Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 03:15   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
Hank on drifter without stay

Hi guys I need little help.
Few days ago I got 16sqm drifter that is hank on type. When I attach it to stay it is inside of lifelines, but regarding size of it I would like to fly it outside of them. I have 60cm bowsprit from which I woul like to fly it, and when I connected it without stay it lost shape on luff.
1.) Regarding this I think I need something to use as stay when I hoist it from bowsprit. Am I right or I am missing something?
2.) If I am right what to use for that? Does it need to be ss cable (it is too stiff to store with sail) or Can I use 3mm dyneema since boat is 19ft and sail is 16sqm?
3.) Also if I want to furl it I need this thing? Since it is hank on sail can I use regullar bottom furler for it (made for jib)?
Thanks in advance guys
__________________

chuspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 03:21   #2
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Hey mate, I'm trying to visualize all that, but some photos would help.
__________________

Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 03:25   #3
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Anyway, you shouldn't need a stay necessarily, but dyneema would certainly do. I don't see why it would not be able to clear the lifelines though. But you could raise the tack to avoid that. The luff doesn't need to be dead straight, so I am not sure what you mean by loosing its shape. Perhaps it is too large for your boat?
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 03:56   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

When I am at boat I will make photos.
When I attach Tack to tack point on boat ant tighten hallyard I have about 5 inches to get over lifelines, and stahchions are appx 20inches tall.
By loosing shape I mean luff is not straight, it is more like gennaker then since hanks are not conected to anything to keep it straight.
chuspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 04:16   #5
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuspy View Post
When I am at boat I will make photos.
When I attach Tack to tack point on boat ant tighten hallyard I have about 5 inches to get over lifelines, and stahchions are appx 20inches tall.
By loosing shape I mean luff is not straight, it is more like gennaker then since hanks are not conected to anything to keep it straight.
That's acceptable for a drifter, it can be loose luffed. Assuming that you don't have a pullpit that distorts the foot, you should be able to get it to set outside the lifelines with the sheets running outside the shrouds. If you have room aloft, I see no reason why you can't raise the sail an additional 5 inches.
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 04:24   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 86
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Hoist a single block with a becket on its bottom.

Use easily coiled SS wire rope or just a dacron line from bow sprit to block bottom.

Hoist the block with line to operate as halyard , and use it as you would any stay.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 04:31   #7
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post
Hoist a single block with a becket on its bottom.

Use easily coiled SS wire rope or just a dacron line from bow sprit to block bottom.

Hoist the block with line to operate as halyard , and use it as you would any stay.
Yea, although for a 19' boat an ss stay is probably a waste of money for this application.
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 04:47   #8
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

If he wants to straighten the luff, and easier option may be to incorporate a dyneema bolt-rope into it, or simply some 12 strand polyester with the ability to adjust it at the tack.
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 04:51   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

I was thinking of making "stay" from 3mm dyneema with thimbles on ends. On bootom end I would put shackle and connect it with tack on bowsprit, and on top also shackle that would connect hallyard with dyneema and head of the sail. Dyneema would pass trought shanks of the sail, and I belive that I could tension it with winch as it is on stay.

@FastRed why to hoist a block and what to do with it? As I understand on tack I connect it to sprit, and to becket other part of line, but don't get else
chuspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 05:06   #10
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuspy View Post
I was thinking of making "stay" from 3mm dyneema with thimbles on ends. On bootom end I would put shackle and connect it with tack on bowsprit, and on top also shackle that would connect hallyard with dyneema and head of the sail. Dyneema would pass trought shanks of the sail, and I belive that I could tension it with winch as it is on stay.
(
No reason not too. It would work fine.
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 05:56   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Also, I presume that I can use conventional roller furling with this setup and I don't need top down?
chuspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 06:00   #12
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cabo Verde
Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Posts: 1,245
Images: 26
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuspy View Post
Also, I presume that I can use conventional roller furling with this setup and I don't need top down?
Roller furling of the foresail shouldn't interfere with the drifter if you have the rigging needed to hoist it.
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 06:05   #13
Registered User
 
Bill O's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Posts: 1,404
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuspy View Post
Hi guys I need little help.
Few days ago I got 16sqm drifter that is hank on type. When I attach it to stay it is inside of lifelines, but regarding size of it I would like to fly it outside of them. I have 60cm bowsprit from which I woul like to fly it, and when I connected it without stay it lost shape on luff.
1.) Regarding this I think I need something to use as stay when I hoist it from bowsprit. Am I right or I am missing something?
2.) If I am right what to use for that? Does it need to be ss cable (it is too stiff to store with sail) or Can I use 3mm dyneema since boat is 19ft and sail is 16sqm?
3.) Also if I want to furl it I need this thing? Since it is hank on sail can I use regullar bottom furler for it (made for jib)?
Thanks in advance guys

First off it sounds like the drifter may be slightly too large for your boat and the correctly sized one should clear your lifelines similar to a jib/genoa.

Have used the hank on drifters in the past and they do work well. Never had to use an additional stay though Used the existing fore stay (all hank on head sails), but if sized correctly (for stronger puffs) the added dyneema or any other low stretch line should work as a stay.

My question for you would be to you have enough halyards to pull up the stay and then raise the drifter on your baot?

The point of the hank on was to be able to drop the sail on the deck unassisted. I've never tried a bottom furler w/a hank on nor the furler w/o the top fitting/swivel. I understand that having a furler out on the sprit would be advantageous to keep the sail from going in the water/possibly under the boat, but do think you need the top swivel to make it work properly. Then not certain the hank on will furl like a sail inserted into foil, but could experiment and let us know how it works.
__________________
Bill O.
KB3YMH
https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 08:40   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alert Bay, Vancouver Island
Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Posts: 1,796
Images: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Two things you might try. If the halyard is not on a winch put a tackle on the bottom of the stay, more effective to tension it by hauling down. If you use a dyneema stay the only issue would be chafe, I would not want to use metal hanks on it but would replace with tape.
roland stockham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 08:47   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 8
Re: Hank on drifter without stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Roller furling of the foresail shouldn't interfere with the drifter if you have the rigging needed to hoist it.
You misunderstud me. It won't interfere since it will be on bowsprit. My qouestion was do I have to buy top-down furler (for gennaker, code 0...) or can I use conventional furler that i will mount on bowsprit.
__________________

chuspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removable Stay(sail) or not to stay... jcmcdowell Monohull Sailboats 11 30-09-2018 15:10
Hank on vs. furler for Solent stay jls095 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 70 16-11-2017 05:49
St Augustine - To stay or Not to stay alsobrsp Atlantic & the Caribbean 1 17-01-2013 13:07
For Sale: Stay sail, Storm Sail, & Head Stay MoonlightSailor Classifieds Archive 1 18-12-2009 11:27
For Sale: Stay sail, storm sail, & head stay MoonlightSailor Classifieds Archive 0 31-10-2009 16:25

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.