Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 17:33   #1

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Make Your Next Voyage a Humanitarian Mission Like the Historic Vessel 'Vega'

Just thought I would post these links to our blog at sailvega | 118 year old sailing vessel for humanitarian relief and website at Historical Vessel VEGA More as an incentive for other boat owners to start making humanitarian use of their voyages. We have loads of lists of things needed by people from small isolated island communities that we would be happy to share should you want to make your next voyage more than just sight seeing.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 17:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
if it will pay for my refit im up for it,20meter expedition yacht
rgds atoll
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 17:42   #3

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
What a fantastic idea, well done to you for the great work you're doing. I can't see myself being in that part of the world for a while but when I am, I would love to be able to give something back to those comunities.
Old 21-12-2010, 17:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

British hero sailor saves 24 starving islanders during voyage to Australia... and the name's Mr Bond

By Daily Mail Reporter
Created 2:40 PM on 10th May 2010
A British sailor came to the rescue of a group of 'desperate and starving' islanders after chancing upon them on his way to Australia, the coastguard said today.
Alex Bond, from Penryn, Cornwall, docked the yacht Mary Powell at Kanton Island - an atoll between Hawaii and Fiji - where he was met by extraordinary scenes.
Mr Bond, 46, who was delivering the 10-metre yacht from Hawaii, found the island's 14 adults and 10 children had been given no supplies for several months. The ship due to bring them was stuck nearby.

Sailor Alex Bond, pictured here with his partner Sonia Balfou, saved a group of islanders from starving to death after discovering them on his way to Australia

He contacted Falmouth Coastguard for help, who in turn called their American counterparts and the Honolulu authorities to arrange a drop-off.
In the meantime he gave the islanders - who had been surviving on coconuts and fish - anything he could spare.

More...
A Falmouth coastguard spokesman said today: 'When the British sailor arrived, he was was met by the desperate and starving islanders who had not been delivered any supplies for months.

Remote: He found them on Kanton Island, an atoll between Hawaii and Fiji

'The supply ship which should have brought them provisions was stuck at a nearby island. They had been living off just coconuts and any fish that they could catch for months.'
The coastguard said there was no way of knowing who would have found the starving population, had not Mr Bond stopped off on there.
Richard Williams, Falmouth's Watch Assistant said: 'The British sailor has given the islanders all the supplies that he can spare from his 33 foot yacht.

'We are now working with the Americans to drop supplies or land on the island. As the island was used by the Americans and the British during the war it does have a run way.

It is the largest, northernmost and sole inhabited island of the Phoenix Islands, in the Republic of Kiribati, located in the South Pacific Ocean between Fiji and Hawaii

'We don't normally get requests like these from British sailors, but hopefully we will be able to help the islanders to get the supplies that they need.

'So far, we have been given a shopping list of provisions such as cooking fat, rice, sugar and flour which we have passed on to the Americans.'
As well as being a delivery skipper, Mr Bond is reported to have worked for the disaster relief charity, ShelterBox, based in Cornwall.

Life saver: Mr Bond, right, gave the desperate islanders any supplies he could before contacting the authorities

| Mail Online
Old 21-12-2010, 17:59   #5

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Fantastic work Alex And Mary This is what It is all about

These are exactly the type of people we on Vega are helping and trying to interest more yachts in helping. We (the sailing community) sail these routes all the time and we have the means to help out. It is only a matter of getting together and doing it. One by one we can make a difference. We have lists of what is needed and what is useful also what is not so just ask us. I have put this place on our list and will be passing it along to anyone going that way. Again great work Alex and Mary.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 18:24   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hey were you guys in langkawi during the tsunami,think we may have met?
Old 21-12-2010, 18:34   #7

Boat: Hunter 33' "Redbeard"
I have been considering a similar idea, it isnt as "direct" as delivering food to starving islanders but I feel it is a unique idea full time cruisers could use to do their part, The back round of this story was that for the past 3 years i had been planning a circumnavigation with one of my best friends that I grew up with, while working on a farm for the summer in hawaii 18 months ago he passed out in the field and was found to have a walnut sized tumor in the center of his brain (at 23 years old), he remained in a coma and was transported home to maryland for his final few months, the passing of such a dear friend was terrible in itself but i also lost my partner on this voyage, he wouldn't want the trip canceled so although delayed the trip planning still progresses, I hope to raise money for brain cancer in his name in much the same way people raise money by running marathons or jumping rope (people pledge to give so much per mile), I hope to have a website in which people can "pledge" and send the money directly to the american cancer society (less redtape and responsibilty while abroad) I have contacted the ACS and they said they would be very willing to have someone oversee the finacial side of it while im gone.....trip is still a ways out but I think its a pretty cool way cruisers could raise money doing what they love

PS- He is also the namesake of the boat ("redbeard"), fairly evident in the attached photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andrew.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	22159  
Old 21-12-2010, 18:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

all this stuff needs is organisation,currently do fund raising for www.shelterbox.org
all over the world when im not delivering yachts
Old 27-12-2010, 13:34   #9

Boat: Ingrid 38 - Nada
Completely agree. I am so glad Vega has some generous sponsors, without whom this kind of work would be impossible. We did 2 trips to Haiti after the quake, one on our boat the schooner Liberty, (Schooner Liberty Fan Page | Facebook) and then aboard the schooner Halie and Matthew. The effort to complete these 2 trips safely was over whelming and exhausting for us. Its nice to see somebody has figured out how to do it on a sustainable basis.
Libertyhere is offline   Reply With Quote