Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 14:44   #1

Boat: Lancer 25 Mark V
Need To Replace a Mast

It was a great day de-rigging the '81 Lancer 25 Mark V until the mast broke in two! I'm too embarrassed to tell you how it happened, so please be satisfied with human error and a little forgiveness. I am the former owner of this boat helping (?) the new owner. We are in Colorado and would appreciate information on where to look for a replacement mast. Information and thoughts about mast repair would also be appreciated.
Ron Chalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 18:04   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Need To Replace a Mast

Wish I could help you out there. I am very familiar with human error so I feel your pain. I can recommend some great folks out in Watsonville, CA, Ballenger spars, but that is too far I bet. I'd give them a call anyway for advice, great folks. If the mast is broken in two, or I am guessing fully bent really, best to start looking locally for masts from a similar size boat. Do you by chance have access to a trailer that could handle a 30 foot mast? That could help in case you find a mast somewhere within reasonable driving distance.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 21:45   #3

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chalian View Post
It was a great day de-rigging the '81 Lancer 25 Mark V until the mast broke in two! I'm too embarrassed to tell you how it happened, so please be satisfied with human error and a little forgiveness. I am the former owner of this boat helping (?) the new owner. We are in Colorado and would appreciate information on where to look for a replacement mast. Information and thoughts about mast repair would also be appreciated.

I have a friend with an "extra" mast for a Catalina 22 if it's of any use to you.
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 22:00   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Marinas, boatyards, rigging shops, boat storage yards, boat salvage yards, used gear chandleries: All of these tend to have spars in need of a new home.

But consider too, that many times a damaged mast can be rebuilt, if the damage isn't too terrible. Though on a boat this size it may be cheaper to find a replacement. But rebuilding's an option.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 22:04   #5

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
I have a friend with an "extra" mast for a Catalina 22 if it's of any use to you.

Forgot to mention...he and it are in Arvada.
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:36   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

There are lot's of boats with similar sized masts. hopefully you'll be able to find a local source.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:53   #7

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

Ron -
We bent a mast in our Farr 36 in New Orleans.

After shopping for a replacement, it became clear that Ballenger Spars in California was the best value.
We knew that shipping would be an issue, but we solved that problem by waiting on another over length sailboat to head our way from the west coast. Our new mast was added to the load, and dropped in New Orleans.

One of the other options that you may want to consider is upgrading the mast to carbon fiber. The cost has come down considerably.

Good luck and good sailing!
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:49   #8

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Plenty of used masts on Craigslist. Search different areas. Good luck
foufou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:48   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

friend broke a mast and had it sleeved. welded and strengthened. works fine, now is 6 years later, and he is across dock from me with the same repaired boat.
l cannot even see repair i know is there. i helped re step mast and i am friends with the welder.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 13:06   #10

Boat: Lancer 25 Mark V

Thank you, mates! In addition to the much appreciated information, you are helping to pull me away from the mental/emotional reruns of yesterday's mishap, regain my perspective, and remember those who have suffered so much more these past few months. In spite of it all, we sail on....
Ron Chalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:31   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chalian View Post
Thank you, mates! In addition to the much appreciated information, you are helping to pull me away from the mental/emotional reruns of yesterday's mishap, regain my perspective, and remember those who have suffered so much more these past few months. In spite of it all, we sail on....
Assuming that it folded over somewhere along it's length you could probably repair it with sleeves. It's worth talking to a rigging shop about, although there are probably few in Colorado to choose from and fewer that have the skills and tools to do the job.

As stated there are lots of used masts floating around...the hard part is tracking the right one down. You might start by calling the bigger rigging shops on the west and east coasts. They often have "boneyards" in the back with old masts, and at the very least they could probably point you to other sources.

For transport you can usually get your mast "piggybacked" on a boat transport truck that is carrying a boat by your location.

I have a friend who just found a used mast for his Amel. Had it trucked up from FL piggybacked with a boat being shipped. He's in the process of cutting it down and moving hardware, but it will work perfectly for his needs.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast