Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2020, 21:32   #1

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
New design for cabin doors on Gulf 32

It was about time I did something to upgrade the cabin doors on my beloved Gulf 32 as the stock doors always looked bad, in my opinion, and leak if you get rain on them. Many Gulf 32's don't have good dodgers, and I wonder what those people do about the leaking doors? Seems like you'd have to caulk them and that would look bad if you weren't a magician with caulk. We have a nice dodger, and only when I am in a slip with my stern facing south (our storm direction here in the Salish Sea) do I get driven rain on the doors, in which case water weeps around the acrylic and wood frame into the cabin.

So between needing to varnish them again, never liking the dark acrylic originally installed, and the leaking, it was time to do an upgrade. I bought some 3/8" clear acrylic and decided to bolt the new acrylic onto the doors after cutting out the old acrylic and the unattractive western bar style wood frame that held it. I put some silicone on the face of the new clear acrylic that would be bolted against the door, and it is watertight.

If you'd like to see pictures and learn more about how I did it, my blog has both and as always, it is a non-ad and non-revenue generating site I've used forever to help fellow Gulf owners. https://gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/20...bin-doors.html

Tags
cabin