ready to use too.

-jim lee

When we used to race our boat we had it stored on chocks on the deck and it was a real pain. When we retired from racing and turned the boat into a cruiser we wanted to clean up the decks and put it up on the boom. Well, "why didn't we do this years ago (*&(^*9##)" . We had a large (easy to aim at) hoop attached along the boom to pass the pole end through and a smaller ring attached at the front of the boom to clip the pole end on to, to secure it. We also pass the pole halyard through the pole end and pull tight to secure the pole and stop it rattling. Also it is ready for a quick, easy launch anytime. Not a detailed photo but it might give you an idea anyway.

Cheers
L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild Thing Xmas New Year 2004-5 050.jpg
Views:	3582
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	1947  
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Spinnaker pole storage:
Nance Underwood Sails and Riggging Forespar Spinnaker Poles
and
Forespar - About Spinnaker Poles at Mauri Pro Sailing Store

We stored our Whisker Poles on the Stanchions.
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54   #15

The on boom system looks a lot easier to rig up!

I think I'll give that a try first, before adding track and all that to the mast!

Tags
spinnaker