Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 00:30   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 15
Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Hi there! I'm so happy to have found this site. It's been a wealth of information so far.

We're shopping for a bluewater cruiser and I hoped you folks might be able to tell me what to keep an eye out for.

Some information about our requirements:
- Ideally ~45ft (+/- 3ft); there are 2 adults, my 10yo son, and our cat
- Two cabin (both need to have a door)
- Currently torn between sloop or ketch, either could work
- Slight preference for stability over speed--we would still like to be able to arrive at our destinations, of course
- Manageable for a couple to sail (perhaps with the assistance of some upgrades--though we don't want to be totally reliant on that)
- Good amount of stowage for food and spare parts/maintenance supplies. We'd like the freedom to explore, and not be always worrying about the next resupply.
- Planning to add a modest watermaker, but would still like to have at least 100g water tank.
- A smaller fuel tank might work out okay? We're not in a hurry to maintain a strict schedule, but obviously don't want to be caught in the wrong area during cyclone/hurricane/typhoon season!

We're hoping to spend around 60-100k on the boat itself, with a solid refitting buffer beyond that. Some we can do ourselves, some we won't attempt (rigging is one that comes to mind).

What makes/models should we keep an eye out for? We're on the west coast (PNW), so makes that are more common out here are especially helpful.

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! We appreciate it.
pillowfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:13   #2
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 21,274
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

If you could be so kind as to include your experience level, and your expected use of the boat, it would help us to make our responses more meaningful to you.

At the price range you are looking at, I'd strongly suggest 35 - 40 ft. This is because it is big enough for 3 of you and the cat, and will be way more affordable if you look at older boats, which you will be doing. Many things are less dear with ongoing costs, the smallest you can deal with.

A sloop is possibly the easiest to sail (though the ketch enthusiasts may disagree). We have sailed sloops and one Solent rigged sloop for the last about 36 years.

The brand of the boat will not be as important as its condition. You want the best vessel for the dollar that you can afford, and keep the cruising kitty intact, and with an emergency fund. You will also need $$ for upgrades, but do try and keep that to a minimum. Good function is the most important value.

Good luck, maybe we'll cross tacks sometime.....

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:13   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 15
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Thanks for your thoughts there! We're looking for a liveaboard, and the 42' sailboat we saw yesterday definitely wouldn't be big enough for our needs--we would've been lucky to fit two weeks worth of food on it. No idea where we would've stored tools or spare parts.

Perhaps that varies from design to design? We definitely want two cabins with doors that shut, and so far I haven't seen any sub 40ft boats that fit the bill there.

The long term goal is to someday circumnavigate, so we'd like to find a boat with which we can feasibly do so, with upgraded rigging and the like.

To be clearer on the financial side: we have 60-100k for a boat; could spend 50k or so to refit it if needed. Additionally, we will substantial savings that we don't plan to touch, and reliable income that should comfortably cover routine maintenance and monthly living expenses (we won't be spending every night at a marina, but that isn't what we want anyway).

My fear is that if we spend 150k on a boat, we'll still end up discovering *it* needs 50k of refitting. We could afford that if we had to, but I'd rather not.

We have some experience sailing; we're taking ASA lessons and getting practice via charters. This'll be the first we buy. We haven't ever crossed an ocean, but we know we love the sea. I grew up on an island and spent my childhood boating miles offshore (and scrubbing decks XD). My partner is a seasoned sea kayaker. So far, my kiddo loves being out as much as I did as a kid.
pillowfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:37   #4
Marine Service Provider
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Posts: 3,100
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

I am a Tartan and Hallberg Rassy fan. Look at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...sy-38-3726473/ or HR42, if you can find one.

And Tartans like this TOCK… but perhaps in better shape https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ketch-3824376/

Smart moves on the lessons! Whatever you get, be sure to have a Delivery Capt, or someone with offshore experience train you on your boat.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profile—
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:50   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Posts: 2,691
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Here are a few links that may help:

Boats.com

https://www.boats.com/boats-for-sale...=united-states


Sail Monohulls 36ft > 40ft | Used Yachts For Sale

https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...lls/36-40ft/17

Sail Monohulls 41ft > 50ft | Used Yachts For Sale

https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...lls/41-50ft/16
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:32   #6
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: At sea in the pacific - 5 years full time blue water cruising
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,548
Images: 1
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowfort View Post
Thanks for your thoughts there! We're looking for a liveaboard, and the 42' sailboat we saw yesterday definitely wouldn't be big enough for our needs--we would've been lucky to fit two weeks worth of food on it. No idea where we would've stored tools or spare parts.

Perhaps that varies from design to design? We definitely want two cabins with doors that shut, and so far I haven't seen any sub 40ft boats that fit the bill there.

The long term goal is to someday circumnavigate, so we'd like to find a boat with which we can feasibly do so, with upgraded rigging and the like.

To be clearer on the financial side: we have 60-100k for a boat; could spend 50k or so to refit it if needed. Additionally, we will substantial savings that we don't plan to touch, and reliable income that should comfortably cover routine maintenance and monthly living expenses (we won't be spending every night at a marina, but that isn't what we want anyway).

My fear is that if we spend 150k on a boat, we'll still end up discovering *it* needs 50k of refitting. We could afford that if we had to, but I'd rather not.

We have some experience sailing; we're taking ASA lessons and getting practice via charters. This'll be the first we buy. We haven't ever crossed an ocean, but we know we love the sea. I grew up on an island and spent my childhood boating miles offshore (and scrubbing decks XD). My partner is a seasoned sea kayaker. So far, my kiddo loves being out as much as I did as a kid.
We have been blue water cruising for the past 5 years on a 40 foot Jeanneau Sun Fast.

If you think you will have problems with stowage on a 42 foot boat - maybe you need to rethink what you will bring.

Boats tend to be expensive on the US west coast - a Beneteau Oceanis or a Jeanneau Sun Odsessy are both good prodution boats and will sail whereever you want to go.

I do think that your estimate of inital outlay is on the low side - unless you get lucky. the $50k for outfitting and upgrades is almost certianly too low - unless you are "go simple - go cheap" persona.

Not to discourage you - but a boat agent this past autumn really wanted to get us to list our boat in Seattle - he said he was sure he could get $200K or more for it.

Capri is in sailaway condition, including new rig, new electronics and new sails - but that is more or less the pricing you will be looking at

By the way - we don't want to sell our boat

good luck
__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:26   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Your budget is scant for the size and unless you find a unicorn, it will likely require a lot of work in that price range.

As for stowage, this is a question of boat layout, planning and practice, rather than just a bigger boat. Some fruits and veggies store best in a net hammock, rather than needing a spot in the cabinetry. You may need to learn to cook with a more limited inventory of pans. Some kitchen things may need to be stored through out the main cabin.

Pay attention to holding tank capacity, unless you are willing and able to switch to a composting toilet (may not be appropriate for 10yo, as they tend to be very tall).
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:32   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Currently in Spain
Boat: Island Packet 420
Posts: 385
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Take a look at Island Packet 40s. There are a few on the market and they are terrific blue water boats, lots of space and quite comfortable. Probably on the higher side of your price range, but most IP owners take very good care of their boats and the retrofit might not be so expensive.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:51   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Beneteau Oceanus 42cc or 44cc. Lots of room, 2 separate cabins and they sail great. If they are too much $$, check out older Passport 40’s.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: So Cal
Posts: 779
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowfort View Post
Hi there! I'm so happy to have found this site. It's been a wealth of information so far.

We're shopping for a bluewater cruiser and I hoped you folks might be able to tell me what to keep an eye out for.

Some information about our requirements:
- Ideally ~45ft (+/- 3ft); there are 2 adults, my 10yo son, and our cat
- Two cabin (both need to have a door)
- Currently torn between sloop or ketch, either could work
- Slight preference for stability over speed--we would still like to be able to arrive at our destinations, of course
- Manageable for a couple to sail (perhaps with the assistance of some upgrades--though we don't want to be totally reliant on that)
- Good amount of stowage for food and spare parts/maintenance supplies. We'd like the freedom to explore, and not be always worrying about the next resupply.
- Planning to add a modest watermaker, but would still like to have at least 100g water tank.
- A smaller fuel tank might work out okay? We're not in a hurry to maintain a strict schedule, but obviously don't want to be caught in the wrong area during cyclone/hurricane/typhoon season!

We're hoping to spend around 60-100k on the boat itself, with a solid refitting buffer beyond that. Some we can do ourselves, some we won't attempt (rigging is one that comes to mind).

What makes/models should we keep an eye out for? We're on the west coast (PNW), so makes that are more common out here are especially helpful.

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! We appreciate it.
It's a basic given that a boat you buy with less refitting needs will cost less in the long run than a cheaper boat that needs more work. If you have a healthy refit budget, some of that might be better spent getting a boat in better shape up front than paying to do that work after purchase. The best refit values are those done by the previous owner. As for good brands on the West Coast, Pacific Seacraft 42' or the Tayana, Vancouver 42' come to mind. Both are large enough for serious cruising but just make sure you get a thorough survey prior to purchase.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Posts: 629
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

As an example of capable older boats, look at the British built Westerly range - say the Oceanlord 41 ft. This one is asking GBP £90,000:
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1358212/

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i...itle=Oceanlord
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 38
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

I would look at a Whitby 42, which would fit your needs on paper pretty well. There are a lot of Whitbys out there, and several are listed currently on Yachtworld.com.
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Posts: 629
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

"The best refit values are those done by the previous owner. "
Very pithy. That is so true it hurts...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:42   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: So Cal
Posts: 779
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am a Tartan and Hallberg Rassy fan. Look at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...sy-38-3726473/ or HR42, if you can find one.

And Tartans like this TOCK… but perhaps in better shape https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ketch-3824376/

Smart moves on the lessons! Whatever you get, be sure to have a Delivery Capt, or someone with offshore experience train you on your boat.
Good luck finding a Hallberg Rassey (any HR) on the west coast. Great boats, but we hardly ever see one out here. You can find Tartans around here.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:45   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal
Boat: Dufour 39 Frers
Posts: 340
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

if you are not in a hurry, you may wait 1 to 2 years and get a brand new bullet proof off-shore sail boat, with modern consideration:
https://www.morganscloud.com/2021/04...-adventure-40/
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, model, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's a good compromise between a Coastal Cruiser and a Bluewater cruiser? jsal General Sailing Forum 53 16-03-2021 21:13
Really Need Advice, Will This Dory Meet Our Needs? nimbex1970 Monohull Sailboats 21 24-11-2014 20:46
Would like to meet some liveaboards in Nuevo Vallarta Marina FamilyCircus Liveaboard's Forum 1 24-01-2013 17:16
New to Cruising - Would Like to Meet Others Mark Cammiade Meets & Greets 3 09-01-2011 12:31
Thoughts Wanted on Sailboat Models for Our Needs MontanaSailor Monohull Sailboats 8 14-10-2010 17:27

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.