Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 02:36   #16
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Re: Length of stay in the Med

Just be aware that France is under a state of emergency, measures which give exceptional powers to security services who temporarily reintroduced border controls.
Old 18-07-2017, 04:14   #17

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I looked into this idea as a way around the Schengen 90 day limit but was concerned about the potential tax exposure. Can you elaborate a little on how you are dealing with that?

Thanks
As a resident in EU you would likely need to pay VAT on your boat.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 05:12   #18
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I looked into this idea as a way around the Schengen 90 day limit but was concerned about the potential tax exposure. Can you elaborate a little on how you are dealing with that?

Thanks
Hi Skipmac !

As Anders stated, Yes as a resident in EU, you would need to pay VAT on your boat.

No as a visitor. EU regulations provide that visiting boats may stay for up 18 months without paying VAT.
Old 21-07-2017, 00:14   #19

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This recent thread should get you started:

I believe New Zealand may have some treaty arrangements with some EU countries which allow longer stays.
Is that for New Zealand citizens or NZ registered boats Ken?
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:04   #20

What about the case where you are not a EU resident, but a EU citizen ?
Your boat (let's say with a US flag or non Euro) can stay 18months, but you cannot as the owner of the boat with the same passport as the boat flag ... however, you could still stay the all 18months as a Eu citizen.

Basically, would customs make a differentiation between boat owner (non EU) and individual (Eu citizen, but non resident)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
Hi Skipmac !

As Anders stated, Yes as a resident in EU, you would need to pay VAT on your boat.

No as a visitor. EU regulations provide that visiting boats may stay for up 18 months without paying VAT.
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:13   #21

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-reel View Post
What about the case where you are not a EU resident, but a EU citizen ?
Your boat (let's say with a US flag or non Euro) can stay 18months, but you cannot as the owner of the boat with the same passport as the boat flag ... however, you could still stay the all 18months as a Eu citizen.

Basically, would customs makes a differentiation between boat owner (non EU) and individual (Eu citizen, but non resident)...
Yes. They are not the same issue. As an EU citizen, you don't have to worry about how long you stay. You're boat, however does. But in order to avoid paying the VAT, you just have to leave the EU for a day every 18 months. I'd probably do it every 12 months to be safe.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:50   #22

Boat: ask the judges!

You have to separate the European Union from a geographical view.

Within the geographical EU you have the finance EU, the Schengen area (covers 26 countries). If you are in the rules are pretty much the „same“. You can stay 90 days even if you are leaving the Schengen room for some time. If you are hitting UK you are allowed to stay 180 days in the EU (yeah call it consistent). But UK will leave the EU soon.

Just leaving the Schengen area and get back into Schengen. But you have to request a new Visa in some situations, what is some kind of easy :-).

If you are sailing from italy to croatia for example, you are leaving eu. CRO are pretty strict. Even if you are leaving the CRO territory for 5 miles, and be sure they will take notice, you will have to check in again. So check your charts! CRO will be a member of the EU soon, so they have to show their strict observance of any rule.

If you are younger then 30 or in some cases 35 you can get a 1 or 2 years working holiday visa. You don‘t need to work :-)

Even if staying longer then your visa will allow and this is not well controlled for example in italy, don‘t! If they check, for example in italy or spain, you could be punished extremly hard ($$$$). Also in the northern states where punishments are ajar to your financial assets. It is rare but ........

France offers long term EU visas easily. Check out the nearest french embassy or online. Think this will be the easiest way. Relatives (US) of mine got a 5 months visa but could get a longer if they wanted to. But!! You have to get intonthe EU via France. Easily if you are sailing :-).

Welcome to the Europen Union where everything is samsame *LOL*
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 15:32   #23

Boat: Island Packet 420

As an EU resident, you still have to be careful to not be subject to the income tax of the country where you applied for residency. The typical rule is where-ever you spend more than 180 days is your country of residence. But you need to read the tax treaties. I have read the US/ Spanish tax treaty, and most European countries have similar provisions- you are taxed by the country where you have the closest association. I do not work in Spain (I have a retiree's visa, so I'm not allowed to). However, I still own a house in the USA and I do not own property in Spain, so I am considered, for income tax purposes- a USA resident. There is nothing for Spain to tax me on. I did leave the EU this past summer to avoid VAT on my boat- easiest place to get to was Smir, Morocco. Don't confuse residency with citizenship.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote