Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2022, 14:06   #1

Morgan OI aft cabin Doors??

hello all.. im looking at a few morgan OI and about half of them i noticed don't have aft cabin doors? did they build them with or without doors. and if without, how hard would it be to make and install a door? maybe someone has done it and there is a video? thanks all..
cdarbonne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2022, 14:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Morgan OI aft cabin Doors??

You may be looking at Morgan Out Islands that are 36', 41' or 51' models or those with a walk through below decks from the forward cabin or those that only have access to the aft cabin via the cockpit (walk-overs). In addition, there are changes in models over the years and different options of layouts such as the galley aft in the main cabin or along the side of the main cabin. More recent models than the original Morgans were built by Catalina and they differ too. All these may have different doors.

If your looking at designing a privacy separation below decks, I would consider a curtain or a light "accordian" door with a latch. If you do design a solid door I would suggest leaving an open space at the top and bottom of the door to allow ventilation. Aft cabins are often poorly ventilated.
Old 13-10-2022, 14:28   #3

thanks hudson.. yes the aft cabin 41's mostly been looking at.. love the boats.. and some have them and some don't.. i figured that has to be away of making a door there for privacy, will be cruising with wife and three girls.. and yes would plan on space at top and bottom for sure..
Old 14-10-2022, 04:30   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I was just at an exotic wood store. It was like candy.
Had everything to make a nice laminate and the door hardware to match existing. Drapes with cloth screens seem worse for ventilation. There are wood nuts out there to match the wood. It’s like they know every plank of wood in inventory. Most of their business is musical instruments. The biggest laminate door manufacture is called Ringi in Germany. I’ve never seen anything but commercial doors UL fire rated stuff. Their frames are sandwich and door frame are pre hung. They are made like a marine door
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 04:32   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Sorry Ringo Doors
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 04:47   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Later Morgan OI 41's with the walk through have the privacy door typically at the at bulkhead at the aft end of the nav station (forward end of the walk through) its a small door and in my boat never got used, so I just removed it permanently. OI "classics" had this door at the aft end of the walk through. It's a relatively small door with a slant cut off one side to make it fit. For me, even locked open it just got in the way.

Not difficult to make. It was originally just a slab of plywood with Formica on both sides.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 08:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Later Morgan OI 41's with the walk through have the privacy door typically at the at bulkhead at the aft end of the nav station (forward end of the walk through) its a small door and in my boat never got used, so I just removed it permanently. OI "classics" had this door at the aft end of the walk through. It's a relatively small door with a slant cut off one side to make it fit. For me, even locked open it just got in the way.

Not difficult to make. It was originally just a slab of plywood with Formica on both sides.
right on thank you.. Im ok with wood work(not great) but seems easy enough i would think..

Tags
cabin, morgan