Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 23:56   #1

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Historic Vessel 'Vega' - Long-Term Volunteer Crew

We are looking for long term volunteer crew to help with our humanitarian relief deliveries to isolated island communities in South East Asia. Male or female is not so important as a love for old boats, some experience sailing, willingness to learn, good with your hands, inventive, and able to at least keep a basic day watch. No Prima donas please... this kind of work needs a real team player. Just normal everyday people who want to help others and get out sailing while doing it. Have a look at our website first than think about it. Historical Vessel VEGA or give our blog a look at sailvega | 118 year old sailing vessel for humanitarian relief
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44   #2

Volunteer Crew

I may be interested in this. I am a nurse, plus much more.
Old 11-12-2010, 17:13   #3

Thanks Sayorroy can you contact me through the messages here or our website with a few details about yourself. Nurses are always welcome and most places we go the health workers are always asking for more training or just plain help. Teachers are always asking for first aid training ( in poor communities with no health workers when someone is injured the people often go to the teacher as being the most "educated") also if anyone is interested I just posted a load of new images of Vega at

Historic Vessel Vega new images | Facebook
Old 13-12-2010, 07:34   #4

hi im noel a south african ex commercial diver, grade 4 fishing boat captain, sailed my own yacht [25 foot] around the world,. im hands on fair carpenter, fair rigger, practicle, honest reliable, can do watches, navigate, good sailor, like to cook, and bake bread, worked as mate on survey/sidesacn/ magnetometor/salvage tug, from cyprus, never sailed on a tall ship, but would love too, keen to learn, could you guys use me. have done ships captain medical, advanced fire fighting,gmdss, electronic nav, but so what im not a scientist,
Old 13-12-2010, 07:45   #5

I would like to know more about your request such as places and dates. I am a 62 years old man with limited sailing experience. I have sailed several small boats including a 30 foot sloop that I owned for a few years. I lived in South Florida and sailed the Florida Keys and Bahamas. I can build and repair about anything. I have built a couple of houses, remodeled several. I have made my living designing for manufacturing for over 40 years. I am very mechanical minded. I have a commercial diver’s license to drive everything from a motorcycle to a semi-truck with triple trailer tankers carrying hazardous materials. I am a Licensed Practical Nurse. I am licensed in good standing in Tennessee and Florida. I am currently in college working toward my RN. I am unencumbered and can travel. I am divorced and have two grown sons. My plans are to live on a sailboat, travel, and help others with my nursing skills. I could be a valuable addition to your crew.
Old 15-12-2010, 16:42   #6

Boat: None yet
Send a message via AIM to spencer311 Send a message via Yahoo to spencer311
Hello,

My name is J. Keegan Quinn and I just applied on link on the Vega webpage in hopes that it helps me get in as a crewmember on the Vega. I am 26, male, and eager to learn as much as I can and help out in any ways necessary for the humanitarian relief.
Old 17-12-2010, 14:55   #7

Hello, I am very interested in helping you guys out, I'd love to help out the needy and learn something about sailing tall ships as well, my name's Chris Hamilton, I'm a Canadian citizen and a fully qualified yachtmaster offshore with 3000 miles experience and loads of other courses under my belt, I’m commercially endorsed with an ENG1 medical, and I'm one course away from my STCW 95 which I’m working on and will have shortly, I'm young (19 coming on 20), dedicated, and hard working. If you want to learn more about me you can contact Allabroad Sailing Academy in Gibraltar and talk to my instructors at 00350-200-50202 or info@asa.gi, please give me a number or e-mail I can reach you at and I can give you phone numbers so we can talk more, I'm free from January to March and then from May onward, but I may be able to cancel if you really need me, just one question: will the trip cost me anything like living expenses or food? because I'm kinda broke...

Thanks for your time
-Chris

My experience:

Practical:
-12 weeks, 2500 miles, yachtmaster training with Allabroad Sailing Academy in Gibraltar, Spain, and Portugal, largest ship Bavaria 44 ft, strongest wind force 8, tidal waters
-2 weeks, 300 miles on a tallship across the great lakes of Canada, strongest wind force 5, non-tidal waters
-2 weeks, 200 miles on a 50 ft catamaran in the British Virgin Islands of the Caribbean, strongest wind force 5, tidal waters

Theory:
-2 weeks of navigational theory (chart work and weather, day skipper, coastal skipper and yachtmaster)
-Additional courses:
-Diesel Engine
-VHF Radio
-Radar
-Electrical Systems
-Gelcoat and boat maintenance
-Ropework
-Sea Survival
-First-aid
-Personal Safety and Social Responsibility

Resume:
CHRIS HAMILTON

Home Phone: just ask
Mobile: just ask
E-mail: chris_h_27
@hotmail.com
Address: 5674 Gamsby Rd.
Orono, Ontario, L0B 1M0
Born: Feb 25th, 1991

Longterm Goal

To obtain a career constructing and repairing sailing vessels

Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications

-Fully qualified yachtmaster offshore for sailing vessels
-Qualified for use of VHF Radios
-2700 miles in tidal waters, 300 miles in non-tidal
-Additional courses include: Diesel engine, radar, electrical systems, gelcoat and boat maintenance, ropework, sea survival, first-aid, and personal safety and social responsibility
-Proficient with navigation and weather systems
-Wood shop training: safety and use of hand and power tools, construction of houses and furniture.
-Experienced Labourer
-Commercially endorsed with ENG1 medical

Work Experience

2004-2005
-Wendy’s Restaurant
- Part time employee
-Worked both in the kitchen and at the cash register preparing food and serving it to customers in a fast paced environment

2007-2010
-Brimacombe Ski hill
- Full-time Lift Attendant
-Was responsible for the safety of skiing and snowboarding customers, the loading and unloading of passengers on chairlifts and t-bars, and directing of parking

2008-2009
-Fred’s Fruit Market
- Full-time Labourer
Maintained an apple orchard, then picked and sorted the apples for shipping

-Outback Paintball
- Part-time Paintball Referee
Patrolled paintball matches to ensure the safety and general happiness of customers while maintaining their equipment

-Abbeywood United Van Lines
- Part-time Labourer
-Lifted households of furniture and belongings to a truck, stacked it all, then unloaded it at its destination

-Tim’s Rent-all
- Full-time Labourer
-Maintained and repaired a variety of machinery big and small, prepared machines for customers and lifted them to their vehicles, or delivered them if necessary

References - ask for contact info

Allabroad Sailing Academy
Sailing School where I became a yachtmaster

Brimacombe Ski Hill
Kassie Geisberger: Lift Staff Manager

Outback Paintball
Ryan Muizelaar: Owner

Abbeywood United Van Lines
Kevin Shaw: Supervisor

You can reach me at:

chris_h_27 :at: hotmail :dot: com

please reply, thank you!
Old 17-12-2010, 16:16   #8

Thanks Chris I have all your info now from your other post. Will email you later today.