Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 12:32   #1

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

Any comments on this?

I know that sailing in Mexico is easy (generally) and some other places in the world, with light winds, sunny skies, and flat water, most of the time.

But more often than not I see cruising boats which are not prepared for tough conditions.

Even here a crossing to La Paz or a rounding of Cabo Corrientes can turn nasty.

What happens to the boat in Photo 2 if they have to go where the boat in photo 1 is going?

Do we all have to have two kayaks, two SUP's, a rigid dingy on the back, not to mention a deck full of jerry cans, and an 80lb poodle on board who can't poo except ashore?

Are our sailor friends just depending on luck or are they ignorant of the possibility, or what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing Upwind vs Toys.jpg
Views:	2609
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	190539   Click image for larger version

Name:	1460-Once Around Close Up.jpg
Views:	2199
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	190540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	133949-Milagro-Ready for Heavy Weather.jpg
Views:	2150
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	190541  
Old 21-04-2019, 12:47   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Is This a Disturbing Trend, or Not.

Not really a fair comparison. Boat one is sailing and every thing stowed for sea, boat 2 is tied to the dock in good weather. Everything probably has it place when underway.
Old 21-04-2019, 13:39   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We're gonna need a bigger boat!

Although I agree with you that those are some extreme examples, we are also guilty of putting more stuff on the boat than we should, although we stow everything away when on passage. We also don't have an arch but we do have davits with a small panel on it. When we prepare for an overnight or all day coastal/offshore passage the dinghy goes upside down on the deck and is lashed tightly. If we are just going around the corner the blow-up paddle boards stay lashed to the rail and the dinghy stays in the davits but on passage they get deflated and put below deck or strapped down under the dinghy.

We have diesel fuel mounted on the rails but I'm really questioning their usefulness. We have only had two instances where the diesel fuel got us over a hump when I miscalculated fuel consumption so we only really need to carry extra gasoline for the dinghy and the generator, which could be stored at the stern rail.

We had solar panels on the rails so they could wing out but removed them after we determined that they constituted both a visual hazard and a general obstruction for docking. They went onto the bimini but they are somewhat of a hazard there as well (*guilty*). I think hard tops are more suitable for rigid solar panels.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 14:05   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have to agree. I'd be a little nervous with all that stuff hanging out there. But if the area you sail does not see big winds or big waves, I guess it's ok for them. Somewhere I have in my photos of a local boat, old Islander, I saw out a while back that had an enormous arch and RIB with 10hp hanging on it, solar panels and lots of toys too. It looked way out of proportion to the boat. And occasionally we do get some good breezes and wet waves slapping us here. Obviously he makes it around our islands with that set-up, and I am sure the kids love the stuff, but I just keep thinking of all the stuff that CAN go wrong, even if it doesn't. I am probably just a nervous ol' dad, but now the LESS stuff that can be a problem, the better, for MY own peace of mind. I still have the toys, but they can be deflated, lashed down safely or put away when we have a breezy day ahead to minimize exposure to wind and waves. I do have one small flat kayak and small paddleboard for the kids that are lashed between the lifelines and house, but they offer no more windage/wave exposure than the house. I'll leave others to their own devices if it works for them. I will definitely concede it is not convenient at all to put everything away before setting out, but after about a mile on a windy day and I am really glad I did!
Maybe I need a bigger boat?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 14:11   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't worry about other people's boats, how they decide to cruise, or how decide to get there.
Old 21-04-2019, 15:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Any comments on this?

I know that sailing in Mexico is easy (generally) and some other places in the world, with light winds, sunny skies, and flat water, most of the time.

But more often than not I see cruising boats which are not prepared for tough conditions.

What happens to the boat in Photo 2 if they have to go where the boat in photo 1 is going?

Do we all have to have two kayaks, two SUP's, a rigid dingy on the back, not to mention a deck full of jerry cans, and an 80lb poodle on board who can't poo except ashore?

Are our sailor friends just depending on luck or are they ignorant of the possibility, or what?
It is a very disturbing trend, and one that I don't worry about what other people do. I don't bother telling them what could happen, unless they ask my advice.

People rig boats for ocean crossing who have never crossed an ocean before. Who have never been in a 45 knot gale with 20 foot breaking waves. Who have never seen a wave sweep across a deck with 5 feet deep of green water. Who have never seen a dinghy ripped off davits. Who have never seen rail mounted solar panels rip stanchions off decks.

What is suitable for island hopping in the Bahamas is not suitable for the North Atlantic or North Pacific.

There are lots of people here and in other places who will tell anybody who listens that davits are a perfectly acceptable place to store a dinghy at sea. Who say that surfboards live happily on the stanchions. Those kinds of things are just fine and dandy... until they aren't.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 16:06   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What will happen? They won't have anymore kayaks. Ha ha ha. That's about it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 16:15   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't worry about other people's boats, how they decide to cruise, or how decide to get there.
I worry about what they lose overboard and if they get too close to me.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 16:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Actually, Chotu, that is not the only thing that happens.

If the kayak is hit hard enough by a deck sweeping wave, it will go overboard, and take the stanchions it is attached to with it. Possibly leaving holes in the deck... Just the thing you want under those conditions...

Again, not a concern in the kind of coastal cruising most people do. But on a 2 week ocean passage you have no idea what conditions you will encounter a week out.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 16:59   #10

Boat: Pearson 323

Each to his own.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 16:59   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Or one of them will go overboard while trying to rescue a kayak that is half hanging off the boat.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 18:17   #12

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Someone doesn't recognise a coastal cruiser when they see one. It's horses for courses.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 18:28   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Any comments on this?

We are in the Bahamas currently and seeing a lot of boats outfitted that way, which is fine for the type of island hopping that is common here. But I grew up sailing NE Atlantic waters. I purposely didn't put davits on this boat, just to avoid the temptation to hang the rib there. When we're doing short hops we tow the dinghy with the motor removed. Not the best strategy but in shirt hops you can pick weather. Otherwise it's on the aft deck lashed down.
I've been pooped in an aft cockpit boat and know the feeling of all that weight on the stern, while feeling the but puckering moments hoping the cockpit drained before the next wave hit. Fortunately that boat drained fast and the only bad result was my shorty sea boots full of water. I have knee high boots now.
We're heading south from the Bahamas to get south of the hurricane zone before the season, you can bet the decks will be cleared and the dinghy lashed on deck.
I never tell anyone how to run their boat unless asked. I just know how I'd do it.
To each their own, but I know how my luck runs, so I'll hedge my bets.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 19:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Again, not a concern in the kind of coastal cruising most people do. But on a 2 week ocean passage you have no idea what conditions you will encounter a week out.
When you go to sea you are playing for keeps. Where we sail the one day trip around Cabo Corientes can turn into a heavy seaway and there is no getting away from it. The three day passage to La Paz can be three days of hell, if you are not prepared for bad weather. The forecasts are not always right.

Usually we get away with it. Not always.

But there is a further issue. When the waves are breaking over the boat and things on deck or lashed to the railings are trying to get away, the skipper is going to go forward to try to save the day. That in itself is risky and in the meanwhile the boat is not attended to.

This is bad seamanship.
Old 21-04-2019, 19:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Someone doesn't recognise a coastal cruiser when they see one. It's horses for courses.
How do you know what course you will encounter when you leave port?