Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 08:27   #1

To pricey?

Hey everyone, first time posting here. Love all the info on here. I'm looking at a 1978 islander Freeport for sale but I think the guy is asking to much and want to get some other opinions. The head is off the engine. Water and fuel tanks need to be replaced. Electrical needs to be done. Most of the cabinets have been pulled off. I'm looking to build a blue water cruiser and I want something with extensive work. I went and saw the boat and fell in love but the guy is asking 24 grand for a hull with some 1970s cabinetry. I would think the value is more around 10 grand. What do you think? Picture is old and she doesn't look half as good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	611314_0_230620101256_2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	157319  
sailing81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59   #2

Boat: Malö 40H
Re: To pricey?

Yes it sounds like he is on crack.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing81 View Post
Hey everyone, first time posting here. Love all the info on here. I'm looking at a 1978 islander Freeport for sale but I think the guy is asking to much and want to get some other opinions. The head is off the engine. Water and fuel tanks need to be replaced. Electrical needs to be done. Most of the cabinets have been pulled off. I'm looking to build a blue water cruiser and I want something with extensive work. I went and saw the boat and fell in love but the guy is asking 24 grand for a hull with some 1970s cabinetry. I would think the value is more around 10 grand. What do you think? Picture is old and she doesn't look half as good.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Your first post is one that is really asking for an opinion on value. Opinions on the value of anything will vary.

In this case, since this boat has an inoperative engine, is old, needs water and fuel tanks replaced, and has had some or most of the interior removed, in my OPINION, this is NOT a good value if you paid the asking price.

But, it depends on what YOU want from a boat.

Looking at the list of MAJOR things that are necessary to fix this boat, and realizing that there may be MANY more needs that are not known or listed in your post (e.g. Plumbing, sails, running rigging, standing rigging, hull work, rudder work, etc.), I think this boat would NOT be a good choice if you have a limited budget or limited time.

There are MANY other boats that have comparable Asking Prices (Less Than $30K), but are in much better condition and would possibly cost you much less in the long run.

To see some other good to very good condition boats I found on the market (the types and some examples) that had an Asking Price of Less Than $30K (USD), see this linked thread. I encourage you to look it over and see the condition of the boats and their asking prices. Then compare those to what you have linked above.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Good luck on your boat search!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03   #4

Boat: B24

I think the values is whatever you're willing to pay -- but unless the auxiliary power and rigging is bullet-proof, right down to the chain-plates/bulkheads, I'd guess your $10K estimation is closer to what I'd offer as (reading between your lines) it sounds like the cabin/tankage/plumbing (electrical?) is in need a complete refurbishment -- no small item, and unless you are handy with fabrication (as verses installations) and already have the shop/tools, can chew up a not inconsiderable budget, quickly... on the other hand, if you have the manual/technical skills and the tools, it may be no big deal other than your sweat-equity...

Always like the Islander series -- easy to conjure of dreams of distant voyages and uninhabited islands...
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sounds like the boat is currently a pile of parts with no (running) engine. There won't be a big crowd of folks coming to snatch that up. Offer what you are willing to offer, and if the guy doesn't like it...he can see if he does any better over the winter. Or next year. And the yard fees add up.

Just be gentle, you know? "I can only go $10k, I know you want more than that, but if you change your mind, you can always give me a call."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Offer him 10K, and tell him the offer is reduced by 1K every day he takes to think about it. You will know at that time if you own the boat. It works.
Old 08-10-2017, 15:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Walk, you don’t need that headache.
Ask yourself do you have another 40K to put into it? If you do is it money down the drain?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 16:49   #8

Boat: Leopard 39

We all are drawn to certain vessels (and women), regardless of value and suitability. Resist that. Begin with a mission statement for what you want your boat to do for you, research boats up to that task, and then start shopping, for real. Just MHO.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 17:28   #9

Wow thanks for the responses. I'm definitely handy, or so I think I am, and I'm ready to dump 40 to 60 k into it. Yeah I'm going to hold at 10k. Thanks again!
sailing81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 17:48   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing81 View Post
Wow thanks for the responses. I'm definitely handy, or so I think I am, and I'm ready to dump 40 to 60 k into it. Yeah I'm going to hold at 10k. Thanks again!
3 years (5-6 full days per week) and 100k if you do all the work yourself.
Sounds ridiculous Doesn't it ?

I've done it three times and I guarantee my numbers are closer than yours.
Old 08-10-2017, 17:55   #11

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Walk, you don’t need that headache.
Ask yourself do you have another 40K to put into it? If you do is it money down the drain?
No need to be so kind.

RUN don't walk.

This is not the boat you are looking for. Move along. Nothing to see here.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price