Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 23:29   #1
lh4

Info required on Cavalier 39

Hi Cruisers everywhere. We’ve decided to finally take the plunge and purchase our first keelboat.
We’re located in New Zealand and have owned everything from Optimist dinghies, to Tornado catamarans to a 26ft trailer yacht. With this Covid 19 situation & the fact NZ’s borders are essentially closed, we thought it would be an opportune time to upskill in the big-boat arena.
After several months of searching we’ve made an offer on a Cavalier 39 Mk2, built in NZ in 1982.
She has a new engine, and the rigging was last replaced in 2009.
We hope to have the survey completed next week, upon which the sales contract depends.
If anyone has any hints / tips / insights as to any potential pitfalls we’d be glad to hear them.
Thanks in advance,
LH
lh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 01:33   #2

Re: Info required on Cavalier 39

We have a cavalier 39 Mk1 1975. The boat is in Lyttelton Chch currently but we bought it in Auckland. Happy to talk about these boats all day. Great yachts.
PM me.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 01:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, LH.

See ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ion-56532.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 02:10   #4

Presuming its the boat in Seaview Wgtn. Looks like an awesome deal and tidy boat.
Most hulls will have a few osmosis bubbles. If its not major I wouldn't panic.
With fresh rigging, new engine and looks like newish electrics it shouldn't immediately need upgrades. Paintwork looks fine but hard to tell from photo. Presume stuffing box and bearings were checked when it was repowered.
Don't know Lombardi engines but it will likely give you 6-7 knots at 2-3 litres per hour if propped correctly.
Old 18-04-2020, 16:39   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh4 View Post
Hi Cruisers everywhere. We’ve decided to finally take the plunge and purchase our first keelboat.
We’re located in New Zealand and have owned everything from Optimist dinghies, to Tornado catamarans to a 26ft trailer yacht. With this Covid 19 situation & the fact NZ’s borders are essentially closed, we thought it would be an opportune time to upskill in the big-boat arena.
After several months of searching we’ve made an offer on a Cavalier 39 Mk2, built in NZ in 1982.
She has a new engine, and the rigging was last replaced in 2009.
We hope to have the survey completed next week, upon which the sales contract depends.
If anyone has any hints / tips / insights as to any potential pitfalls we’d be glad to hear them.
Thanks in advance,
LH
The new engine is great but I don't think I'd be crowing about standing rigging that was eleven years old - good thing you're getting it surveyed as this does raise some red flags for me.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 17:10   #6
lh4

Agreed re the rigging - in fact I’m not 100% sure she will be incurable locally with rigging of that age. I’m waiting for the insurance broker to confirm, and I also specifically included a rig survey as part of the T’s & C’s. Thanks for your input!
Old 18-04-2020, 18:32   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh4 View Post
Agreed re the rigging - in fact I’m not 100% sure she will be incurable locally with rigging of that age. I’m waiting for the insurance broker to confirm, and I also specifically included a rig survey as part of the T’s & C’s. Thanks for your input!
Yep, with rigging that old I shudder to guess what other completely outdated kit is included with this deal
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 21:49   #8

“I shudder to guess what other completely outdated kit is included with this deal...”. That sounds just a little dramatic.
It’s a cheap boat. There will be lots of old kit on it. That’s how many of us buy boats. Old kit shouldn’t break a deal... just lower the price ...if it needs replacing. This boat is almost 30 years old but if it’s a good design and seaworthy then it’s just a matter of buying it priced right knowing that the rig will need replacing... cabling may need replacing... seacocks may need renewing... etc... but that’s not a reason to write the boat off. The joy of buying an older boat is getting on the water now and upgrading as you go... starting with safety and moving on to comfort.
Old 18-04-2020, 23:36   #9
lh4

It’s all good NZMAL, this isn’t my first Rodeo! Ha ha.
Just as a matter of interest - who did you use for your survey when you bought Blue Dolphin, and did you find the survey useful?
Old 18-04-2020, 23:46   #10

We used Mike Menzies. He told us we needed a full hull treatment for Osmosis and then quoted his treatment process. Missed more relevant stuff. I'd be more careful next time and use someone recommended.... plus can't beat a good conversation with previous owners.
Old 19-04-2020, 03:42   #11

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

I am based in NZ, too. I have had a good number of boats surveyed here and overseas, with one or two pretty unhappy results. I have learnt that membership of some association or other does not guarantee quality of work. If you PM me I would give you some info on who I have had do what and what I think of their work.
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:41   #12

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Yep, with rigging that old I shudder to guess what other completely outdated kit is included with this deal
If outdated rigging is eleven years old then I've never had any in date during my years of boat ownership. Dates mean very little on their own. A little inspection and common sense goes a long way. New gear can fail if endowed with blind faith.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 15:42   #13
lh4

Agreed! Workmanship and quality of gear when first installed to me is equally important as age. Not to mention the life it’s had since installed. The local riggers will complete a report for me, and should provide a maintenance programme based on their best guess.
Old 19-04-2020, 16:09   #14

Make sure they check the chain-plates, they may have to dig around in the saloon cupboards...
Old 12-05-2020, 05:08   #15

Hello LH
I see the Cav 39 is still for sale on trademe.
It looks like a very tidy boat.
Was wondering what the survey report came back with?
Was there any bad osmosis?
Cheers
ICsails is offline   Reply With Quote